Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

6' 2".
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wanders in, eating a bowl of granola and yoghurt with fresh kiwi*

I really want a bacon sandwich.
But I'm off the idea of factory farmed bacon at the moment.
So I'm having this instead.
AND I had manuka honey in my tea.

Its alright, though.
Healthier, I am sure.
I put in extra dried apricots for a bit of flavour.
Shop bought granola is never as interesting as you want it to be.
Never enough of the things you like. I always have to add pineapple or dried apricots.

Toodle pip, chaps. See you in another year when I probably still
won't have got any fitter or lost any weight.

Wink

Gerald62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:45 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
As he said, cross trainer. I don't do treadmill because my knees aren't good, plus I have a weak ankle due to a bad football tackle years ago. Or pick up a cheap exercise bike or rowing machine.

I agree with this. I found some pretty decent cheap cross trainers here if you're in the UK

https://www.fitness-savvy.co.uk/product-category/gym-equipment/cardio-machines/cross-trainers-ellipticals/

I used mine for a while because of joint pain in my knees, but to be honest, once that was sorted I got back to running and other cardio.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here, but now I am awaiting my oven chips cooking (apparently they're battered, who ever heard of such a thing! Shocked )

Can I ask about knee pain?
How do these cross trainers work.

Cos last time I attempted to spend time at the gym, they didn't look like a whole lot of fun, and I was so unfit that even getting on a treadmill and increasing my cardio was hard enough work. And I hated the exercise bikes.

But if they are better for people with older limbs and joints, then I need to find out just how useful they really are. Even if I have to take them at my own pace (i.e., fat old woman pace).

I'm determined to do just enough cardio, and eat just enough "well behaved" food to avoid having to take statins or other old age medicines as long as possible.

At the moment I'm *just* avoiding Ramipril (ignoring might be a better word)

I'm not denying myself premium food OR couch potatoing.
Ever.

I'm determined to continue believing that good health is entirely genetic and nothing to do with ridiculous fitness regimes, denial of pleasure, or impossibly unpleasant dietary practices.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Can I ask about knee pain?
How do these cross trainers work.

Elliptical cross trainers let you exercise standing up, and have a movement that almost completely removes any impact. Knee pain can be many, many things, so can't say for you. But if I run, I get leg pains, I don't get them on a cross trainer. They nearly always have handles as well, it's best to hold on to them for balance, it's up to you how much you push and pull with your arms. You can even give your legs a rest and just use your arms for a bit. It's important to warm up before going hell for leather. they have a lot of pre-programmed settings, to simulate hill walking etc

Quote:
Cos last time I attempted to spend time at the gym, they didn't look like a whole lot of fun, and I was so unfit that even getting on a treadmill and increasing my cardio was hard enough work. And I hated the exercise bikes.

If you hated the exercise bike, you may or may not hate the cross trainer, they are nothing like treadmills though.

Quote:
But if they are better for people with older limbs and joints, then I need to find out just how useful they really are. Even if I have to take them at my own pace (i.e., fat old woman pace).

Exercise at your own pace, no one in a gym really cares what other people are doing, but iyou might get something out of group sessions.

Quote:
I'm determined to do just enough cardio, and eat just enough "well behaved" food to avoid having to take statins or other old age medicines as long as possible.

I'm determined to continue believing that good health is entirely genetic and nothing to do with ridiculous fitness regimes, denial of pleasure, or impossibly unpleasant dietary practices.

Slight oxymoron there, we'll put that down to the "human condition".

I agree that good health is largely genetic, we can influence it a bit.
Fitness less so though, it takes real effort, most of this effort is mental and not physical.

If I compared myself to other club cyclists, I could get downhearted, cos I'll never make the clubs race team, and never win a time trial, and never top the weekly leader board for distance, or elevation

If I compare myself to myself though, I'm pretty awesome! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time this year I've cycled over 200 miles in a week, only some of it was delivery work.

Got 80 miles left to win the Race At Your Pace 600 mile in a month medal.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t train on Friday because Easter innit Sad
I was looking forward to training tomorrow, but not now.

Yesterday my lower back went snap in a big way Shocked
Today I can hardly move and am in a lot of pain Shocked .

I’ve got work commitments today and it’s gonna be a fugging struggle.
I recon I’m going to have to get the codine out for this.

Hmmm? I might be able to train my wrists Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, poor Peperoncino

Don't take too much codeine ... remember Elvis Laughing

Maybe you could try Lloyds cream (salicylic acid) or Tiger balm (assorted essential oils, basically) They both work better for me when I have a dodgy back.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now completed 2,000 miles my bicycle in 2019.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided after a break wallowing in depression that I'll carry on with circuits and weights even though I haven't now got that precious CV workout. I've been trying to find other things to occupy myself while I thought about this - gardening, washing the bike and the car, and then a couple of rides out, bank balance be damned. That last one did the trick, and I feel better about it all now (don't know why, I'm still living under a financial Sword of Damocles).

Now the weather has warmed up a bit, I do at least get a bit of a sweat on again, so maybe that'll be enough to keep me a bit trimmer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained tonight, but not the hard physical stuff.
More about technique .
I’m not complaining, I still got to train a bit and haven’t made my back any worse...... happy days.

Hmmm, I might of let myself down afterwards, I bought a Mc flurry on the way home Embarassed

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's the Race At Your Pace 600 miles in April cycling medal in the bag then. Just went out for a quick spin after work, 3 miles needed, did 20 and got done Strava PRs and one top ten. 😁

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 25 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
So that's the Race At Your Pace 600 miles in April cycling medal in the bag then. Just went out for a quick spin after work, 3 miles needed, did 20 and got done Strava PRs and one top ten. 😁

Shocked
Someone on Strava just liked my effort, they have cycled every day for 365 days straight, and over 5000miles this year.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Decided after a break wallowing in depression that I'll carry on with circuits and weights even though I haven't now got that precious CV workout. I've been trying to find other things to occupy myself while I thought about this - gardening, washing the bike and the car, and then a couple of rides out, bank balance be damned. That last one did the trick, and I feel better about it all now (don't know why, I'm still living under a financial Sword of Damocles).

Now the weather has warmed up a bit, I do at least get a bit of a sweat on again, so maybe that'll be enough to keep me a bit trimmer.

Are there no PAYG gyms near you? I know they work out expensive if you're regularly going, but once a week wouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think? The spit and sawdust gyms near me (not what you're looking for I know) charge about £2 a session.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spit and sawdust gyms, can be the best ones

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
the spit and sawdust gyms, can be the best ones

Yeah, don't tend to be geared towards cardio though.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now smashed 700 miles cycling this month.

Did a part trail ride to the pub, with a few detours. Got a string of Strava PRs. My hybrid which i did this route on last yearnow has panniers full of stuff, and a huge heavy hiplock, so i am definitely fitter than last year.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went running with my run club, just a gentle 5k, cycled there and back. Back into the swing of core and weights too. Healthy diet, not so much...

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did body conditioning tonight Shocked 60 seconds with your hands in the air while someone punches you all over Shocked , followed by 60 seconds full pelt on the bag.
Rinse and repeat until your legs wobble and you can’t stand straight.
60 seconds skipping as fast as you can.
Fick! I was puffing and blowing, even my toes were sweating Shocked .

Plus normal lesson stuff.
Something that’s grinding my gears is I try and I try and my instructor just keeps telling me how shit I am.
I might not be as quick and supple as the younger learners but I do listen and I really am trying.

Someone tell me this is doing me good? Please Eh?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I figured I can sort of manage bench dips. Not full range, but perhaps enough to be beneficial. Just so long as they don't pop my dodgy shoulder.

And have managed to improvise a kind of bench press exercise. This one I can do better.

It's a bloody pain getting into this after you've already wrecked yourself Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:17 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
*wanders in, eating a bowl of granola and yoghurt with fresh kiwi*

You CANNIBAL!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 02 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of Deliveroo this morning, and this evening I got a Time Trial personal best

I was disappointed when I got my time, as my average moving speed was under 21mph, but then I realised it was a personal best, and was 20.96 average speed so near...

It was the 10 mile course and I did it in 28:37 last year fastest I made it round was 30:01

coasted on dowhills to get breathing under control and it was breezy and I had a slightly loose jacket, I think I can go a lot quicker Very Happy

annoyingly I didn't realise that the evening leagues next race is this Sunday, I'll have to miss it, as I'm hoping to cycle Bedford - Portsmouth. Oh well.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 03 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to reduce my 5k times. To do this I need to start running longer distances and tackle hills, both things that I dislike intensely! Dammit!

Its a good job that I live at the top of a set of hills, I guess I can run up and down them a few times Crying or Very sad

Also I have entered a 5k race next month with chip timers and everything. I fully expect to finish last or at least towards the very back of the pack but I am going to do it anyway! Next weekend I have an organised 5k that isn't Parkrun AND you get a medal for it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 04 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOMS injury to calf muscles again! Mad

Having discovered that my knees aren't up to proper running, I thought to go back to jogging on the spot, as I did find some good benefits (some cv, builds calf muscles, helps to keep the flab down - all noticeable effects). Not as good as running proper, but need to do something for cv. But I haven't done it in a while, so thought I'd just start easy, 10mins, remembering the DOMS from last time.

And still....!!

So once you've had this injury, does it leave you vulnerable to repeats for ever after? My calves have been a little more tender ever since the first time. Not seriously so, just something I've generally noticed.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 04 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get DOMS - (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness for the lurkers) but I don't consider it an injury as such but more of a nuisance to train around.

I did a time trial on Thursday, feeling it today, but I'm sure I'll be okay to cycle tomorrow

if you are getting a little more tender each time, i.e getting noticeably worse than the time before, that is something to watch though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 24 of 29