Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
www.thegymgroup.com

Promo Code JAN2018

free single day pass

Just booked it in, didn't have to give bank details, not sure how the land lies there, I know where it is, so I will probably jog there, see what they've got, and hopefully let rip on an eliptical cross trainer if they have one.

It's good, busy as fuck in the evening. There's a new gym that's opened up on Interchange retail part that's not as quite as good so Mrs WTH reckons.

Depends what you want from it really, The Gym has a good free weights and functional section. Rowers, tradmills, cross trainers, spin bikes, loads of machines, half a dozen cable stations, two squat racks and a couple of power stations.

It should get a little quieter now as the new year new me lot will stop going.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ride this morning. Managed to get round the course without changing down at all.
Feeling a bit fitter. I've noticed I no longer feel the need for a go on the oxygen bottle after the four flight stair clime to get to the changing rooms in work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've properly destroyed my leg, I have run since new years day.
I've managed to do a couple of sessions on the turbo trainer over the last couple off weeks, hopefully I can build up the miles on the bike while my leg gets better because my weight and my fitness are beginning to suffer.

I think also I'm going have to see a physio for the leg. FML

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm fond of saying, I keep fit to ride dirt bikes, I don't ride dirt bikes to keep fit.

However after a days off roading yesterday, I skipped my work out last night, and won't run today.

Hoping this evening to do 100+ press ups across 5 unequal sets with 90sec rest, amongst other things. Eating properly again, and getting fit.

Disappointed that my fitness test on the gymgroup cross trainer came back as average. Lots of work to do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:12 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good workout at the gym on saturday night. I increased weight on virtually everything and also ran on the treadmill for the first time in years. On Sunday I went looking at replacing my mountain bike and looking at what was around now having owned it for around 12 years. I am not in a position to pay £600 ish for something at the moment so will have a go tomorrow at tweaking my position on it to try and see if I can set it up better.

Ultimately I would like to cycle to work and back but it will require a new bike for that, the 26" wheels are too slow.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I had a good workout at the gym on saturday night. I increased weight on virtually everything and also ran on the treadmill for the first time in years. On Sunday I went looking at replacing my mountain bike and looking at what was around now having owned it for around 12 years. I am not in a position to pay £600 ish for something at the moment so will have a go tomorrow at tweaking my position on it to try and see if I can set it up better.

Ultimately I would like to cycle to work and back but it will require a new bike for that, the 26" wheels are too slow.

Tredz 0% finance deals... get a decent bike at £16 per month.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
As I'm fond of saying, I keep fit to ride dirt bikes, I don't ride dirt bikes to keep fit.

However after a days off roading yesterday, I skipped my work out last night, and won't run today.

Hoping this evening to do 100+ press ups across 5 unequal sets with 90sec rest, amongst other things. Eating properly again, and getting fit.

Disappointed that my fitness test on the gymgroup cross trainer came back as average. Lots of work to do

I'm doing the 100 push up challenge app and the 25 pull up app.

Currently up to the following sets after 3 weeks of doing the app:
Set 1: 22
Set 2: 30
Set 3: 22
Set 4: 24
Set 5: 30

I'm stuck at this point - can't complete it without muscle fatigue stopping me. The app is really good for progression though. However it gets hard quite quickly after week 3.

Pull ups I'm up to: 3, 2, 2, 2, 2.... just about managing this.

Going to increase exercises to include dips and running and sit ups. Starting to feel good from just this. I think progressive building works for me, rather than going 100mph off the bat.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm noticing my gym has calmed down a bit already. Still awful Mon/Tues but the rest of the week and weekend are getting more tolerable.

Rotator cuff is mostly healed, I'm not going to be aiming for any new PRs on push movements for a while though. Thumbs Up

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:45 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tredz 0% finance deals... get a decent bike at £16 per month.[/quote]

Thanks. I hadn't heard of them. Not buying anything on any payments at the moment though - my business is heading into the skip again so need to keep things tight.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recumbent exercise bikes for 1 hour (reading book).
And I tried some gym equipments for the first time. I noticed gym equipment is better for my neck than press up on the floor.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park run today, got in just under 25mins.

Some positives from that, it's gate time,not chip time (sort of), so it was a few seconds before I crossed the start line, and a crowded start - and I don't like running on the mud, so more of stroll for the first 400meters or so too. Also, it's the fastest Park Run I've done without a pace maker.

So... whilst I'd still struggle to get a sub 23min, I think I can do sub 25 easily now, in theory.

Also, I get that Park Run is in a public park, and we need to share the paths, and honestly I really don't mind slowing right down to get past some non-participants, especially if they are minding their own business and don't know about Park Run.

But....... what is with the 2 or 3 people I see week in, week out, power walking, or jogging going in the opposite direction? They must do it on purpose, what gives I wonder?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
And I tried some gym equipments for the first time. I noticed gym equipment is better for my neck than press up on the floor.

do you press chess to the floor and try and look straight ahead, slightly up, when you do press ups?

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
kawashima wrote:

do you press chess to the floor and try and look straight ahead, slightly up, when you do press ups?

When I do press up on the floor, I usually look down on the floor.
It was ok in the past but now I have pain in my neck(due to a bit of hernia), I've been avoiding doing press-up.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, if it's a hernia, probably best change what you are doing

thought it might have been posture

Today I ran just over 8 miles. A bit of a meh time. But I did 10k easily in under an hour, walked a bit to hydrate and eat fruit pastilles then ran home.

this just two days after Park Run, so deffo getting over injury. Still eating fairly well. Intend to lift weights and do body weight exercises tonight too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Today I ran just over 8 miles...............
Intend to lift weights and do body weight exercises tonight too.

Well, that was a big fail. Could barely manage two sets of press ups, my arms had no stamina at all, didn't think running would affect me as much as it did, didn't feel strong enough to pick much weight up either.

Oh well, I still exercised this evening, but differently.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:46 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Saturday night Gym Session was skipped and I did weights at home because I have had Reflux and bloating all week and Saturday was a bad day - I looked like I was preggo. Whilst working out I racked my brain and the internet and discovered the Soya Milk I have been drinking for the last 2 years now has added Apple juice which is a no go for me. Binned it all and now back on Almond Milk and the bloating is going and feeling better now - I hope to get out on the bike this week one night and weights tonight and thursday + gym saturday all being well.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:22 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloating has reduced quite a bit now and I have lost 2kg in weight since late jan, despite still not feeling good I tried on my new cycling gear then did a quick couple of miles on the mtb as it was 9.30pm and the weather station indicating freezing. Hopefully going to go out and do a bit more tonight. I don't know whether it's the new gear (winter leggings and stuff) but my legs were not as bad as previous.

Weights tonight at home and as said hopefully another few miles if the batteries have recharged for the lights.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

24:14 at park run today, had a 24m pacemaker which helped

Quite pleased as I run park run last Sat, then 8miles Monday and 5k Thurs, so am officially over my injury 😀

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be 3 weeks on Monday without a tab. The mutt is loving it as his walks are getting longer and faster... I like the feeling of not running out of puff up steep hills, and that burn in my legs once more...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, keep it up, quitting and staying quitted gets easier with time.

Today I ran 10 miles in one hour thirty six minute, bit slow but had to carefully navigate some icy sections in places (burned aprox 1,360kcal) and just stuffed my face with some cake Laughing

i plan to run three or four times a week, and every week on my long run keep nudging the distance up, to half marathon distance and beyond, park run once a week, small run mid week, the fourth run will be whatever I feel - but will probably start replacing with bicycle rides once the evenings get a bit longer

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It'll be 3 weeks on Monday without a tab. The mutt is loving it as his walks are getting longer and faster... I like the feeling of not running out of puff up steep hills, and that burn in my legs once more...

I've come to the opinion that the craving never leaves. I quit smoking a few years ago and I still crave it. It does get easier with time but I still fancy a cig after certain moments.

Sometimes I give in to the craving and have 1 and instantly regret it. It feels horrible when lungs revert to virgin status. Like something is strangling your windpipe

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 6 miles tonight, after doing 10 miles yesterday.

Ran to and from my run club, and did a 5k with them. Thought I was doing a "recovery run" but after reading up about it I think that I might have been running too fast, particularly towards the end on my own.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went training yesterday.
Had a light start and then a Shocked f*ck off bout Shocked with one of the lads.
Much sweating and heart thumping.
Finished with some more light training.

Got home and found no injuries Very Happy , yay!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mentioned earlier on in the cycling sub forum, today I rode my bicycle about 38miles in around 3hrs 10 minutes, with a total combined holl climb of 1,250ft

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weightlifting is falling by the way side, push ups slacking, doing too much running and cycling

still its a health and fitness thread, not just a fitness thread, just getting out in the sunshine and having fun

today I ran to and from park run, and pace maked my wife around the course.

gentler run for me, 10k in total, but was suprisingly sore, I guess the big cycle on Thursday slowed down my overall recovery?

Seriously tempted to join a cycling club.

More interested in cycling than green laning right now. What's happening to me, is there a cure? Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 4 of 29