Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New and first ever Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: New and first ever Bike Reply with quote

Hi guys, so i recently passed my CBT (21st December to be exact) and after humming and Aarghing wether to go straight for my lessons and test on a bigger bike or to get a 125 and learn on that for a while i decided to go the 125 way. My first ever bike, haven't ridden it yet due to not wanting to tax it till today (1st Jan so i don't lose a months tax) but planning on taking it out today for my first spin. Already I love it though.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100699
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/26112427_10159657659020570_6357008464188573929_n.jpg
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/26047157_10159657659200570_1799803708607756802_n.jpg

Last edited by Jamieking86 on 15:05 - 02 Jan 2018; edited 3 times in total

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not too sure why the pictures aren't showing Razz

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Sorry not too sure why the pictures aren't showing Razz

You're just attaching them, you're not displaying them.

Attach them - open the link. Take the URL from the top and put it in the IMG tags. ([img] [/img])

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100699

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, don't drop it and you'll get most of your outlay back. Thumbs Up Have fun out there, look out for diesel spills,
wet leaves, manhole covers and black ice. Watch those car drivers, they're all on their phones you know and will
be actively targetting you because of your L plates, or dickhead magnets as I prefer to call them...

Still think you should have gone DAS

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: New and first ever Bike Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

My first ever bike, haven't ridden it yet due to not wanting to tax it till today (1st Jan so i don't lose a months tax)

Yeah, that £1.50 lost would have really stung Shocked

Looks a nice bike. Enjoy fella.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice first bike Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with a YBR for your first ride. You'll soon get bored though, give it a year or so and you'll be sick of ringing its poor little neck. Once you get your leg over some serious metal it dawns on you what you've been missing out on.

I do miss getting over a hundred to the gallon though, filling up always made me giggle.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still enjoy riding my 125 even owning bigger bikes. I gets thrashed and abused every ride but it can be really entertaining to do so. I wouldn't be without a bigger bike though.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably the nicest colour scheme I've seen on these. Really sharp. Surprised you could wait to get it taxed Very Happy

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: New and first ever Bike Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
Hi guys, so i recently passed my CBT (21st December to be exact) and after humming and Aarghing wether to go straight for my lessons and test on a bigger bike or to get a 125 and learn on that for a while i decided to go the 125 way. My first ever bike, haven't ridden it yet due to not wanting to tax it till today (1st Jan so i don't lose a months tax) but planning on taking it out today for my first spin. Already I love it though.

Nothing wrong with the 125 route, a few of us did the same.
If nothing else, it makes you appreciate your first big bike like a mofo.

My advice is to just expect everyone not to know you are there even with eye contact. I've had a truck pulling a trailer pull out on me on a roundabout after eye contact, so it's not a given.

Just get over the fact that cagers dont care about seeing you and you will be fine. No need to turn into mr angry at them, just a shake of the head and get on with your life.

With all your real world practice, by the time you do your DAS, you'll breeze it. It's also good advice to get your theory over with soon, as it lasts 2 years and will give you the kick up the arse to get your DAS done before your CBT and Theory run out.

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replys. Managed to sort the pictures properly without having to open a new page for them. I have already done my Theory test Pjay, did it on Friday 29th December and passed, next thing is my mod 1 after more practice.

I have been watching youtube videos on cars against bikers if you like. You actually learn quite a lot from it. Before i even thought of doing my CBT i always presumed that cars would give bikers extra room as their much more vulnerable and that's what I've always done for them. After some peoples comments and watching many videos I now know that's certainly not the case.

I went out for my first ride yesterday for a few hours. Went down some little side streets first to get used to gear changing, braking, feathering the clutch etc then gave it a go on the busier roads. Was quite proud of myself. Must admit the first right turn at a junction i took, i let the clutch out too quick and went more or less in a straight line, hit the kerb and ALMOST dropped it, luckily managed to keep hold of it and luckily it was on a quiet road Cool After that though i got the hang of it and managed to get to 47 in a 50 which i was proud of for my first ride lol. I am just going to practice, practice practice but the weathers crap today Sad

Ideally i want a big car park or something so i can get used to feathering the clutch at slow speeds. That's the hardest part for me, but i can't think of anywhere i could do this.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:25 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also amazed you waited to get it taxed for the whole £1.25 you just saved yourself.

Have fun and remember to look where you're going, not at your reflection in shop windows.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike clutch will take more 'abuse' than a car in general so you can happily give it plenty of pull while feathering with no fear of burning it out. It kind of goes against what you learned in a car, the instructor telling you not to ride the clutch but it's fine you won't kill it. It's better to use more clutch with gentle slow release and more revs than dump the clutch and either stall or lurch.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:01 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Nice Bike Reply with quote

I have the YBR 250 which has recently replaced my GPZ500. I did my Mod1 and Mod2 on my CG125. Your right - as boring as it sounds find a car park and bimble around it. I found an industrial estate which had manhole covers at just the right spacings for me to practice figure of 8 manouvres around them and I spent several evenings going around them and feathering the clutch until I had it right. As as result by the time the Mod1 came around I was ready and flew through it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
A bike clutch will take more 'abuse' than a car in general so you can happily give it plenty of pull while feathering with no fear of burning it out. It kind of goes against what you learned in a car, the instructor telling you not to ride the clutch but it's fine you won't kill it. It's better to use more clutch with gentle slow release and more revs than dump the clutch and either stall or lurch.

This. One technique to try is to set the revs (relatively high) and get to the clutch bite point and set that, so that it's slipping but pulling you along, and then control the speed by the application of pressure to the rear brake pedal. Want to speed up, release a bit of pressure on brake; want to slow down, put a bit more on. It stabilises the bike a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm also amazed you waited to get it taxed for the whole £1.25 you just saved yourself.

Have fun and remember to look where you're going, not at your reflection in shop windows.

It wasn't just the £1.25 saving. What's the point in taxing it on the 25th of the month when you could wait another week and get an extra month out of it? Now my tax runs out on January the 1st 2019 instead of December 1st 2018 Razz

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Nice Bike Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I have the YBR 250 which has recently replaced my GPZ500. I did my Mod1 and Mod2 on my CG125. Your right - as boring as it sounds find a car park and bimble around it. I found an industrial estate which had manhole covers at just the right spacings for me to practice figure of 8 manouvres around them and I spent several evenings going around them and feathering the clutch until I had it right. As as result by the time the Mod1 came around I was ready and flew through it.

Yes ideally that's what i want, I've seen plenty of MOD 1 videos so i have a rough idea of how far apart the cones are for the slalom and figure of 8, so if i can find a big enough space i can imagine their cones their and weeve in and out to practice. Or i could by some cones and scatter them out myself once the winds calmed down Cool
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:35 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

It wasn't just the £1.25 saving. What's the point in taxing it on the 25th of the month when you could wait another week and get an extra month out of it? Now my tax runs out on January the 1st 2019 instead of December 1st 2018 Razz

Yes, a net saving of a pound and a penny.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:05 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:

So that the tax reminder doesn't get chucked away the the horde of Christmas card envelopes, & netto or bargain booze special offer leaflets that will all be coming through the door at the same time, A-N-D the post office is not shut due to bank-holiday....
Ideally, I like to time the tax reminder to come through the door approximately six to eight weeks before the MOT runs out, then I can re-tax it, on the existing MOT, and be reminded I need book an MOT and not be sat fretting "What do I do if it fails?" With 10 or 11 moths of tax remaining to sort out fixes and get it re-tested, without getting in a tangle of SORNning it.
Also handy to have them come up around April, when the demand on available funds isn't being so stretched by demand to buy turkeys and brussel sprouts and schit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like YBR's, did my CBT on one 8 years ago now. Obviously it was the first bike I tried to buy but they were too pricey, ended up with a scooter, bad decision but better than the bus I suppose.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

remember to look where you're going, not at your reflection in shop windows.

Embarassed done that and only just managed to brake in time to prevent a smidsy Embarassed

Jamieking86
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Jamieking86 wrote:

So that the tax reminder doesn't get chucked away the the horde of Christmas card envelopes, & netto or bargain booze special offer leaflets that will all be coming through the door at the same time, A-N-D the post office is not shut due to bank-holiday....
Ideally, I like to time the tax reminder to come through the door approximately six to eight weeks before the MOT runs out, then I can re-tax it, on the existing MOT, and be reminded I need book an MOT and not be sat fretting "What do I do if it fails?" With 10 or 11 moths of tax remaining to sort out fixes and get it re-tested, without getting in a tangle of SORNning it.
Also handy to have them come up around April, when the demand on available funds isn't being so stretched by demand to buy turkeys and brussel sprouts and schit!

See this guy gets my drift Cool

Ideally i like everything to come out during the spring/summer months. As a self employed gardener i find it difficult forking out between December-February time.

I plan on passing my test and getting an R3 around June/July time when i can afford it and the tax, insurance etc. Just this year i had enough saved up and also couldn't wait much longer, to get the YBR and learn whilst i'm off work (if the freaking weathers good enough). But with tax and insurance now being due on the 1st of January, I know what to ask for christmas....CASH Razz (IF i still happen to have the YBR next year)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamieking86 wrote:
As a self employed gardener i find it difficult forking out between December-February time.
Frequent ground frosts probably have a lot to do with that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2