Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

Just as this video is sublime, and will strike a cord with many others on this forum.

Rat Race - Steve Cutts

Any practical suggestions for realistically attainable improvement? Or is it all just wait for the overdue implosion and try to pick up the pieces afterwards... = genuine happiness Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's quite simple. You just need to scrimp and save to pay off your mortgage quickly. You'll need some "passive income streams" too, but hey... Confused
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-42423615/early-retirement-our-road-to-financial-independence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:41 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Any practical suggestions for realistically attainable improvement?

If you're not happy, just kill yourself.

Totes srs. Our problem is over-population. Do the right thing for you and for everyone else.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:28 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only half of us kill two people each world problems wouldn't exist Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Frowned upon, need to make it look like an accident. Strangle wank gone wrong?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

"Strangle wank"

I thought that was a Yoga position. Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
M.C wrote:

"Strangle wank"

I thought that was a Yoga position. Embarassed

Nah that's Autofellatio.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Sure, it comes from within. Grow older, once you grow older you'll start to realise that life is short and your time is finite.

If you live another 30 years you're only here for another 10950 days. Or 15,768,000 minutes of which 5768000 of those will be spent asleep.

Here is an interesting picture from Japan:
https://i.redd.it/hu36l1ax3k701.jpg
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

Totes srs. Our problem is over-population. Do the right thing for you and for everyone else.

Aye, it's the logical choice Thumbs Up Free more space for Borgy heirs too Laughing

I agree though, obviously it's homeowner (paid off) by 35 and then travel the world on blog traffic income. Silly me.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

War. A good old war will cull the excess life forms.

Let us kill all the bad religions and worship the true BOMB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfmPdut2x4

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:45 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the video before, George Takei shared it on FB.

I see it as being immensely cynical, especially about those with mental illness and those who need antidepressants in order to function. Reasonable animation I guess... but other than that it doesn't tell me anything I don't know, it doesn't give any new insights on existing knowledge and it leaves out a whole inconvenient lot.

People choose to be happy. If you have a job which pays, it's possible to get another. If you are sufficiently aware, you can either buy a car because you enjoy it, or don't buy one because you can take a decent guess you won't be able to use it. It's not that difficult really.

The problem arises for those who don't have those choices, which is another area where the video reeks of cynicism. Saying something positive about poverty would be a laudible goal. This video just tells us that the middle classes are unhappy with their lot, which isn't true in any meaningful way.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
People pretend to be happy.

FTFY. I don't think they were going after mentally ill people, more 'normal' people who are pushed towards them, maybe more in the US. I enjoyed it, it's nice having an occasional reminder I'm not the only cynical person out there Wink

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting replies here.

@Marjay- I think M.C is right, that mental health section is more aimed at those who turn to tablets as solution to the general malaise they feel from the disappointment of the modern world... rather than people with genuine issues seeking help.

It can also be argued that the modern world, isolated in groups by technology and wage slavery, is what is causing us so mmany mental health problems. I would love to see if there are studies on it, but I do know happiness decreases several years after TV's are introduced... You see the material standard that others have and you don't.

Also, with poking too much at the middle class... I don't really know if excludes the lower classes, in my opinion. Yes, the lower classes don't commute in jammed trains, but the same cycles of excitement and disappointment exist. The Black Friday scene, for instance, or the traffic.

The pursuit of happiness; the drive to move in a direction perceived to lead to happiness, whilst understanding that attaining that goal will probably not provide you with happiness.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy, I liked the Ikigai. I agree with a lot of it, however does it expect you to be able to find something that matches all 4 spheres?

It is a lucky person who does so.

Doing some extra reading on it, in slight contradiction to that diagram, it suggests many have one outside of what they make money from. For instance, someone who loves singing but is a region sales manager by day.

However, again, moving from the initial video, is it not the modern world that robs the satisfaction from whatever your vocation is, regardless of whether or not it is something you feel enjoyment from.

Choose Life Itchy...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
..., the lower classes don't commute in jammed trains

They really do.
In fact, more now than ever before do.
The reason being: Congestion zone. It used to be that builders picked up their subbies and drove them to the job, or that everybody had shitty little vans. Now, with the CC/LEZ nobody wants to pay congestion/pollution charges on a daily basis, so the trains are full of men-in-cheekbones with large toolkits, stepladders and even jack hammers.

Most of them are so "exhausted" at the end of the day (snowflakes) that they think they deserve to sit down rather than give their seat to a pregnant/old lady/disabled/whatever. No man ever used to do that, no man would ever dream of having done that in the past. They might have WISHED they could, but manners/upbringing meant that they did what was expected. Nowadays, its every man for themselves.

Anyway, aside from that ... the video in OP has the feel of being very subjective. Very much the creator's problem with his own life. I can relate to it, having done plenty of the jammed-train thing, although considerably less of the frantic-consumer type of thing, thank goodness, mainly due to being constantly skint anyway Laughing

But having considered it, I think that it really is a matter of the older you get, the less you give a shit about stuff like that. You suddenly realise, uh oh, I have less days left to live than days I have already lived, and you figure you'll just do more of what the fuck you want.

Perhaps younger people, with their gap years and all that entitledness, get all the things they think they want from early on, but those of us who were in the "you got to work to earn it" era, really get to the point where they go "Well, I'm gonna fuck this rat-race shit off and start enjoying myself instead."

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Choose Life Itchy...

Ooo, who's that annoying gobby Jock?
I'd have to punch him.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Wan Kenobi ffs.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:
..., the lower classes don't commute in jammed trains

They really do.
In fact, more now than ever before do.
The reason being: Congestion zone. It used to be that builders picked up their subbies and drove them to the job, or that everybody had shitty little vans. Now, with the CC/LEZ nobody wants to pay congestion/pollution charges on a daily basis, so the trains are full of men-in-cheekbones with large toolkits, stepladders and even jack hammers.

This. The very early tube trains are full of polish builders with steps/tools etc. I'd say you see a difference at overground stations during rush hour, then you get suits commuting in, as they can afford 5 grand for a season ticket.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Some interesting replies here.

@Marjay- I think M.C is right, that mental health section is more aimed at those who turn to tablets as solution to the general malaise they feel from the disappointment of the modern world... rather than people with genuine issues seeking help.

It does mention 'Big Pharma' of course, in a small piece of text on the bottle of pills as I recall. Even so, it implies that the effect of antidepressants is to make everything rosy when things are bad in the background of life. This is the exact opposite of what they do. They don't affect the outside world, but rather help to balance the internal struggles that people with genuine mental illness have.

I feel the maker of the video has never had to deal with real depression or someone who required antidepressants in order to function on a day-to-day basis.

The rest of the video? Meh, tell me something I didn't know already.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean they don't turn the world into a wonderful Disney universe?

BTW why does it have an age restriction?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep learning, keep talking to people, keep doing the things that make you 'properly happy and do them as often as allows.

Then wait until some dickhead situation comes along and fucks the whole thing up...then revert to Plan A again.

See my close friend, he's a one. Taken me best part of 30 years to realise he is only truly happy when helping others. It gives him a purpose. It empowers him...but that only works when he's on top form and for the most part (he wouldn't mind me saying) he isn't on top form.

Different strokes for etc etc.

Me? I'm all over than Venn diagram me...often in one 24hr period.....Yet I seem carry a high opinion of myself sense that all is not lost, that humans can be truly fantastic on the whole.

Born in the right century at a time of peace...I'm grateful.
I'm also easily pleased.

Until I read this below

Using abusive language is not the way to inner peace, grasshopper. Your karma will suffer.

Don't go fucking well telling me not to fucking swear.... ok with you grasshopper-cock?

[edit] See that comma between peace and grasshopper....That comma can cunt right off! Sarcastic twat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Most of them are so "exhausted" at the end of the day (snowflakes) that they think they deserve to sit down rather than give their seat to a pregnant/old lady/disabled/whatever. No man ever used to do that, no man would ever dream of having done that in the past. They might have WISHED they could, but manners/upbringing meant that they did what was expected. Nowadays, its every man for themselves.

To be fair I think feminism has itself to blame for that one.

Men just endured about 3 years of being told they aren't allowed to think about women at all.

I remember when I was about 24 years old and younger (so 5+ years go), it was completely normal and actually kind of fun to be slightly chivalrous towards women and treat them in a way that basically translates to 'good manners'. Then feminism came along and told me I shouldn't have ever really been doing that. So now I don't. Every non-gender-specific asexual humanoid for themselves.

Sun Wukong wrote:
Rat Race - Steve Cutts

Seemed more like an indictment of consumerism to me.

I think people who feel most connection to that video will be the ones with long term debts that they need to pay, particularly for items that they didn't really need.

One area that the video doesn't seem to touch on is the idea of property ownership. A person in full ownership of their own home can reduce their work hours dramatically. With this in mind, I'd suggest an improvement can surely be made by a full reset of the property market, with new housing built in the right places, and policies that focus strongly on ensuring every family gets one for themselves.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I remember when I was about 24 years old and younger (so 5+ years go), it was completely normal and actually kind of fun to be slightly chivalrous towards women and treat them in a way that basically translates to 'good manners'.

It doesn't work anyway. For all this respect us/treat us equally rhetoric women still only seem to respond to being treated 'mean'. Must be down to us shitlords entrenching our privilege upon them.

Lord Percy wrote:
One area that the video doesn't seem to touch on is the idea of property ownership. A person in full ownership of their own home can reduce their work hours dramatically.

Oh they know, they know.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
To be fair I think feminism has itself to blame for that one.

Men just endured about 3 years of being told they aren't allowed to think about women at all.

I remember when I was about 24 years old and younger (so 5+ years go), it was completely normal and actually kind of fun to be slightly chivalrous towards women and treat them in a way that basically translates to 'good manners'. Then feminism came along and told me I shouldn't have ever really been doing that. So now I don't. Every non-gender-specific asexual humanoid for themselves.

Actually, I agree with you.
And to be quite frank, I have very little to thank The Sisterhood for on that front. I think they have done a considerable number of us an injustice by giving the impression we ALL want to be treated the way they do.
Rolling Eyes

Sure I want equal pay, voting rights, but I still want chivalry.
I grew up with it, I didn't want it to go away Crying or Very sad
... just because some bitchy types got uppity.
I've never really seen being a control freak bitch as something to celebrate. Rolling Eyes

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Sure I want equal pay, voting rights, but I still want chivalry.
I grew up with it, I didn't want it to go away Crying or Very sad
... just because some bitchy types got uppity.
I've never really seen being a control freak bitch as something to celebrate. Rolling Eyes

And this is why we love you Mr. Green

It is a real shame though.

The happiest seeming cultures always seem to be the ones with the most entrenched gender roles in solid family units.

We lost that. But you know, economically more sensible to stay at home on the dole as a mother than pay a childminder and work... unless you're middle class as fuck. Living the cosy dream, right? Basically the same as being a housewife, but with more guilt.

Hooray, progress.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5