Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't think so. Conspiracy suggests some level of secrecy, we're so apathetic they don't need to hide anything.

Question Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Question Confused

There isn't a need for there to be any conspiracy as people will go through cognitive dissonance of their own accord.

For instance money. What gives it value? Government decree to break your legs if you disagree that's what.

So you've got a system where things are controlled by leg breaky... yet OTOH people believe they live in a free democratic society and they're a million miles from overtly nasty controlling governments.

People if they think it through can discover this easily and a lot of people know this, but they have a roof over their head and food in their stomachs so they self cognatively dissonate.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:00 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't think so. Conspiracy suggests some level of secrecy, we're so apathetic they don't need to hide anything.

It's not apathy, it's imbecility. The handful of those intelligent enough to see the racket they're not part of cannot make their voices heard. Well, they can, but not in any language the imbeciles can understand. And most of those running the racket are imbeciles too, so it's pointless trying to tell them anything either. Conspiracy? Nothing more than multiple accidental convergences of the imbeciles in charge various rackets. Ten rapists in the same pub isn't a conspiracy.

True happiness is not giving a fuck. Not in any particularly cynical way, more from a recognition that nothing actually matters in this illusory insane asylum and it's ok.
The video in the OP clearly expresses an idea otherwise though. Tired banal cliche that it is. "Oh noes, don't chase material goods, that way looms oblivion!" Fuck off. Toys are a distraction from the futility of being. Without them we'd all be sitting around a fire in the cold, slitting our wrists to the sound of kumbaya on some guru's guitar.

Get your survival-needs met, buy and play with toys until your current body dies. If you can't be happy with that, top yourself or get drugged to the gills and STFU.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:26 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
The video in the OP clearly expresses an idea otherwise though. Tired banal cliche that it is. "Oh noes, don't chase material goods, that way looms oblivion!" Fuck off. Toys are a distraction from the futility of being. Without them we'd all be sitting around a fire in the cold, slitting our wrists to the sound of kumbaya on some guru's guitar.

Get your survival-needs met, buy and play with toys until your current body dies. If you can't be happy with that, top yourself or get drugged to the gills and STFU.

Vehicles I see as a (financial) burden, and if you think of fuel duty etc. aren't a very good way to stick it to the man.
Electronic goods don't really do much, yeah you might enjoy a film on the telly or a game on the Xbox, but that's fairly fleeting.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Vehicles I see as a (financial) burden, and if you think of fuel duty etc. aren't a very good way to stick it to the man.
Electronic goods don't really do much, yeah you might enjoy a film on the telly or a game on the Xbox, but that's fairly fleeting.

Our TV is used almost exclusively for torrented movies. The car is used to spare us the tedium of walking, and fuck the spritual kumbaya experience of exercise. The bike is a toy, the cost of which is an acceptable buck for the bang.

PC, games, lots of joy, fun and fulfillment while virtually slaughtering hundreds of opponents, example provided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUtYb7oIwU

Spiritually empty? A soul-void? Balls. Money gets toys gets fun. This entire life is nothing more than a video-game. Kumbaya too, if that's what floats your boat.

However, if you're working your nuts off just to survive, THAT'S where some serious soul-fucking shit is at. But that's not what the kumbaya OP video is about. It's about not spending your surplus cash on material things. Balls. What else are you going to spend it on, pixie-dust?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

However, if you're working your nuts off just to survive, THAT'S where some serious soul-fucking shit is at. But that's not what the kumbaya OP video is about. It's about not spending your surplus cash on material things. Balls. What else are you going to spend it on, pixie-dust?

https://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Cocaine_090ec3_591495.jpg

I suppose the difference is in spending money on experiences, not on things.

Having a car to get around and have experiences is different to requiring the newest shiniest to be happy.

Same with bike.

Same with games.

Etc.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

I suppose the difference is in spending money on experiences, not on things.

Having a car to get around and have experiences is different to requiring the newest shiniest to be happy.

Same with bike.

Same with games.

Etc.

All you're talking about is degrees of experience and even that's entirely subjective. A mong buying the 'latest & greatest' piece of iphone tat might be having as much fun as Mr Kumbaya strolling along a sandy beach in nirvana, watching the sun go down while chewing on a lotus leaf. Mr Kumbaya might also be struggling with the agony of existential angst ("The futility, maaan!") while the mong suffers no greater pain than realizing he'll never use 95% of his phone's awesome functionality.

Most of the world's 'existential angst' and 'depression' is boredom. Either got fed up doing the same things or fed-up knowing they'll never be able to do a whole bunch of other things, not thinking about how they'd become just as boring too in time.

Strangely enough, creative people suffer far less from these ills. There is, without a doubt, something far more fulfilling about painting a picture vs twiddling with an iphone app. But ultimately both are equally futile. You're born, you do a bunch of stuff to distract the mind, you die. Sand-castles on the beach or 100-floor skyscrapers, you still end up dead with nobody giving a flying fuck what you did to distract yourself for 70 years.

We're god, experiencing itself subjectively because...what else?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
It's about not spending your surplus cash on material things. Balls. What else are you going to spend it on, pixie-dust?

Overpay on your mortgage so you can spend 10 less years as a slave and actually enjoy your life before you're too old to?

Hetzer wrote:
Strangely enough, creative people suffer far less from these ills.

I thought the opposite was true. I also think doing something you enjoy for a job is a good way to kill any enjoyment.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:49 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Overpay on your mortgage

Leave it, Rog. Just walk away. He ent worth it.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Overpay on your mortgage

Leave it, Rog. Just walk away. He ent worth it.

No no, do go on...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
No no, do go on...

And start a pointless, repetitive argument over nothing? The very thought! Shocked Folded arms

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:26 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more money when you're younger than when you're older so while paying the mortgage off early will save you money in the long run you're basically robbing yourself of all the cool/irresponsible shit you could be doing while you're still young enough to enjoy it.

I'd rather be grafting into old age to pay my bills than sat inside my fully owned home with time to regret the fact that I'd done fuck all fun with my life and the house that is now fully paid up can be gifted to my son/the government.

It's too easy to worry your life away about things that you can't realistically change.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:
No no, do go on...

And start a pointless, repetitive argument over nothing? The very thought! Shocked Folded arms

It'll no doubt come up again, so go on what pedantic tiz have you got yourself into today?

Lee Wright wrote:
You need more money when you're younger than when you're older so while paying the mortgage off early will save you money in the long run you're basically robbing yourself of all the cool/irresponsible shit you could be doing while you're still young enough to enjoy it.

I'd rather be grafting into old age to pay my bills than sat inside my fully owned home with time to regret the fact that I'd done fuck all fun with my life and the house that is now fully paid up can be gifted to my son/the government.

It's too easy to worry your life away about things that you can't realistically change.

How do you work that one out? You're going to be working full time to service your mortgage, so would you rather do so for 10-15 years or 25? Once paid off you can drop down to part time work if you want, and actually have time to enjoy your life.

Plus if your health starts to go when you're older, or if you're in an industry which's a young man's game (anything manual), you might be glad you paid off the mortgage rather than taking a few meh holidays somewhere.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:14 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It'll no doubt come up again, so go on what pedantic tiz have you got yourself into today?

Oh, I was just wondering how quickly you're planning to take your own advice and pay off your mortgage.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

Oh, I was just wondering how quickly you're planning to take your own advice and pay off your mortgage.

You mean the one I can't get despite saving 30k over 5 years on ~20k a year? Whilst we're on the subject you never did answer my question, what are your mortgage repayments?

And have u lost a gold blob (again)? Shocked

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:04 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

How do you work that one out? You're going to be working full time to service your mortgage, so would you rather do so for 10-15 years or 25? Once paid off you can drop down to part time work if you want, and actually have time to enjoy your life.

Plus if your health starts to go when you're older, or if you're in an industry which's a young man's game (anything manual), you might be glad you paid off the mortgage rather than taking a few meh holidays somewhere.

It's not rocket surgery. I have a finite amount of income so I either put all my spare cash into paying my mortgage off faster or I go out and buy/do fun things which make me happy and not resent going to work.

I'm not interested in merely existing now so that I can have more spare time in the future to look back at the things that I didn't do when I was younger. Having got the millstone of a mortgage around my neck at 20 I'll be paid up by 50 anyway at which point the ~£600 per month will hardly be a life changing amount anyway.

This year my potential overpayment will instead be a small tour around the Pico's by bike, a season racing jetskis in the British championship and a new 20'x35' garage to stash my toys in, that's the reason I go to work.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:
Needs toys.

Fair enough whatever makes you happy, in your position I'd rather be paid off in my early 30s than being 50, and realising your best years were spent being a skivvy for someone else.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:22 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You mean the [mortgage] I can't get despite saving 30k over 5 years on ~20k a year?

How much? In London? Eh?

You're clearly a smart chap (assuming your gender). Why so poor?

M.C wrote:
Whilst we're on the subject you never did answer my question, what are your mortgage repayments?

About ~£290 a month at the moment. Because paying down early. I should be clear in around 2 years. Your advice is sound, I'd advise you to take it.

M.C wrote:
And have u lost a gold blob (again)? Shocked

Put my karma into bitcoin at $20K. Sad

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:45 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lee Wright wrote:
Needs toys.

Fair enough whatever makes you happy, in your position I'd rather be paid off in my early 30s than being 50, and realising your best years were spent being a skivvy for someone else.

But you're not in my position, you're trying to scrape a deposit together whilst advising me that I should be paying my mortgage off faster because you think that's the way it should be done.

Any why assume that you have to be a skivvy for someone else?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
How much? In London? Eh?

Anywhere in the civilised world, but I might have to admit defeat and move to up North Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg wrote:

Now now no need to be facetious Folded arms

Rogerborg wrote:
About ~£290 a month at the moment. Because paying down early. I should be clear in around 2 years. Your advice is sound, I'd advise you to take it.

Only £140 less than I pay for my free room house Whistle

Lee Wright wrote:
But you're not in my position, you're trying to scrape a deposit together whilst advising me that I should be paying my mortgage off faster because you think that's the way it should be done.

Any why assume that you have to be a skivvy for someone else?

Scraping? Eh? I didn't try to save, I've bought motorbikes, cars, whatever gadgets I want, gone on nights out etc. Had I actually put any effort in it would be considerably more.

I'm offering an alternative view and you're getting upset about it. You're ultimately a skivvy, unless you'd ordinarily go somewhere (nearly) everyday and spend 8 hours being told what to do?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:06 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Now now no need to be facetious Folded arms

Accept my throbbing compliment. Whatever you're doing for that dollah, you can do better.

Absent a mass cull of geezers or deporting our 10,000,000 illegals, property is only going to get more expensive. I'd urge you to stop flushing money on renting and get any property, anywhere, and the sooner the better.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:10 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Scraping? Eh? I didn't try to save, I've bought motorbikes, cars, whatever gadgets I want, gone on nights out etc. Had I actually put any effort in it would be considerably more.

I'm offering an alternative view and you're getting upset about it. You're ultimately a skivvy, unless you'd ordinarily go somewhere (nearly) everyday and spend 8 hours being told what to do?

I'm not getting upset at all, just pointing out that pouring wages into paying your house off early is pretty much just waiting to get old Laughing

Being a skivvy implies doing shit work against your will, no-one really wants to go to work instead of having fun but it can be on your own terms. The '8 hours being told what to do' suggests you have only experienced the grind of a permanently employed job that you don't like, maybe time to reevaluate?

On moving up north, genuinely may be worth a look, I don't envy anyone trying to get a first house in the south east.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Lee says. Carpe diem. Fuck the future, it's over-rated and isn't here now.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, don't buy a house, because why spend years and hundreds of thousands paying for something that will be taken off you eventually anyway? Blow all your money on coke, whores and toys, and enjoy your life. Chances are you won't get to see retirement anyway. Be a selfish cunt instead. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Or, don't buy a house, because why spend years and hundreds of thousands paying for something that will be taken off you eventually anyway? Blow all your money on coke, whores and toys, and enjoy your life. Chances are you won't get to see retirement anyway. Be a selfish cunt instead. Thumbs Up

But people will judge you Laughing I sort of agree, the best solution seems to be not having much to your name as you near the end, although I don't why people don't Dignitas it rather than letting someone else wipe your arse. Also if you don't have a council or housing association property, then you can end up paying a lot more for private rents than you would on a mortgage, whilst paying off someone else's mortgage.

A Swedish bloke told me (no idea if it's true) that rents are so high over there it's cheaper to buy a property, even though they have no realistic proposition of ever paying it off Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5