Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free to labour in the pursuit of happiness...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Or, don't buy a house, because why spend years and hundreds of thousands paying for something that will be taken off you eventually anyway?

The alternative is to spend more renting then be absolutely guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Or... do you "live at home"? Thinking

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely guaranteed to end up with nothing even if you're a billionaire with ten houses.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

A Swedish bloke told me (no idea if it's true) that rents are so high over there it's cheaper to buy a property, even though they have no realistic proposition of ever paying it off Neutral

Rent from a person or rent from a bank... choose your poison.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
You're absolutely guaranteed to end up with nothing even if you're a billionaire with ten houses.

I would rather be in the box suddenly with nothing, than a few years away from it with nothing... living on potatoes and Tesco value pasta.

As for me,
A) I used my 20's doing "interesting" stuff, and all money went on that. I've saved a few grand a few times, and put it towards big things. My health has always been a bit of a bugger with it, but still, good memories and good stories.

B) However, the dark side of 30... I also wish I'd wedged my nose to a grindstone and earned money to get a hovel on the ladder and gone from there.

I doubt I'd think B without the presence of A though... Thinking

I'm told you make your money in your 40's. Who knows.

I don't plan on kids.
I don't plan on an expensive wife/girlfriend (you know what I mean).
And I am content with second hand stuff, with a hobby of fixing things (slowly honed to half-ok by years of practice [aka suffering with shit things]).

As such, I should have plenty of money to pump in to property. And will probably overpay mortgage rather than pension. Now pensions really are a Ponzi scheme.

When the Russians invade or we all die off of whooping Malaria, house prices should have a nice correction Thumbs Up

My favourite solution to the issue of housing in the short term is to only find jobs that provide housing, but in the UK that limits your options quite significantly. The savings provided by doing that though can be significant.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:22 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
M.C wrote:

A Swedish bloke told me (no idea if it's true) that rents are so high over there it's cheaper to buy a property, even though they have no realistic proposition of ever paying it off Neutral

Rent from a person or rent from a bank... choose your poison.

The 'rent' to the bank is typically paid off after 25 years and works out less each month than actual rent on an equivelent property. For example, the mortgage on my fucking massive 4 bed, 4 toilet, one garage house is just under £600 a month.

You also have the option of selling it, and buying something smaller in the future, getting back a lot of the money you paid in.

It's a no-brainer if you have the deposit.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If my auntie had bollocks, she'd be my uncle Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:38 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's $CURRENT_YEAR, everybody's auntie is their uncle.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:49 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

It's $CURRENT_YEAR, everybody's auntie is their uncle.

Did you just assume their familial association?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:42 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The good news is that your auntie could have bollocks transplanted from your uncle.

The bad news is that they wouldn't produce sperm.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

I would rather be in the box suddenly with nothing, than a few years away from it with nothing... living on potatoes and Tesco value pasta.

I agree, you want your last years to be as comfortable as possible, not stressing about whether you can afford to have the heat on.

Sun Wukong wrote:
As such, I should have plenty of money to pump in to property. And will probably overpay mortgage rather than pension. Now pensions really are a Ponzi scheme.

Yep, I regret not opting out of my workplace pension, I listened to someone else on that one. Oh well sunk costs Crying or Very sad

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give a fuck how much property I owned or cash I had salted away if I succumbed to the standard ailments of old age; no amount of wealth is going to put a gloss on that, any more than a prime steak and real-cream sundae would make a toothache tolerable.

I made hay while the sun was shining, and still am. If shit goes south I'll take the long walk into the snow and zero fucks will be given. It'll only be a few years early if it comes to it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
If shit goes south I'll take the long walk into the snow and zero fucks will be given. It'll only be a few years early if it comes to it.

Just make sure a vlogger doesn't find your body.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceland. I doubt that useless fag could cope with it. Mr. Green

Edit: that's the non-homophobic version of the word, to denote a fucking melt.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Or, don't buy a house, because why spend years and hundreds of thousands paying for something that will be taken off you eventually anyway?

The alternative is to spend more renting then be absolutely guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Voted funneh.

Fled the nest at 18/19. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Voted funneh.

Fled the nest at 18/19. Thumbs Up

It was a dig at me Wink

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:15 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gathered. Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I believe I replied on whatsapp the other night using 'snowflake' etc...

I think our current society offers access to more tools and options than ever to find an area in life that we can fit in - the '9 - 5' grind in a western society is a really comfortable life, massively better than a lot of the world has it and also than relatively much wealthier people have had it in the past.

But it also more than ever offers continual access to rose-tinted goggles of other options - be it perfect relationships in perfect settings on Instagram, or dreams of a more affluent lifestyle through youtube.

As with democracy; I thing capitalism is "the worst form of society, except for all the others."

I would suggest that it's often more a case of the structures in our society evolving through "natural selection" around the ingrained genetics of humans designed to improve changes in a very different world.

The breakfast cereal with the dancingist hamsters is the one that gets the kid's attention best, so is the one that keeps going - no big conspiracy.
There's lots of alternate solutions I'd like to see - but alas, reality isn't all utopian unicorns.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

As with democracy; I think capitalism is "the worst form of society, except for all the others."

Capitalism is great Thumbs Up No problems with capitalism at all.

It's the current form of consumption based socially-unconscious capitalism that is a problem.

As for 9-5 being cosy, yes... it can be. However, not in the environment it is built in to now. That is to say, working to buy happiness some other way.

I personally blame advertising; including, as you rightly say, image crafting on social media as a form of advertising.

Television as well; a constant source of comparison to a life you don't have but would like to.

Nothing is trying to eat me. I don't risk any ruthless diseases. I have the opportunity to do whatever I want in this world, to a fashion, and subject to real world constraints.

Yes, I will grant you that.

Doesn't stop the fact that overall happiness ratings are dropping, and that is an observation I think many people have first hand experience of. Perhaps it is satisfaction, or rather dissatisfaction.

Yes, snowflake generation. Promised all the gold we could eat, didn't get it. I still think I was better off in my generation than the one that is following it...

Being distracted and occupied and connected at all times is something we have slowly gotten used to. These whelps have had it from day 1.

I was watching my friends young boys playing Ipad games the other day. All free. All high quality. All had forced game advertisements in there. 30 seconds of adverts for every couple of minutes of gameplay. Horrifying when you stop and think about it. Reminded me of the Black Mirror episode with the Shard, being forced to watch adverts.

I guess those were the points I took from the mouse video, more than just "isn't work bad and I'd rather live on a beach for free forever". Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:46 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for 9-5 being cosy, yes... it can be. However, not in the environment it is built in to now. That is to say, working to buy happiness some other way.

I don't see why that shouldn't be 'cosy', if the work isn't too irksome and does buy the desired happiness. Which for many, it pretty much does.

In general, people aren't very good at analysing their own issues - some certainly do suffer from being ever-connected.

But some young people also actively choose not to be.

I tried to find a longer term happiness graph.
Failed in my quick search; this was the closest, which contradicts your claim, at least as far as the very short term goes. Sauce for longer term stats - presumably that separates out the younger remain voters who may be less happy?
https://i.imgur.com/gILFgAq.png

Quote:
All had forced game advertisements in there. 30 seconds of adverts for every couple of minutes of gameplay. Horrifying when you stop and think about it.

Alas; evolution thanks to what people choose, again.
People don't want to pay for ad-free games for their kids - but are happy enough to have them occupied with free addictive games that are constantly try to sell them something or get them to pay for an in game advantage.

I seem to remember there being something done about a private advertising free high quality kids TV entertainment etc - which didn't take off because no one really wanted to pay for it.

I do absolutely think people should wake up, look at the world and see how their could take responsibility for improving their own bit of it, which is near-always possible.
I don't think that's likely on a useful scale in reality, however.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tory spiv drew that bullshit graph? Laughing Jesus, knowing their imbecility they'll use it as a campaign poster.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that graph correlates more to the economic growth lately. Recession = misery, and it seems like we're out.

I think going back further would show clearer trends. 50 to 70 years, before tv and advertising Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I think that graph correlates more to the economic growth lately. Recession = misery, and it seems like we're out.

I think going back further would show clearer trends. 50 to 70 years, before tv and advertising Thumbs Up

I was thinking that, although it looks like we're miserable no matter what Smile

https://i0.wp.com/positivesharing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/gdp-and-happiness.png?resize=445%2C378&ssl=1

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I was thinking that, although it looks like we're miserable no matter what Smile

https://i0.wp.com/positivesharing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/gdp-and-happiness.png?resize=445%2C378&ssl=1

Well found Thumbs Up

I will keep looking for the data set, but I have seen some that show a downward trend.

But on the basis of that graph alone, I stand corrected Thumbs Up

Existence is still pain, Jerry.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad my happiness doesn't depend on somebody's stupid graph Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I dunno. I don't think its all about what the economy is like at all.

All through life I've mostly been about whether I have enough to have "little extras" - and that's really all.
Whether I rent or have had mortgages (previously 2: one here, one in NZ) its always been when I have struggled to pay the mortgage (in the UK, I never really struggled in NZ) - that was when I had the most stress, and life was miserable.

Sure, later on it was more comfortable, but I invariably end up blowing what extra I had made (mostly on travel, food, bikes, other people) - and then renting. So I've not been massively ambitious enough to get and keep more and more houses or chattels. People are suckered so easily into thinking they have to have this or that to prove themselves, or to comfort themselves against working so very very hard. Not at all.

So the pattern of "live, work, eat, sleep, do fun" just repeats, provided you're capable of working not-too-hard to earn a buck.
Regardless of how much you earn, once you have to work too hard to get or keep it , then its not worth missing out on your leisure time to do what you want - even if all you want to do is Fuck-All.

I think its more about having the health to enjoy life no matter how much disposable income you have. If you're not feeling well, life is shit no matter how much money you have - and so then and only then does having less money make it worse - because you can't afford to employ someone to do whatever shit you have to do to feel better about yourself.

I'm not saying you need to be healthy cos I sure ain't, but if you have reasonably good health, you are less inclined to have things to grumble about.

Well, that's how it works for me, anyway.
I'll be fine until I start to get old and sick.
Then I'll be the old bitch everybody already seems to expect me to be Laughing

Maybe rich people have more to prove to other rich people, I dunno. In a world of rich people, I'd be the female equivalent of Howard Hughes: "Fuck you all, if I want to be eccentric, I'm so rich that nobody can stop me." Cool Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5