Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aa recovery question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Aa recovery question Reply with quote

Tldr reg rec went 350 miles from home ..

Took out breakdown half hour before luckily... Got recovered to services because my nationwide cover doesn't cover me until 24h after I take it out..

Question is.. if I was until 24h after and ask for recovery home... will they take me back home even though they recovered me today a few miles to services..

Could try buy parts tomorrow but £££ when I have the parts at home.. would save a long ride too

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google suggests you can't call twice for the same issue... of course maybe I fixed the reg rec and the riding again the stator went after
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
Did you go to Newcastle for pussy?

You're in Newcastle?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂😂😂

Newcastle to surprise sister for new years.. was a lolsy ride on the 25mpg vtr sat at 90.. fuel stops every 70 miles 😂

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA RAC etc is an insurance policy.

If you cant fix they take you (and the piece of shit you rode in on) home.

It is far cheaper to have than to need.

Just sayin'.

Ensure you pay for the cover you need.

And they do not like to be maintenance support for Ramshackle vehicles.

And if you take an unreliable vehicle on an extended journey then the breakdowns are part of the 'experience'. Shocked

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
😂😂😂

Newcastle to surprise sister for new years..

pics of sister or gtfo?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If you cant fix they take you (and the piece of shit you rode in on) home.

Only if you have the correct level of cover (usually top level cover)

I know with the AA they will only take you to the nearest local garage to fix the problem with basic cover, you need top level cover for home relay

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:56 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I know with the AA they will only take you to the nearest local garage to fix the problem with basic cover, you need top level cover for home relay

Not quite top level, that's having the full package including home start, onward travel and parts and labour covers. But the national recovery bit does tend to knock the price up the most over roadside cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:28 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Yes, I know you already have some sort of cover, but... #BareDrama.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:13 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, was just reading this on 'The Bike Bay' on sadbook.

glad to hear you got it sorted Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi sorted, They took me from one services to another and then back to the original services where they left us to sit for 6 hours before slowly taking us back to Newcastle 😂 today's task is to try get home

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with the likes of Hertz or other big chains whether they'll allow a different pick up / drop off place - some do - and if you find one, book a van, stick bike in back of it, drive home.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have alternative transport at home, you could always fly/train it back, then pay a bike transport company the £100 or so they charge (like you can for an ebay purchase) to get your bike back to you in slow time.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:07 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know someone who has any vehicle breakdown cover that they'd be willing to let you use then that would be a solution.

As your bike is at a service station, it's entirely possible that since arriving you've managed to lose your keys and that's a perfect reason for why you and your bike need recovering to your destination. Wink

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Aa recovery question Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:

Question is.. if I was until 24h after and ask for recovery home... will they take me back home even though they recovered me today a few miles to services..

Usually won't come out for or will charge if it's for the same fault as previously.

Their systems all talk to each other. One of my uncle's neighbours joined both the AA and RAC, towed his big old broken down 4x4 a mile or two away, dragged the caravan to join it and hooked it up and phoned the AA and got towed from Leeds to Scotland under nationwide cover.

After his holiday he phoned the RAC for towing back home who told him to sod off.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80s I was living in North Wales. My flatmate's boyfriend lived in Portsmouth, but, like us, was fairly broke. He'd come up to visit on his bike, which would regularly develop a mysterious, hard to diagnose fault whilst sitting outside our place, that resulted in him having to get a ride home with the recovery people. Funnily enough this never happened when he was at home, and it magically repaired itself once he got there.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
Semi sorted, They took me from one services to another and then back to the original services where they left us to sit for 6 hours before slowly taking us back to Newcastle 😂 today's task is to try get home

The idea of breakdown recovery is to have it in place for when you need it, not just before impending doom to electrics, of which you've had plenty of warning going by your other thread.
I'd be amazed if they take you home, having clearly taken out the policy after the fault developed, but best of luck though. Thumbs Up

To be honest, I used Autoaid for years until they wouldn't cover my campervan. With this you used to pay the recovery and claim it back.
I had 3 claims repaid, one was over 200 miles recovering a 3 tonne 4WD and a caravan was only around £350. Getting a bike recovered from an independent breakdown agent, may not be as expensive as you think.

My electrics have been fine except the bad earth on the sidelight, the reg rec burnt out which is common on the vtr.. I took recovery out before I broke down as on the way to newcastle it run a bit funny a couple of times and I've been meaning to get recovery anyway... besides the recovery is there for if my dodgy bike breaks down
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
the reg rec burnt out which is common on the vtr..

Would it be worth carrying a spare then?

possibly, probably not. I popped three on the ZZR during the time I had it, only once did it pop without damaging the wiring in the plug which meant chopping wires and putting a new plug on it, not something I'd want to do in the dark / services car park - even then, would need power to start it by the sounds of it.

worth fitting an up-rated one however

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
worth fitting an up-rated one however

You mean just plain better.

Wiring it in and moving it to a place of airflow would be my advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2