Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ross Noble: Off Road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Ross Noble: Off Road Reply with quote

Just watched Ross Noble tackling the six day Scottish trial. Entertaining watch even though he was completely out of his depth. 2 days left for the first episode if you haven't seen it (longer for the other episodes): https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/ross-noble-off-road/watch-online/?video=5654852706001

https://res.cloudinary.com/uktv/image/upload/b_rgb:000000,w_660,c_fill,q_90,h_371/v1509626221/iagomeuq2urdcps836vu.jpg

The 'humour' (I don't find him all that funny) settles down a bit. It probably would have been better as a 2-parter but still worth watching to the end IMO.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:22 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't stand the prat Mad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Can't stand the prat Mad

Sure, but if he'd posted in an appropriate sub forum, I might be inclined to give his recommendation a go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything else you can think of, as long as it involves bikes!

What one should I have used?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Can't stand the prat Mad

Thanks for the input, must have taken ages to come up with that gem! Rolling Eyes

There's some mild peril of the will he won't he complete the full six days. Some interesting stuff about what the riders and machines go through for the six days.
The ISDT is an incredibly tough event, even for the top riders.
Hats off to him for giving it a go, it's well worth a watch if you like off road biking. To be fair to Ross Noble he entered it as a competitor not a comedian and there are some uncomfortable moments which he could have chosen to edit out.
Worth a watch, IMO! Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
The ISDT is an incredibly tough event, even for the top riders.
Hats off to him for giving it a go, it's well worth a watch if you like off road biking. To be fair to Ross Noble he entered it as a competitor not a comedian and there are some uncomfortable moments which he could have chosen to edit out.
Worth a watch, IMO! Thumbs Up

Dougie Lampkin won putting his foot down once, Ross Noble had nearly 900 marks. I enjoyed it as someone too pussy to do anything like that, I'd like to have a go on a trials bike, maybe try and jump a barrel/fall off/cry then go home.

Didn't Tef' do some trials riding?

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Dougie Lampkin won putting his foot down once, Ross Noble had nearly 900 marks. I enjoyed it as someone too pussy to do anything like that, I'd like to have a go on a trials bike, maybe try and jump a barrel/fall off/cry then go home.

My mate had a Gas Gas that I used to borrow and go riding down the local fields.After watching trials blokes I thought it would be simple to hop about,climbing over stuff etc, it was not,I could just about wheelie it,that was all.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:
M.C wrote:

My mate had a Gas Gas that I used to borrow and go riding down the local fields.After watching trials blokes I thought it would be simple to hop about,climbing over stuff etc, it was not,I could just about wheelie it,that was all.

I think Ross had trouble wheelieing (sp?), he kept on getting stuck in bogs, and his accomplice was telling him to go into them with the front raised, so he didn't bog down and fly over the bars.

They showed him in practice going over obstacles etc., so I think fatigue/exhaustion was impacting his riding.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't over analyse...Enjoyed it.

It was honest biking stuff on tv. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did start watching it, but got bored as it seemed to be mainly nattering and cutaways of wandering about in random countries rather than riding bikes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I did start watching it, but got bored as it seemed to be mainly nattering and cutaways of wandering about

So... like a typical bike club ride out?

OK, I'll give it a go, but I warn you, I am going to chat about it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I did start watching it, but got bored as it seemed to be mainly nattering and cutaways of wandering about in random countries rather than riding bikes...

Eh? You mean the second after the ad' break before they go back to the main story? Razz As I said in the original post the humour settles down, the next two episodes are pretty much all riding.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cutaways, yeah, but it made it look like they struggled to get enough content so were adding nonsense to pad it out.

I find his humour a bit hit and miss.

I put it on because I expected nearly non-stop trail riding. Maybe it picked up a bit after I changed the channel...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the second half of an episode on telly and Ross' experienced riding partner was giving him loads of negativity for slowing the team down. Nasty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^That was his trainer( Laughing ), his actions spoke volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:48 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, that was all right.

More bike content than a Ewan McCharley adventure or Guy Martin Is Amazed By Stuff, Amazed By Stuff. Some minor cringe, but I really felt for him on that first day. Gripped and Sorted Mate can sod right off - the BLUDY Tef is stronge in him.

Of course, if I were to do it, I'd be far better.

The miniplates seem a bit pointless. I mean, they've obviously nowhere in the vicinity of legal, and if Dibble's going to look the other way (and it seems that he did), why not just go full #BahkLayf?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The miniplates seem a bit pointless. I mean, they've obviously nowhere in the vicinity of legal, and if Dibble's going to look the other way (and it seems that he did), why not just go full #BahkLayf?

I'm gonna get a trials bike for commuting, and ride straight over stationary cars. It'll probably make them less angry than filtering past.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't too taken by it and I think Ross was out of his depth by a fair bit and seemed to realise that fairly early on which maybe made for a dull show.
Gave the SSDT a bit of air time so cant be all bad.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^He was and it did take the edge off a bit, but it was no fancy-pants production BS and most importantly is was motorcycles on television, which is good for our beloved form of transportation. Wub

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:
Ross was out of his depth by a fair bit and seemed to realise that fairly early on which maybe made for a dull show.

Moar drama than breezing through it. He was obviously struggling, but he just got on with it without turning it into a melodramatic voyage of self discovery. Fair play, I'd rather watch that than Charley McEwan washing out of the Dakar with a hurty thumb.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched from the second episode and expected a good hour of Tv from someone that I have ridden against at a 3 hour H&H down at Westfield near Hastings,a track well known for its variation in technical sections.
Ross did okay on his KTM 2T at that place so I was hoping for some fun watching him riding at the SSDT.Okay,so he took a 5 every now and again on some of those very technical rock strewn stages that many floundered on,but looking at the tyre pressures that others were using compared to what Ross was using,there seemed like quite a difference.

How they managed to get away with such tiny number plates I am not sure.When the ISDE has been held in Wales,specifically Rhyader in mid-Wales,many of the riders were tugged for under sized plates,despite being on competition machinery.Many complained about the heavy handedness then and the ISDE will not be returning there any time soon.Maybe that experience told the Scottish not to be so petty and the SSDT was very well attended.

The programme itself was not too bad.Ross took it on the nose that he was overweight,that his trials riding skills were less than average and that he was doing the competition for a laugh.I know that he rode better than I could on certain sections.

It was a shame that,like others have mentioned,that he had to pad it out with the exclamation that "parc ferme!"....cut to seperate camera.... "car park!" gag had to be repeated so often.It was slightly funny the first time,but not as often as he had to say it.

I have seen Ross on stage at a theatre in Tunbridge Wells near to where he lives.He was not even slightly funny live.He pranced around the stage doing his best trying to think of the right gag.In the end he had to ask the audience for some suggestions Embarassed

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I'm gonna get a trials bike for commuting, and ride straight over stationary cars. It'll probably make them less angry than filtering past.

This springs to mind Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURceOcmYGU

Always have a 'Plan B'

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
How they managed to get away with such tiny number plates I am not sure.When the ISDE has been held in Wales,specifically Rhyader in mid-Wales,many of the riders were tugged for under sized plates,despite being on competition machinery.Many complained about the heavy handedness then and the ISDE will not be returning there any time soon.Maybe that experience told the Scottish not to be so petty and the SSDT was very well attended.

Enough said. I remember one year they fined a load of WRC drivers, who rightly f**ked off without paying, so they collared them the next year Rolling Eyes

Fizzer Thou wrote:
M.C wrote:

This springs to mind Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURceOcmYGU

That everyday would be awesome. And no lid so dibble can't touch him Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I have seen Ross on stage at a theatre in Tunbridge Wells near to where he lives.He was not even slightly funny live.He pranced around the stage doing his best trying to think of the right gag.In the end he had to ask the audience for some suggestions Embarassed

He comes across as someone trying (quite hard) to be funny rather than a naturally funny person. Occasionally it works, like 1 in 10 jokes or something.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly caught a bit of it, looked alright so set it to record. Haven't watched it yet, but from what I saw some of the trails looked fun.

Is any of the route open for public riding, like green lanes in England or is it all locked down because Scotland?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
is it all locked down because Scotland?

I ass-u-me it's private land. But then they're all happily riding around with joke plates on camera, so its not like any fvcks are being given.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2