Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR125 2010 Engine cutting out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: CBR125 2010 Engine cutting out Reply with quote

I've just started to have a strange problem with my CBR125 2010 Fuel Injection model since early this week.

Sometimes when I'm in neutral or first and rev the engine it dies instantly.

Happened on my way home from work at a red light, was in first with the clutch held in and as I let the clutch out and revved the engine it died immediately and the engine struggled to start after.

This morning it was having trouble starting as well, took a few minutes before the engine started, sounded like it was struggling, got to the end of my street and again was in first with clutch in and as I let it out and revved the engine it died immediately.

I did notice that when I start the bike the revs idle around 2k but drops down to around 1.5k and sounds like its struggling a bit.

Any ideas what this could be? Could it be the spark plug?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:07 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun part is where we have to guess about the mileage and service history, if any.

Usual answer: if you don't know for a fact (i.e. you did it yourself or watched it being done) that it's been serviced in the past couple of thousand miles, change the oil and filter. Might as well fling in a new plug while you're at it, for all that it costs. Clean or replace the air filter too.

While you're at it, I'd make a small wager that it's still on the original coolant, so you might want to consider replacing that too.

All that said most fuelling problems are electrical, so you'll also want to check the voltage across the battery terminals before starting it, at idle, and while revving it. Check that there's a good earth connection to the engine or frame too.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:27 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The fun part is where we have to guess about the mileage and service history, if any.

Usual answer: if you don't know for a fact (i.e. you did it yourself or watched it being done) that it's been serviced in the past couple of thousand miles, change the oil and filter. Might as well fling in a new plug while you're at it, for all that it costs. Clean or replace the air filter too.

While you're at it, I'd make a small wager that it's still on the original coolant, so you might want to consider replacing that too.

All that said most fuelling problems are electrical, so you'll also want to check the voltage across the battery terminals before starting it, at idle, and while revving it. Check that there's a good earth connection to the engine or frame too.

Thanks for the reply,

It's 12,000 miles and was services a few months ago but I wasn't there when they did it, I assume they changed the oil and such.

I'm going to change the spark plug at the weekend and test the voltage of the battery.

I only make short journeys each day (10-15 mins in the morning and night) and I haven't used the bike in about a week due to holidays etc.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigals wrote:

I assume they changed the oil and such.

I'd add an oil and filter change to that list as well.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:47 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigals wrote:
was services a few months ago but I wasn't there when they did it, I assume they changed the oil and such.

I'd assume the opposite. For the sake of a litre of oil, it's not worth gambling on. I see the CBR doesn't even have a replacable filter, it's a mesh screen, so definitely give that a good clean.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:25 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sigals wrote:
was services a few months ago but I wasn't there when they did it, I assume they changed the oil and such.

I'd assume the opposite. For the sake of a litre of oil, it's not worth gambling on. I see the CBR doesn't even have a replacable filter, it's a mesh screen, so definitely give that a good clean.

It is a fucker to get to, but its well worth it, otherwise you'll end up starving your bearings up north in the engine and you'll get a fucking tasty tapping noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is refusing to start this morning - ticking over but engine wont start up.

I think the battery must be dead so I've ordered a trickle charger.

I'm still going to change the spark plug at the weekend - will update but hopefully that should solve the issue.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigals wrote:
The bike is refusing to start this morning - ticking over but engine wont start up.

I think the battery must be dead so I've ordered a trickle charger.

I'm still going to change the spark plug at the weekend - will update but hopefully that should solve the issue.

Ticking over is when the engine is running, turning over is when its cranking but not firing.

Where abouts are you located? I've have many of these and can probably help if you are close.

Good luck changing the plug, very tight gap. Use a thin deep spark plug tool on a short extension, crank it loose and then put hand in and remove the ratchet and twist by hand, its a proper douche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dave.999
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:19 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence i have a similar problem with my CBR 125 2014, 19k on the clock. On mine the revs are just falling down when its at idle under 3k with constant gas and even when i adjust the idle revs to be 3k its running for a minute and then revs are slowly dropping till its stalls. When it stalls when im not riding i can start it again on the button with opening the trottle but when it stalls while riding it wont start on the button but will easily start with a push.
When the bike gets to the proper temperature it works all right.
I tried different batteries and its the same.
Spark plug is new, and oil changed recently as well.
Also i have a problem upshifting to third gear time to time but dont think it may be related
Any help would be much appreciated

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

It is a fucker to get to, but its well worth it, otherwise you'll end up starving your bearings up north in the engine and you'll get a fucking tasty tapping noise.

The last one I was involved with, it wasn't that bad to get at, but you have to be prepared to have to replace the clutch cover gasket if you don't get it out cleanly.

And brake cleaner. The strainer will be full of shit and that will clean it quicker than anything else.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 06 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigals wrote:
I'm going to [...] test the voltage of the battery.

Before you start flinging any money at the electrics, I'd urge you to buy a basic multimeter and diagnose things rather than guessing.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:02 - 07 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced the spark plug and put that battery back in after charging it overnight and bike seems to be fine now - took it out for 20 minutes earlier.

I did notice some vibration through the footpegs though not sure what that is.

Cheers for the help.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought the issue was resolved however on my way from work today the bike cut out several times whilst I was stopped with the clutch in.

I pulled over in to a car park and sat with the engine running and recorded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849zuKa59es

You can hear the engine struggling then it dies.

If I keep the revs up while stopped it's okay and while at speed it's fine - I'm going to check the air filter at the weekend but other suggestions and opinions appreciated.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Where abouts are you located? I've have many of these and can probably help if you are close.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:58 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Hey mate located in the north of england. Have you got any ideas?

Cheers.

Last edited by Sigals on 01:15 - 10 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 idea, thats mega far. Laughing

Erm, not really other than whether its happening when wet or if its just random..

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:28 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check the valve clearences at the weekend as I found someone who had pretty much exactly the same symptoms and that fixed it for them.

Will check the air filter at the same time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:51 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact it starts and runs would make me think otherwise.

It should idle around 1.5k, that is normal.

It should start when its hot or cold.

Only thing I can think of is it has the typical kinked breather pipe or its just needing a service. It shouldn't really need the valves doing.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:04 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the air filter and it looks brand new and made sure there was no kink in the breather pipe.

Taking it into the garage tomorrow and going to let them have a look at it.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:18 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP the problem is somewhere in the charging system....either shot reg/rec but more likely burnt stator coils....the battery isn't staying charged....like someone else says get a multimeter and service manual and test the electrical components....

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:15 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it to the garage and they adjusted the valve clearances to the correct values.

I rode it home and seemed ok when idling however when I pulled into my street the engine cut out again.

I've ridden it to work since then and its still been cutting out when coming to a stop or when stopped.

The issue only seems to happen at idle, when I'm at speed it's fine.

Engine starts on the button and starts back up straight away after the engine dies.

It must be some kind of fuel problem I think.... hopefully the fuel injector isn't f*cked.

I will take it back to the garage tomorrow to see if they can advise any more.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you were told it was highly unlikely to be valve clearances. So, you went and spent money on having the valve clearances done?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he did.

Honda 125 valves can pretty much be ignored.

I'd suggest that either the idle is wrong...it must have an adjuster somewhere... Or its simply got a problem with the fuel system... But where to look. Laughing

If you keep revs up, does it die. What does it idle at when coming to a stop.

Sigals
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
So, you were told it was highly unlikely to be valve clearances. So, you went and spent money on having the valve clearances done?

The valves needed adjusting but it hasn't solved the problem.

Paddy. wrote:
Yes he did.

Honda 125 valves can pretty much be ignored.

I'd suggest that either the idle is wrong...it must have an adjuster somewhere... Or its simply got a problem with the fuel system... But where to look. Laughing

If you keep revs up, does it die. What does it idle at when coming to a stop.

It's fuel injected so controlled by computer, if I keep the revs up it doesn't die which is what I am having to do at the moment. I'll have a look tomorrow and see what it's idling at when stopping but I think it's around 1.5-2k.

Luckyfish13
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:28 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection is pretty reliable, apart from the jets getting clogged and needing a good clean (I use marvel mystery oil in my fuel), it's unlikely to be the fuel maps...

Unless you've made changes to ur bike like sports exhaust, air filter, spark plug, even oil change could mess with the map setup....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2