Carrera

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Carrera Reply with quote

Any good?
I had a sit on a Crossfire 3 which ergonomically fit me quite well.
Not many for sale around my neck of the woods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:24 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-3-mens-hybrid-bike-17-19-21-frames#

How much is the one you've found?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one in London for 120.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikelifed? Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the danger. Looks well used tbh.
I found another in Coventry, bit further out but claims to be new without tags, never ridden etc. £225.
An hour and a half drive and another £100 but probably the better buy.

What do you think of the make in general?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I don't think they're meant to be amazing but for ~£200 it might be worthwhile.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 04 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
recman wrote:

I don't think they're meant to be amazing but for ~£200 it might be worthwhile.

At my unfit level its probably more than good enough.
Feels quite light and sturdy and like I said, pretty comfortable.
I'm not hunched over the bars but still have plenty of height in the saddle.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So these are some of the parts, any good?
https://s18.postimg.org/506uxz2k9/20180107_140855.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/3xwoffz6h/20180107_140905.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/wnjkc20ll/20180107_140954.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/9m2z6ciyh/20180107_141103.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/z4vbjbzxl/20180107_141111.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/bqnc7exft/20180107_141122.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/sr68g3pwp/20180107_141128.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/oi1idwk2h/20180107_141145.jpg

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:26 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy?

Carrera bikes are fine, usually quite low end but I've not seen a bad word about them. It's all about components anyway, of which most are third party Sram/Shimano etc.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
So these are some of the parts, any good?

They are adequate for the price point. They're not "good". They're cheap and functional with no bells and whistles but they will do the job you ask of them.
Precision and longevity/reliability would come with higher spec components but a bike that is used for commuting/going to the shops/general pottering about on doesn't need anything higher spec.

They're good, in the same way a Suzuki GS500 is good. Adequate; but far from fun or flashy.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:30 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So these are some of the parts, any good?"

Acceptable for the money. The one you've found for £225 sounds a better deal than the well used, possibly bikelifed one in London for £120.

I'd be much more cautious about saying it's acceptable if you were paying RRP of £400 but at nearly half that price, assuming it's the right size for you and it's approximately the type of bike you're wanting I don't think you can go too badly wrong.

If you put the miles in then stuff will wear out faster than components on shiny expensive bikes do however at that point you can either upgrade the worn out components or upgrade the entire bike and sell the Crossfire 3 to some other unfit bike n00b. Razz

There's not really much to say about Carrera bikes so that's why there's no one posting "OMFG amazingly brilliant bike, buy it right now before anyone else does" but there's also no one telling you that it's a fucking piece of shit. Laughing

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you put the miles in then stuff will wear out faster than components on shiny expensive bikes do

Agreed, although I'd be willing to bet a very well maintained bike with low-spec components would last as long as a neglected bike with high-spec components.
It's quite easy to make shitty components last, if you're willing to keep on top of maintenance.
(Example source: my 20 year old beater I ride to work on is still on the original chain, cassette, chainset and derailleur/shifters. Only had to replace the cables, just last year, and it all still functions perfectly!)

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"So these are some of the parts, any good?"

Acceptable for the money. The one you've found for £225 sounds a better deal than the well used, possibly bikelifed one in London for £120.

I'd be much more cautious about saying it's acceptable if you were paying RRP of £400 but at nearly half that price, assuming it's the right size for you and it's approximately the type of bike you're wanting I don't think you can go too badly wrong.

If you put the miles in then stuff will wear out faster than components on shiny expensive bikes do however at that point you can either upgrade the worn out components or upgrade the entire bike and sell the Crossfire 3 to some other unfit bike n00b. Razz

There's not really much to say about Carrera bikes so that's why there's no one posting "OMFG amazingly brilliant bike, buy it right now before anyone else does" but there's also no one telling you that it's a fucking piece of shit. Laughing

Oh yeah, I realise it's not a top end machine or even a middle class one for that matter.
Being the n00b, I just didn't know if the bits and pieces were ok or whether someone might recognise a duff component being palmed off as decent.
Quite surprised at the stopping power, I never thought the flimsy looking disc brakes would work in the way as rim jobs.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you not got a Decathlon nearby? The BTwin range is quite good, and reasonably priced. I have a Rockrider 5.0.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Have you not got a Decathlon nearby? The BTwin range is quite good, and reasonably priced. I have a Rockrider 5.0.

I have a bTwin Rockrider 5.3 from 2012, bought because it had a slightly higher spec groupset compared to similarly priced Halfords stuff.

Suntour XCR 100mm with Lockout, SRAM X5 shifters, SRAM X-5 front+rear derailier and SRAM K7 Cassette. Tektro IO disc brakes, selle Royal saddle, 600mm bars, Rigida rims, Wellgo pedals.

£350

Equivalent is probably Rockrider 540 for £380

The good. It was pretty good at simple offroading. Fork lockout is useful for tarmac!

The bad. It's quite heavy and the bottom bracket shat itself after less than 100 miles. Replaced with a Shimano unit and Decathlon refunded me, so Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the make of forks I have is but the lockout feature was the major selling point of the bike.
Going off-piste isn't a requirement at the moment but it may well be in the future when I reach acceptable fitness levels.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:12 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Suntour. XCT or XCM usually.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Not sure what the make of forks I have is but the lockout feature was the major selling point of the bike.

I can't remember the last time I used the lockout on my fork. That's not to say I haven't used it, because I have, but usually just because it is there and it makes me feel good to use the thing that they put there. I can't say I noticed a huge benefit and the main downside is forgetting to unlockout (lockin?) when I get to the next lumpy descent. It's not like it's difficult to do either - I have a remote lockout lever on the bar, I just don't find the need to use it.

That said, most of my miles are off-road.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:31 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick vote of confidence here, I've been hammering a Halfords special Carrera Parva for 6 months inc through the winter and it's managing a daily commute about town quite well, granted only about 20 miles but in all weathers it's touching 140 miles a week for 'low end'.

For the money you can't really complain, way I see it if it lasts a year and cost £150 new it's a reasonable amount per month, can't get a contract phone on a comparative deal!
Still on all original parts, get's a wash once a fortnight and a WD40 once a week.
Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1