Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Power Commander Alternatives

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Power Commander Alternatives Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with any power commander alternatives?

I've used to have a two brothers juice box pro in my er6, which I had a map made for. However, neither of these cheapies seem to be programmable, sounds more they alter feedback from various sensors (ie air temp)

Nitro X Fuel Commander
(ebay)

Or Power Jet Fuel Commander (ebay)

Reason is for smoothing out the rev range on a 2004 CBR 600f with an after market exhaust and filter.

Thanks

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:51 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be opening a can of worms here but I used a booster plug to sort out my throttle snatch and slightly rough mid range. It did everything it said it would do and I am pleased with it.
I must mention though that at the time there wasn't an alternative as Power commander and ECU flashing wasn't available for my bike at the time because it was a new model.

I would go with an ECU flash rather than fart about with power commander, so much more scope in the hands of the right person.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ackack wrote:
I may be opening a can of worms here but I used a booster plug to sort out my throttle snatch and slightly rough mid range. It did everything it said it would do and I am pleased with it.
I must mention though that at the time there wasn't an alternative as Power commander and ECU flashing wasn't available for my bike at the time because it was a new model.

I would go with an ECU flash rather than fart about with power commander, so much more scope in the hands of the right person.

Thanks for this. I'll have a chat with the firm that do the maps and see what they can offer.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the o2 sensor on my MT-03 improved the bike at low speed, although BCF told me it was all a placebo.

Last edited by M.C on 05:18 - 09 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
placebo.

Exactly!

I only really notice the flat spot when I'm travelling low speed and can easliy avoid it... by downshifting. If I pin it, I don't even notice.

If there was a cheap fix for this, I'd be up for it. But I'm not looking at spending £200 for a power commander and over £150 for a custom map.

A 2nd hand PC and downloaded map would tempt me.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask someone who sells Power Commanders, they'll probably tell you otherwise but I gather that, if you can get a straightforward ECU flash, it's cheaper and you often have more options for tinkering than with a fuelling module.

That said, 2013-16 Daytonas have a block on the ECU, so they can't be flashed (thanks Triumph), so I bought a Rapid Bike Evo (I think). Unlike a Power Commander, the wiring loom is replaceable, so you can transfer the unit to a new bike if you buy the correct loom, rather than having to buy a whole new unit. It's a little more money than a Power Commander, outright, but that appears to get saved in the long run.

I bought mine to improve the fuelling, having fitted an aftermarket can and air filter; had it mapped at DWR Racing in Aylesbury and results were instantly noticeable.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:

That said, 2013-16 Daytonas have a block on the ECU, so they can't be flashed (thanks Triumph), so I bought a Rapid Bike Evo (I think). Unlike a Power Commander, the wiring loom is replaceable, so you can transfer the unit to a new bike if you buy the correct loom, rather than having to buy a whole new unit. It's a little more money than a Power Commander, outright, but that appears to get saved in the long run.

The other options on the 13-16 Daytona is the Bazzaz unit which I believe takes over both the top and bottom injectors whereas the PC only does the top injectors.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:
If you ask someone who sells...

That's kinda what made me doubt the err... game. The Kev Mod guy (Kev? Smile) claims eliminating the o2 sensor doesn't work, and that when he 'proved' this they stopped selling them overnight. Funny that multiple people who tried one on the (now defunct) owners forum noticed a difference.

What I took from it was that his mods are nicely priced/placed between supposed junk and Power Commanders.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is most new bikes are set up pretty horrifically as standard, to comply with noise and emissions regulations. Also remember that anything with a catalyst fitted has to be fuelled very precisely through the Rev/load range to allow the cat to work and actually reduce emissions.

A max power or throttle response map, and a map to meet stringent emissions regs looks very different. As would an economy map. If you don't bin the catalyst, you can't get alot of bikes to run/fuel well, and you'll never be able to run an out&out performance map.

Also a re-flashed ECU by someone that knows what to change and where is a good thing, but a generic off the shelf best map is rarely any good at all. And irrespective of if your using a std ECU or an aftermarket unit, nothing beats live mapping on a load cell dyno, where you can drive the bike to anywhere on the map, and make adjustments/corrections to get the best fuel/ignition settings, while instantly seeing the effects on a screen in front of you.

Seat of the pants tuning in this age is next to hopeless, as is doing plug chops, or getting big Dave to road test the bike and tell you if it's better or not etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1