Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insufficient laptop space to update Garmin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Insufficient laptop space to update Garmin Reply with quote

Just tried to update my Garmin satnav as usual using Garmin Express, and it's announced that it needs at least 14 Gb (!) of temporary hard disk space to do this. My laptop has an SSD of only 150-odd Gb, with about 8 Gb free; that's nearly all program/system files so there's no way to achieve the necessary space without uninstalling software (which I'd then need to do again every time I needed to repeat this).

Is there any clever way round this? I have a 32 Gb USB drive and a huge networked P: drive, but Garmin doesn't seem to care about that...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

go here C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps and delete the old maps ..
defrag.. and use tools to delete unwanted clutter..

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
defrag

Don't do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, don't defrag an SSD. Are you running Windows 10? You might get some space back if you reduce the page file and lose the hibernate :-

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/SSD-optimization-in-Windows-10-964/

And cleaning WinSXS :-

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82643-clean-up-component-store-winsxs-folder-windows-10-a.html
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disk Cleanup will likely help. It's built into Windows, and will SAFELY remove old files.

Treesize will give you a good overview of what folders are taking up the most space - https://jam-software.com/treesize_free/

As mentioned, DO NOT defrag an SSD. Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
defrag

Don't do that.

and why not ?

incidentally installing on an external drive will cause more problems than it will fix..

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could try creating a symbolic link on your OS drive that points to a folder on your USB or network drive. That way Garmin thinks its on your OS drive... but it isn't Wink

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

and why not ?

Because it is both unnecessary and potentially harmful. In fact a defrag utility may not even run on an SSD, or will warn you not to.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

and why not ?

On a spinning disk, data can be read faster if all the data is in a solid block, rather than if the data is spread over the disk causing the read heads to search for each tiny piece of the data block. As the disk is spinning, not only do you lose speed for each time the head has to move, you also have to wait for the disk to spin into the right place for the head to read the data.

SSDs can read info from anywhere on the disk at the same speed, so it doesn't matter if the data is in a solid contiguous piece or not. Add to this that SSDs have a limited number of writes, and defrags will really hit the reliability of the drive.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:14 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

and why not ?

See thread, it's flash/NAND. If I was to defrag my M2 it would likely complain, but it's not something you do on an SSD...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

and why not ?

See thread, it's flash/NAND. If I was to defrag my M2 it would likely complain, but it's not something you do on an SSD...

See thread where exactly did i say defrag the SSD ;/ ..

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:25 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
go here C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps and delete the old maps ..
defrag.. and use tools to delete unwanted clutter..

Here is where you say it.

You talk about C:\ first off, surely then you need to qualify you next statement by saying "Don't defrag C:\" Quite a large proportion of peoples C:\ drives are SSD's these days.

Defragging doesn't gain you a lot of space. Disk cleanup does, but not a lot.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I'm reasonably savvy about keeping crap-free, but I managed to increase my free space from 8Gb to 11Gb (most of that was killing System Restore) so am still falling short. Crying or Very sad
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Well you could try creating a symbolic link on your OS drive that points to a folder on your USB or network drive. That way Garmin thinks its on your OS drive... but it isn't Wink
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

@Shaggy - I'm still running Windows 7 actually - I deliberately bought the laptop with a win7 'downgrade' as I loathe Win10 (and IIRC it doesn't support some of my software). However since Microsoft are about to end Win 7 support it's really time for me to bite the bullet; so I think it's probably time I bought a bigger SSD and worked out how to install it with Win10. OMG. That will be a whole other problem... Rolling Eyes

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of thought it might install onto a USB3 flash drive, presumably it's all the stored maps are so large.
Do you have to install all of them in one go?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

@Shaggy - I'm still running Windows 7

Still might be some mileage in cleaning WinSXS.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/cleanup-the-winsxs-folder-in-windows/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1