Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Had my cylinder head ported and polished :D

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

vimtozz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:57 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Had my cylinder head ported and polished :D Reply with quote

Ive had my cylinder head ported and polished ;D My bike had done 45k miles, wanted to do my valve clearences and replace the cam chain as i hope to keep this bike for a long time so i thought why not take the top and to inspect everything and my friend who used to work for a wsb team for 10 years offered to port it for me. Quite pleased. Putting the engine back together tomorrow and cant wait too see how much of a difference it makes.

https://i.gyazo.com/0ea9c8793dc95cdf613656e083c6363b.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/30594bd95b66e0397679bd6052a803d8.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/2eb30a41f8e2e902bd7a8c37eb19c41f.jpg

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a stud short of a full set.
What engine is it?

Hello BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vimtozz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:49 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
You're a stud short of a full set.
What engine is it?

Hello BTW.

Haha, I am. This was done on my xj6 engine. They say it uses a old R6 lump but the internals are actually very different. Was hoping could swap parts around for more power but doesn't look to be the case.

I might have a different account as im sure ive posted a fair few times on here before but it only shows 2 posts lol oh well

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:52 - 09 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely not related to an R6 Laughing

Edit - total flan, its the xj6, not xj600 Laughing

Last edited by P. on 11:18 - 10 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vimtozz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:00 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

A boy could dream. Ah well, Im on a A2 licence atm so quite happy with the bike. Can finally take my full bike test late july when i turn 21.

https://i.gyazo.com/e04d9e74e9744e6572af7e318eb5caca.png

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I polished up the ports on a single cylinder Honda a few years ago and it definitely let the engine breath better at all revs

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/CIMG2982.jpg~original

Smoothing the inlet tracts makes for far more of a difference than the exhaust ports.Just smoothing the casting marks and knife edging the ridge between the inlet tracts makes it worthwhile Thumbs Up

I have done the same to my Exup1000 cylinder head (20 valves Shocked ) and to a 5JJ R1 cylinder head and in both instances a smoother engine pickup and better throttle response was felt at all revs Dance!

I am looking forward to doing the same to my KTM 450 and XR400 cylinder heads at some time in the future Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Last edited by Fizzer Thou on 22:05 - 15 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vimtozz wrote:
Ah well, Im on a A2 licence atm so quite happy with the bike.

Interesting choice, makes a change from the usual twins.

Restricted, or "restricted"?

vimtozz wrote:
Can finally take my full bike test late july when i turn 21.

I'm sure you know, but so we're clear, it's 2 full years after you obtained A2, not when you hit 21.

Great news is that you can just book it yourself use your XJ for it rather than going via a training school. You can just "derestrict" it in the test centre car park. Whistle

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Not according to "MCN" Shocked

Quote:
This is a retuned version of the engine you’ll find in the current Yamaha FZ6, which in turn is an old-school Yamaha R6 lump.

But then in the next sentence it says the following

Quote:
It gets a new cylinder head, softer-performance camshafts, reshaped inlet ports, new forged pistons and a one-piece crankcase and cylinder block.

So it doesn't share very much with it then Laughing

Sauce - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/yamaha/xj6/2009/

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:16 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on this bike i dont think porting the (exhaust) heads would do too much, but it is a nice neat thing to do and probably improves the life of the engine.
If it was a slightly powerful car I'd reccomend looking at a remap as afr might be affected but itll make so little difference on your bike.

Nice job though I can appreciate a good block strip down and refurb (Y)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:37 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got it for free, then that's great. But it does seem a bit crazy to tune a bike that was detuned in the factory. It's normally quicker and easier in that case to ditch the bike and buy one that is faster.

However, if people didn't do stuff like this, then there would be less back street garages and tuners around to do work on bikes when I need it, so each to their own.

Interesting project nevertheless. I'd love to see 'before' and 'after' dyno charts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:40 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd love to see 'before' and 'after' dyno charts.

35kW and 35kW, surely? Whistle

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:03 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I'd love to see 'before' and 'after' dyno charts.

35kW and 35kW, surely? Whistle

Well, indeed!

This is like spending a ton of money on an 8 core CPU only to find that none of your software supports anything more than 1 core...

My analogy isn't great because it doesn't involve the Computer Plod arresting you for using too many cores...

vimtozz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:19 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a certificate saying its restricted okay :p Convo ends.

I do have a before dyno chart and will try find time to get it on a dyno again. In process of putting the bike back together now so i will update how it feels to ride this evening. I also have installed a power commander since that dyno.

I dont want to ditch the bike, this will stay my daily commuter for a long time. I took my test days after i turned 19 so when i turn 21 in july and take my full test, i want to get a second bike, Something more crazy for sunny days only. Looking at Superduke 990R Very Happy

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:22 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

my scoob going on the dyno in march - last time it was dynod at 360. that was before i:

ported
740cc injectors
fuel pressure reg
front mount intercooler
3 port boost control solenoid
FP Red GT35 turbo
shed about 75kg in weight

hoping for 400-450 Very Happy

edit: i sense downvote for car talk incoming shit.....

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
my scoob going on the dyno in march - last time it was dynod at 360. that was before i:

ported
740cc injectors
fuel pressure reg
front mount intercooler
FP Red GT35 turbo

That'll make a huge difference on the dyno Wink

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:28 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

ported
740cc injectors
fuel pressure reg
front mount intercooler
FP Red GT35 turbo

That'll make a huge difference on the dyno Wink

that was for the track obviously :p its genuinely louder in my car than on my bike (with an aftermarket can too)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vimtozz wrote:
I have a certificate saying its restricted okay :p Convo ends.

<proudface-meme.png>

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some effort put into tinkering with a motor nowadays when most would just plug in a tweaked fuel map or switch air filter Thumbs Up but similarly this begs the question why not just do that?

From what i understand modern engines are relatively well manufactured from the get go with little casting imperfections to hinder performance significantly compared to years past, a remap or some much would probably equal similar gain for far less work and cost (unless you did the latter on your tod).

Not criticising just curious really, (funnily enough Friday I'm collecting my 750 head which has just had the same plus new guides and a light skim, some was necessary but the porting just for the sake of it).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work OP.

Ash, honest question here mate, but I assume your Subaru is a 2.0 and not a 2.5? Do you think that on the road and even some of the time on track, that the much bigger turbo you've fitted for the big power increase will make the car faster rather than slower in the real world?

My Rover has never been dyno'd but I'm guessing at 16psi it's 260-275bhp, and that's on a T28 journal bearing turbo. It feels slower than a std one around town, (not helped by lower compression pistons). I don't get any boost below 2600rpm and double figures are around 3000rpm+.

That's too high for a lazy driver like me who just wants to floor it at low Revs and feel it accelerating hard.

I only ask your take on it, as Ive driven a std 2.0 bug eye Sti on a small track, and was less impressed than I was with a turbo 2000 classic engine wise.

Lots of turbo car owners seem to like big turbos and huge top end numbers at the expense of lag and dull low speed performance.

Im just miserable and old, and want a 5.0 V8 Nasp runabout I think though. Laughing

vimtozz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:
Nice to see some effort put into tinkering with a motor nowadays when most would just plug in a tweaked fuel map or switch air filter Thumbs Up but similarly this begs the question why not just do that

I already have a power commander fitted Smile Honestly this was just for the sake of it too see how much of a difference it will really make. I already had most of it apart for valve clearances.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

ported
740cc injectors
fuel pressure reg
front mount intercooler
FP Red GT35 turbo

Thinking
What has your shed got to do with it?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got an aftermarket exhaust and power commander, then once dyno set up you'll probably see a bit of a gain from your head work on the XJ. It'll be the cam profiles and compression ratio that will be the restrictive area and hold the motor back.

I think you'll see 6-7bhp more personally, and if you can put FZ6 or R6 cams in, you'll probably see a bit more still.

I like the OP's view on doing this work and spending money on a fairly basic budget bike to see what happens.

Im spending £££'s on my 125 just to see how much better I can make it, so I do get OP's view and outlook on his bike too.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:05 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way this tuning could get more pointless would be for the bike to really use a detuned early R6 engine as a starting point.
That way it can still be pointless, but it might also chew up second gear and slip a liner.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:18 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Nice work OP.

Ash, honest question here mate, but I assume your Subaru is a 2.0 and not a 2.5? Do you think that on the road and even some of the time on track, that the much bigger turbo you've fitted for the big power increase will make the car faster rather than slower in the real world?

My Rover has never been dyno'd but I'm guessing at 16psi it's 260-275bhp, and that's on a T28 journal bearing turbo. It feels slower than a std one around town, (not helped by lower compression pistons). I don't get any boost below 2600rpm and double figures are around 3000rpm+.

That's too high for a lazy driver like me who just wants to floor it at low Revs and feel it accelerating hard.

I only ask your take on it, as Ive driven a std 2.0 bug eye Sti on a small track, and was less impressed than I was with a turbo 2000 classic engine wise.

Lots of turbo car owners seem to like big turbos and huge top end numbers at the expense of lag and dull low speed performance.

Im just miserable and old, and want a 5.0 V8 Nasp runabout I think though. Laughing

Yes its a 2.0 - im not a fan of the 2.5 needs far too much refurb from stock to be able to put power through (sooo many 2.5 failures around)
There is definitely turbo lag up to around 2500-3000, but im planning to map in anti-lag when it goes into the mappers in March which should alleviate these problems (at the expense of some turbo life i know).
Mine is a classic 97 JDM STI which IMO are better than most newages with the exception of the Hawkeye JDM. The only ones better really (mechanically) are the STI type R and the 22b.

Originally it was planned for Santa Pod hence the big turbo but im kinda moving sideways and hybriding it now cos the track is addictive.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Nice work OP.

I fitted a T30 to my MR2 (along with the supporting mods, obvs), I regret doing it all TBH - as you say, it's lagggggyyyy - it comes on ridiculously strong (usually wanting to swap ends) and you need to keep it on the boil to have any fun. It has a VTA wastegate (screamer) which I also regret doing, can't use it on trackdays now. TBH I used to have more fun with my old NA 1.6 Mk1 MR2 - in summary, good for embarassing people on motorways, boring in every other aspect.

I'm seriously thinking about swapping the turbo out and refitting a hybridised CT20 (the standard turbo for the car) - big numbers don't mean much if they're no fun :/ But like you - I'm just getting miserable and old. (I've had the car for nearly 20 years now! Not even sure why I've kept it TBH, just clinging onto my yoof..)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2