Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Let's talk about bent downpipes...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:22 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Let's talk about bent downpipes... Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/PSclLCW.jpg

A car pulled out on me a couple of months ago and my bike hit the curb HARD so I guess that's how it happened, only noticed it when doing some maintenance on my bike on the weekend. No cracks and I've been riding it around how it is without any problems... It's resting on the oil cooler though so perhaps that could be an issue when the weather gets warmer? Replace sooner, later or not at all? (Bike is due to be turned into a track bike next year)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:30 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about bent downpipes... Reply with quote

SV650SKid wrote:
Replace sooner, later or not at all? (Bike is due to be turned into a track bike next year)

Up to you and your financial situation really. Keep an eye on the oil temperature if you leave it.

Check this out if you wanna know how it may affect performance

Motor Trend Channel wrote:

You might find more help posting this in the Workshop section of the forum though...
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Last edited by TheMadRatter on 14:06 - 10 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd replace it and hope to jeebus that the studs aren't seized.

Are you also missing a clamp between your downpipe and the mid/collector pipe?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be slightly concerned about extra force on the oil cooler mounting points. Laughing

Keep an eye on eBay for a suitable set of downpipes as they don't go for huge amounts of money.

What other damage haven't you noticed? Razz

Generally you'll get more bike for your money if you buy a track bike rather than converting your road bike. Plus you can use the opportunity to get yourself something faster than your v twin commuter. Wink

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I'd replace it and hope to jeebus that the studs aren't seized.

Both of these^^

Also, have you inspected for other damage?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:35 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres pretty much no doubt that will affect performance. Whether that bothers you is a different matter.
Personally, I'd replace it, sell the bike and buy a prepped Minitwin. Or if I'm not racing, I'd buy a 10 year old 600 and do trackdays on that.

Oh wait, that's exactly what I did! Smile

If you're racing in Minitwins then you'll want a professionally prepared bike. If you're doing trackdays then you'll want a bit more go than an SV650 ideally.

Buuuut, this is BCF and it's just advice. As the song says 'you're free to do what you want to do'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a potato in the end can, turn the engine on and the dent will just pop back out under the pressure.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
Stick a potato in...

https://i.imgur.com/qHRLU5P.gif

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:49 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there supposed to be an empty hole in the engines case ?

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:21 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about bent downpipes... Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
Up to you and your financial situation really. Keep an eye on the oil temperature if you leave it.

Check this out if you're wanna know how it may affect performance

Motor Trend Channel wrote:

You might find more help posting this in the Workshop section of the forum though...

Haven't been here for a while, completely forgot about that section. Ah well. £35 for a new set so I may as well, that's a hefty bend so I can only assume performance will have been somewhat affected (I haven't noticed it though)

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Yep

Ste wrote:
I'd be slightly concerned about extra force on the oil cooler mounting points. Laughing

Keep an eye on eBay for a suitable set of downpipes as they don't go for huge amounts of money.

What other damage haven't you noticed? Razz

Generally you'll get more bike for your money if you buy a track bike rather than converting your road bike. Plus you can use the opportunity to get yourself something faster than your v twin commuter. Wink

That's the thing, bought this last February for £1900 with 17k miles, almost on 25k now and it's been down the road a few times. The mounting point on the frame that the nose cone fairing bracket bolts on to is bent so the clocks/mirrors will never be straight. The OEM nose fairing is cracked and broken in many places and the rest of the fairings are Chinese. The front wheel's got a few grinds on it. I won't be fully converting it, I'll just be taking it off the road so that my road bike won't be at risk of getting binned on the track. At this point I doubt I'd get a lot for it if I sold it??

fatjames wrote:
Stick a potato in the end can, turn the engine on and the dent will just pop back out under the pressure.

Heh..

Colin98 wrote:
is there supposed to be an empty hole in the engines case ?

Yep, it's there on every SV engine I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damaged fairings and bent fairing brackets are just cosmetic, a bent downpipe putting force on the oil cooler has the potential to go very badly wrong. Laughing

I seriously doubt that anything like that will happen but apart from whatever the effect has been on the power, the oil cooler is what I'd be concerned about.

If you take it off the road so that your road bike won't be at risk of getting binned on track, your road bike will still be at risk of getting binned on the roads and it sounds like your bike is already getting damaged on the roads. Razz

You say you won't be fully converting it but you'll still have to spend money on it. Exactly how much you'd have to spend is something to worry about next year and at that point, what MarJay says about buying a 10 year old 600 and using that for doing trackdays will still be sound advice.

Replace the downpipes and then put possible trackbike plans aside for the moment. Mr. Green

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are cheap on ebay (the header) would be taking a look the studs too if the crash has put a bunch of stress on them. Sacrifice a goat to the stud god for good measure.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerb

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Damaged fairings and bent fairing brackets are just cosmetic, a bent downpipe putting force on the oil cooler has the potential to go very badly wrong. Laughing

I seriously doubt that anything like that will happen but apart from whatever the effect has been on the power, the oil cooler is what I'd be concerned about.

If you take it off the road so that your road bike won't be at risk of getting binned on track, your road bike will still be at risk of getting binned on the roads and it sounds like your bike is already getting damaged on the roads. Razz

You say you won't be fully converting it but you'll still have to spend money on it. Exactly how much you'd have to spend is something to worry about next year and at that point, what MarJay says about buying a 10 year old 600 and using that for doing trackdays will still be sound advice.

Replace the downpipes and then put possible trackbike plans aside for the moment. Mr. Green

Hmm the thing is it's not the fairing bracket but the actual mounting point on the frame (it's been pushed into the frame, try to imagine the top of a bottle being pushed in on itself). Doesn't that count as frame damage or does the future buyer not have to know that Twisted Evil

But I appreciate all of the advice, I did contact someone before posting this thread and it'll cost me £35 posted for the downpipes. I may as well order new gaskets and new studs in case things go wrong.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww you call that bent Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/FrpG4Bj.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 04:07 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650SKid wrote:
Hmm the thing is it's not the fairing bracket but the actual mounting point on the frame (it's been pushed into the frame, try to imagine the top of a bottle being pushed in on itself). Doesn't that count as frame damage or does the future buyer not have to know that Twisted Evil

I think you already know the answers to both of those questions. Razz

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about a dent like that too much, headers can get pretty beat up without hurting performance badly.

EDIT: Didn't realise Ratter linked to the MT header bash video...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1