Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lets lighten the discussions... Latte levy!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:48 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was noticing last night that a lot of the things you can buy in the chill counter in plastic are available from the freezer in cardboard for about half the price.

Like fish fingers, pizzas, fish cakes, chicken nuggets, quorn etc. etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
very little or no choice when it comes to how the products you buy are, originally packaged!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/aug/31/back-to-the-future-the-zero-waste-supermarket

Significant part is "London’s latest attempt at a zero-waste supermarket".

Every so often some chatterati decides to throw daddy's money away on selling mung beans by the bushel, but they remain niche. I see "Bulk Buy" is currently... between premises.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Lets lighten the discussions... Latte levy!!! Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
uncivilised
I've always bean careful with my spellings.

You were perfectly fine first time... Cool

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:07 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Jmoan wrote:
Now we have this retarded bag tax

We've had it for years. It's worked. Unlike so many ecotithes (fuel duty being the worst) it's actually effective.

Yes but where will I put my,now non refundable, irn bru bottle if I have to stuff my pocket full of bags?

The crackpots were thinking of copying the Scandinavian scam with recyclables.

Quote:
The Scottish government is planning to introduce a deposit return scheme for bottles and cans.

Customers would pay a surcharge when purchasing bottles or cans under the programme, which will be refunded when they return them to a shop.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/05/scotland-planning-deposit-return-scheme-for-bottles-and-cans

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:47 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Yes but where will I put my,now non refundable, irn bru bottle if I have to stuff my pocket full of bags?

Same place as every Buckfast bottle ever made: smash it on the ground in a children's play park.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by smegballs on 21:37 - 17 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Since 2014 the UK has been brushing the plastic waste mountain under the carpet by exporting millions of tonnes of plastic waste to China.

It's better than when they used to (maybe still do) send recycling to landfill in places like Brazil etc., well maybe not for the local Chinese inhabitants.

Suntan Sid wrote:
IMO, the carrier bag tax is fine, the consumer has a choice, pay for a bag every time you shop or buy a bag that'll last a bit longer.
Putting aside what the 5p per bag levy is actually used for, at least there is an alternative.

Depends on the quality of the bag. Sainsburys give you a decent bag for 5p, Tesco sell you the same crap ones that used to be free. Hence why I use Sainsburys bags for my weekly shop in Tesco Folded arms
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, plan properly and it won't be an issue, just like the plastic bag tax.

Plastic bag tax reduced usage of plastic bags by something like 80% overnight, whilst raising funds for environmental causes.

Disposable cup tax will do similar.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5613faf8e4b051c1fb534ae3/t/56eeff768259b504619a441f/1458503560881/

This, essentially.

Packaging is a thornier issue, as Smegballs mentions. I drive my housemates nuts by cleaning out plastic tubs and keeping them as ad hoc containers. I now just keep the nice ones Laughing, which they regularly use now as well.

They are really good quality bits of kit, designed for good loss prevention, and to just throw them away instantly is heart breaking.

We will start to see more and more of these taxes in future, which could essentially be called laziness taxes. Again, I could bore you with freshly learned stuff, but essentially we are not paying the true cost for goods... many costs are left external.

By taxing things it is an attempt to discourage use, and to make the actual cost something closer to the true cost. A cup might only cost 0.1p to produce... but the effect of water degradation in production, air pollution in transport, land use for disposal, etc etc. Probably does start coming close to 25p.

Or just bring your own cup Thumbs Up

Considering the cost of a StarCost is now not far off a fiver anyway, the proportional increase of the tax is negligible... and yet will have a profound effect I'm sure.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest causes of plastic microbeads accumulating in the environment are tyres, apparently...

Coming soon.... cardboard tyres for your bike?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:43 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Disposable cup tax will do similar.

It could do, if done right. I have great confidence in the ability of gov.uk to mong it up somehow.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: Identify problem.

Step 2: Tax the problem.

Step 3: Ignore the bawwing and boo-hooing and economy will fall on its head and unemployment will divide by zero.

Step 4: Wait for the incentive caused by the tax to lead to innovation.

Step 5: Producers can slowly move to the substitute, as and when they like. Original thing is available, just expensive and irritating.

Step 6: Receive bacon.

It's conceptually the same as when they banned CFC's or Tetraethyl lead... looking back on it now, it seemed like it was obvious, and that is happened over night.

Actually, everyone fought it, the economy was threatened with implosion and doom, and it took years of squabbling between countries to try and get everyone to toe the line.

And now we have excellent substitutes for both, or we innovated solutions to not require them in the first place... often cheaper and more efficient too.

Maybe not cardboard tyres, but rubber not laced with plastic microbeads would be good Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
It's conceptually the same as when they banned CFC's or Tetraethyl lead... looking back on it now, it seemed like it was obvious, and that is happened over night.

Yes and they replaced CFCs with HFC-134a or propane butane mixtures... this of course is completely harmless and not bad for other things right?

Sort of like electric cars. If you ignore the battery production, and energy needed to make the cars and disposal of old cars and where the electricity comes from to charge those batteries... then they are more environmentally friendly.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

Yes and they replaced CFCs with HFC-134a or propane butane mixtures... this of course is completely harmless and not bad for other things right?

Sort of like electric cars. If you ignore the battery production, and energy needed to make the cars and disposal of old cars and where the electricity comes from to charge those batteries... then they are more environmentally friendly.

Meh, ozone is repairing, electric cars are getting less shit…

Planned/perceived obsolescence of consumer electronics is a worse evil than electric cars.

Wait til the Pigouan taxes on petrol really start…

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Meh, ozone is repairing, electric cars are getting less shit…

Planned/perceived obsolescence of consumer electronics is a worse evil than electric cars.

Wait til the Pigouan taxes on petrol really start…

Me? I'm just going to buy a fuck ton of shares in lithium.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something but, if the plan behind the tax is to get rid of these items and not just another stealth tax, why not just ban said items so only eco friendly options are available?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something but, if the plan behind the tax is to get rid of these items and not just another stealth tax, why not just ban said items so only eco friendly options are available?

There aren't any viable options at the moment. There is polystreyrene, and a papercup with a plastic inner that for some reason hasn't taken off yet. The wax lined cups that everyone uses are very difficult to recycle (papermills won't take the pulp due to the wax mixed in) and have to be produced using non-recycled paper as they're in direct contact with a "food stuff". It's incredibly daft when you think about it.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
a papercup with a plastic inner that for some reason hasn't taken off yet.

Then surely a ban would change that.

The 25p tax wouldn't effect me as I don't tend to buy take out hot drinks. It's just the cynic in me thinks the government are just using the green cause as a way to raise more tax.

A ban as opposed to a tax where eco friendly alternatives exist is surely the most logical way to go, unless they're just after the extra tax.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 13 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
a papercup with a plastic inner that for some reason hasn't taken off yet.

Then surely a ban would change that.

The 25p tax wouldn't effect me as I don't tend to buy take out hot drinks. It's just the cynic in me thinks the government are just using the green cause as a way to raise more tax.

A ban as opposed to a tax where eco friendly alternatives exist is surely the most logical way to go, unless they're just after the extra tax.

Personally I think the tax is probably better than a ban in this case.

THe 'best' option, and the one the government presumably wants to encourage is the use of re-usable thermos type mugs. These are the lowest waste, and probably the best option.

The tax encourages the use of these items, but it also means that the time you get caught short without a suitable receptacle (commuting, nipping ot the office at lunch, airports or whatever) you can still buy a hot drink if you so desire.

Banning current cups might encourage more sustainable single use cups, but those are not as good as a re-usable, so you'd end up with obligatory 'green' single use cups (which will almost certainly be more expensive or more shit) and a tax to encourage re-usable cup use. It's a lose-lose.

Oh, and whilst they could just ban all single use cups, I don't want that, you probably don't want that, and Costa/Starbucks etc definitely won't be keen on changing their business model and losing customers either (after all, if you have to carry a thermos cup all the time if you want a hot drink, why not fill it at home?)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:47 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they said where this 25p tax is going? I have heard suggestions it will go towards taking the cups to one of the few recycle plants available but personally I can't see that as the effort to strip the mugs from the other waste will be difficult and expensive I would have thought.

Also, the 5p tax on bags might have reduced the usage, but where the 5p on the bags they do sell goes is up to the shop is it not, with no compulsion on them giving it to anyone. I'm sure starbucks/costas and the like will love that if it's the same rule for them.

Call me cynical, but when the bin men throw the black rubbish sacks into the back of their lorry, closely followed by the pink recyclable bags, all in the same place, I don't have the strongest feeling that they are going to be separated at the other end and my recycling habit takes another knock.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Also, the 5p tax on bags might have reduced the usage, but where the 5p on the bags they do sell goes is up to the shop is it not, with no compulsion on them giving it to anyone..

So cynical; it's all going to charity, of course.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/single-use-plastic-carrier-bags-why-were-introducing-the-charge/carrier-bags-why-theres-a-5p-charge#how-the-proceeds-are-being-used

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carrier-bag-charge-summary-of-data-in-england/single-use-plastic-carrier-bags-charge-data-in-england-for-2016-to-2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are being sarcastic 'arry, but

all

During the year from 7 April 2016 to 6 April 2017, almost two-thirds of retailers told us they gave over £66 million to good causes - amounting to 4 pence for every single-use bag sold by them.

So in the 66% of retailers that even bothered to respond, they are keeping at least a penny per bag back for themselves.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So in the 66% of retailers that even bothered to respond, they are keeping at least a penny per bag back for themselves.

I'd say that's acceptable as costs for administration and implementation.

Stuff businesses do costs money. It's like payroll where the government makes employers calculate the tax and national insurance owed and it also makes the employers collect it. Government demands employers do it but offer no incentive other than if you don't pay a bloke with a lump hammer will come round and perform surgery on your legs.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3