Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle vs Scooter around London with a suit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Motorcycle vs Scooter around London with a suit. Reply with quote

Have decided to return to 2 wheels, which I need for getting around London in all weather.

The trouble is I mostly need to get around London in a suit and/or get in and out of London in a suit and onto a plane at one of the 5 airports for work.

I need to think of a better method of getting myself in a suit and onto a bike (with adequate whether protection) or myself and a suitcase with my suit in it on a bike or I'll have to think about getting a scooter (I know, I know).

The main issue remains with the weather protection clothing, boots and helmet which I cannot take with me onto flights, since it makes everything that much heavier.

Having a top box/givi rack just doesn't seem so bad on a scooter but I can't seem to do it on a motorcycle and I do have a problem with fugly looking bikes (which appears to be just about all the modern bikes these days).

Do you guys have any ideas?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has to be a bike, get one with full luggage. Boots and overtrousers in one pannier, jacket in the other, helmet in the top box. I do that when using the bike fur customer meetings. My suit jacket folds loosely into thirds in a thin fabric cover into the top box whilst I'm riding.

Depending upon distance I sometimes pop into the nearest motorway services to my destination and change from jeans/overtrousers to suit trousers and overtrousers, to avoid riding all the way in my suit.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you'll be needing something acid and stab proof. Have you tried Army surplus?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with taxi, especially if you can stick it on expenses.

bassmastergen...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Ideally you'll be needing something acid and stab proof.

No need for a taxi, though, courtesy of a free ambulance to A&E when they've robbed your scooter.

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Taxi.

Cannot afford.

Quote:
I agree with taxi, especially if you can stick it on expenses.

Cannot afford

Quote:
Ideally you'll be needing something acid and stab proof. Have you tried Army surplus?

Have thought about it.

Is London really so bad for bikers and scooter crime? I do see plenty of them.

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
If it has to be a bike, get one with full luggage. Boots and overtrousers in one pannier, jacket in the other, helmet in the top box. I do that when using the bike fur customer meetings. My suit jacket folds loosely into thirds in a thin fabric cover into the top box whilst I'm riding.

Depending upon distance I sometimes pop into the nearest motorway services to my destination and change from jeans/overtrousers to suit trousers and overtrousers, to avoid riding all the way in my suit.

Not a bad shout, except for the side panniers. Which I can't deal with.

The ideal would be no top box and no panniers with some sort of other arrangement.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:

Please do let us know. We've had two off this forum bikejacked btw. No injuries luckily enough, and one had a tracker so
found his ride soon after... But there's a lot of it about.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
pfenig wrote:

Please do let us know. We've had two off this forum bikejacked btw. No injuries luckily enough, and one had a tracker so
found his ride soon after... But there's a lot of it about.

Almost got bike jacked in Bristol before in the city centre. Not everything is limited to london and luckily the lights changed it so I gunned the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try an NC700/750S, with the "tank" cubby and a big double-helmet fnar top box.

The good news is that nobody will want to steal it. The bad news is that's because you're riding an NC.

A midi scootay is really what you'd want for that purpose though. The Burgman 400, for example, is properly capacious and comfy, or you could try the Kwak J300 or the Kymco Downtown 300 (the J300 without the Japanese badge). Throw a Tucano Termoscud invalid blanket on you're protected from most of the weather so can get away with less protective gear.

Slightly less chance of being acid-stabbed than on the Vespa 300, but I'd put a Bikejet™ on the bars to wash away those melting eyeball tears anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Almost got bike jacked in Bristol before in the city centre. Not everything is limited to london and luckily the lights changed it so I gunned the bike.

Oh I know it's bad in town here as well, as a proud, garage queen owning, weekend warrior I only ride for pleasure
and there's more than enough "not Bristol" anywhere South of here, so I don't really bother with the city. Nearest I get is
Fowlers when I want something doing to the Spacker. Looking for something to link the scoot crime/bikejacking
hotspots. It seems most common anywhere the mantra 'Diversity is our strength' is rammed down our throats by our
know-betters, draw your own conclusions. Thinking BTW the baklaffs like a maxi scoot, a two seater that will reliably do 90
odd (when chased by the feds)and accelerate well, coupled with the ease of use of a 50cc twist and go. Plenty of room
under the seat for an 18v angle grinder and a machete. Very popular bikes. Thumbs Up

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Oh I know it's bad in town here as well, as a proud, garage queen owning, weekend warrior I only ride for pleasure
and there's more than enough "not Bristol" anywhere South of here, so I don't really bother with the city. Nearest I get is
Fowlers when I want something doing to the Spacker. Looking for something to link the scoot crime/bikejacking
hotspots. It seems most common anywhere the mantra 'Diversity is our strength' is rammed down our throats by our
know-betters, draw your own conclusions. Thinking BTW the baklaffs like a maxi scoot, a two seater that will reliably do 90
odd (when chased by the feds)and accelerate well, coupled with the ease of use of a 50cc twist and go. Plenty of room
under the seat for an 18v angle grinder and a machete. Very popular bikes. Thumbs Up

Thing Is i was by premier inn and the guy blatantly walked up to me and tried to get me off the bike. Luckily he had no weapons and this was on an ER5.

I've got a friend that's just started riding and he uses an oxford chain. Still waiting for the message can you keep an eye out for my bike.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:50 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle vs Scooter around London with a suit. Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:
Have decided to return to 2 wheels, which I need for getting around London in all weather.

The trouble is I mostly need to get around London in a suit and/or get in and out of London in a suit and onto a plane at one of the 5 airports for work.

I need to think of a better method of getting myself in a suit and onto a bike (with adequate whether protection) or myself and a suitcase with my suit in it on a bike or I'll have to think about getting a scooter (I know, I know).

The main issue remains with the weather protection clothing, boots and helmet which I cannot take with me onto flights, since it makes everything that much heavier.

Having a top box/givi rack just doesn't seem so bad on a scooter but I can't seem to do it on a motorcycle and I do have a problem with fugly looking bikes (which appears to be just about all the modern bikes these days).

Do you guys have any ideas?

Maybe have a look at the honda X-adv?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try an NC700/750S, with the "tank" cubby and a big double-helmet fnar top box.

This is a good idea except for they are all fugly bikes, no way I want to pay for them.

The dream would be to run a Kawa W650 in London, except I fear it will get nicked.

..and if they are nicking everything left right and centre it seems I have to go back to a GPZ 500, that or the turd I loved which was the CB350S-G (I laugh when people today call them classics).

Another side of me wants to just get a tatty high mileage street fighter like a Kawa GPZ900R (a great looker), always had a penchant for Kawa bikes.

Quote:
Slightly less chance of being acid-stabbed

I was going to say a 3/4 helmet maybe the solution to take it on a flight. Seems like acid proof I need a full helmet, so I may have to just settle for a top box on whatever I choose.

Thinking about how to stab proof now!

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:32 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this one of those threads where the OP introduces a problem with no real solution and then rejects every realistic option they're given?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:
Thinking about how to stab proof now!

To be fairly certain of keeping all your blood inside your body.

https://www.enterprise.com/content/dam/global-vehicle-images/cars/HYUN_ELAT_2012-2.png.wrend.480.270.png

Joking aside, don't forget your bike will need to be 57 plate or newer, or the Caliph of London will rob you £10 every day instead.
He's busy making sure the scumbags don't have to nick old shitty bikes, that's nice of him eh?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Is this one of those threads where the OP introduces a problem with no real solution and then rejects every realistic option they're given?

You looking for a fite?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Thing Is i was by premier inn and the guy blatantly walked up to me and tried to get me off the bike. Luckily he had no weapons and this was on an ER5.

Was he from the Salvation Army? That might be like trying to get you off the meths.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could go for a C1 Sick

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ0QRN36-WNNbq-0nj5gh-DVy0_5WbvzLbe7Un8fQfiPu6Q2RR

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

It's one where the OP is grateful for the input and seeks a better solution.

Quote:
I suppose you could go for a C1

I was actually thinking of this bike! But then if I recall correctly they can't use motorcycle bays in London!

Quote:
Joking aside, don't forget your bike will need to be 57 plate or newer, or the Caliph of London will rob you £10 every day instead. He's busy making sure the scumbags don't have to nick old shitty bikes, that's nice of him eh?

Good lord! Is this in effect? What a total idiot that man is.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfenig wrote:

I was actually thinking of this bike! But then if I recall correctly they can't use motorcycle bays in London!

Is that right? Just because it has a roof then?

I've seen the 3 wheeled Piaggios in bike bays and they have a larger footprint I would guess.

pfenig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen the 3 wheeled Piaggios in bike bays and they have a larger footprint I would guess.

This maybe the solution, not sure I can live with myself but it appears to tick all the boxes, including the most annoying Caliph's box.

What a cretin that man is, ruined my riding a GPZ900R in town.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Try riding one without a lid and see how far you get before the blue lights. Double standards.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:54 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

No, that's not right. It's a motorcycle for all intents and purposes, including wearing a helmet.

ULEZ is supposed to be Euro3 bikes onwards, but there's been all sorts of weird results when folk have checked. Try:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

Subject to change, etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2