Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Classic movies *hic*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Classic movies *hic* Reply with quote

I've just spent the last hour or so trying to explain "I'm a shakin' it boss" to a friend.... who's the same age as me Confused

So this is just a random (drunken) post about classic movies that you could watch over and over again without getting bored (and looking for some recommendations).

OK not all before my time, but still classics in my book: Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Crossroads (very recently watched), The Graduate, Rain Man, Empire of The Sun, Platoon (was never really into war movies)....

*hic*, as you were, nothing to see here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:06 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Being John Malkovich this evening and it was better than I remembered, although it's probably not old enough to be a classic. I agree about Shawshank (probably my fav' film), I remember Rain man being good but not sure if I could watch it over (and over). Forest Gump I've always enjoyed when its been on.

So what film is your reference from? Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the old Spaghetti westerns, all films with inspector Callahan in, and Mad Max for a start. Jaws, 48 hours, vanishing point, Bullet maybe also?

There are some classic good war films, but you have to be in the right mood to watch them, and you probably wouldn't want to watch a cluster of war films back to back.

Thing I like most about Dirty Harry is that the scenes are shot in a far simpler less complicated USA. You had whites, blacks and a few orientals and Italian's, and that's it. The crimes were pretty conventional and everything just seems like normal city life with a few problems and gang issues, but alot of law abiding masses too.

Basically a simpler nicer America, and well before the days of Islamics blowing themselves up or crashing planes into buildings, and school kids flipping out and shooting all their class mates etc.

Would have probably liked to visit most US city's in those pre fucked up days, and Also seeing things at the height of organised crime by the big Five families too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

another old western fan

even the john wayne films I will watch time and time again

watcher the enforcer the other night as I had never seen that one before
was enjoyable

personal favourites of mine are (in no order)
the crow
full metal jacket
any smoky and the bandit films
cannonball run 1 or 2

also have a thing for 80s tv programmes like knight rider airwolf etc

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really got into the old westerns, unfortunately I was brainwashed with 80's horror movies (which has spoiled anything since 2000).

I thought Bullitt was boring and over rated tbh

Most of the films listed I've seen.... and forgotten about, so might go on a downloading spree Very Happy

M.C - it was a scene from Cool Hand Luke

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more in favour of even older films, Ice Cold in Alex, , A Matter of Life and Death, Oh Mr Porter and my all time favourite, The Runaway Bus, which is only available as a really bad DVD with a missing 10 minute scene. I had it videoed off the telly many years ago and it was crystal clear in comparison.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great escape
Zulu
The Italian job

Watch those again and again when they come on the telly.

Escape to victory and most Bond films are not quite in the same class but I’ll usually put them on if I notice.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

M.C - it was a scene from Cool Hand Luke

"What we have here, is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So we get what we had here today. Which is how he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men."

Did I remember that right? Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

syl wrote:
The great escape
Zulu
The Italian job

Watch those again and again when they come on the telly.

Escape to victory and most Bond films are not quite in the same class but I’ll usually put them on if I notice.

Lol! I used to complain so much when they put those three on every Christmas, but actually found myself wishing they had been on this year Laughing

Bond films you can always catch up with on ITVBond - seem to be about the only movies they show Rolling Eyes

The Man Who Would Be King - brilliant story by a brilliant writer, with two great British actors. Or maybe three...
Donnie Brasco - maybe too soon, but I think destined for classic status on the basis of Pacino's performance.
Heat. As above, but DeNiro and Pacino on top form.
The Godfather 1 & 2.
Enter The Dragon - coming out of the cinema as the world's greatest martial artist Laughing

What was the one with Michael Caine and Lawrence Olivier...Sleuth, that's the one.

Kelly's Heroes. "Will you knock it off with them negative waves, man!" I dedicate this to M.C - a glass half empty if ever I saw one Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:07 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellys Heroes - To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

12 Angry Men - Classic jury room drama

Aliens - I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:

Aliens - I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Always thought that was a classic suspense movie, only let down by the fact that you saw the Alien for what they always are at the end - a bloke in a costume. EDIT: Oh, you're talking about the second one aren't you? I'd nominate the first.

Saving Private Ryan. I actually prefer Band of Brothers, but that's a mini series, so doesn't qualify. But these changed the way war movies should have been made. I say "should have been", cos then Brad Pitt came out with that bollocks called "Fury" Rolling Eyes

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:24 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 15 my dad gave me a bunch of old films to watch, that he watched when he was younger. Ones which stood out were: A Clockwork Orange, The Wanderers and Enter the Dragon.
All really good movies.

Enter the Dragon sparked my love for Bruce Lee, then Hong Kong movies generally and now Asian movies as a whole.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
and Mad Max

The first one, yes.
"Oh my God, what happened?"
"I dunno man, I just got here myself!" Laughing

The Song Remains The Same Very Happy

Oh, and on the subject of music movies, The Last Waltz.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

syl wrote:
The great escape
Zulu
The Italian job

Never seen Zulu, and I made it to my mid 30's before finally seeing the great escape. I tried to watch the godfather, but just found it boring so switched it off after an hour or so.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

Enter the Dragon sparked my love for Bruce Lee, then Hong Kong movies generally and now Asian movies as a whole.

I watched it again after years recently, thinking I'd be disappointed now. But I wasn't (especially as they showed the uncut Nunchaku scene). Lee has a real 'presence' in that movie.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Never seen Zulu

Folded arms Not possible.

Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Thomas Crown Affair with Sean Connery is a good old classic worth a second watch.
As someone already mentioned Zulu, Thumbs Up

What about my favourite old film , Get Carter, I never tire of watching that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:48 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the number of lines quotable in conversation in a movie is a measure of it's worthiness. Pulp Fiction has to be up there near the top.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get bored of watching Finding Nemo.

pepperami wrote:
The original Thomas Crown Affair with Sean Connery is a good old classic worth a second watch.

I preferred the one with Steve McQueen.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If the number of lines quotable in conversation in a movie is a measure of it's worthiness. Pulp Fiction has to be up there near the top.

In that case I give you the original The Producers, by Mel Brooks (1967)

Ze Furhrer was a terrific dancer.
Don't be stupid, be a smartie, come and join the nazi party.
I'm wearing a cardboard belt.
You will see little of me in the coming days.
You've ruined me, you lousy fruit.
Hold me, touch me.

None of you girls has mentioned Gone With the Wind, neither. As God is my witness............ I am disappoint. Crying or Very sad

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schindler's list.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I never get bored of watching Finding Nemo.

pepperami wrote:

I preferred the one with Steve McQueen.

Doh! Doh! yes that one Embarassed

Of course I could of been thinking about the Anderson Tapes?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find a pity is that my kids (in their 20s; and I'm sure they aren't unusual) all refuse point-blank to watch any films at all which were made in black-and-white, instantly ruling out loads of the old classics like Psycho (and many of the other Hitchcocks), Casablanca (and most contemporary WWII films), and all the 'golden age of Hollywood' stuff. When I was their age there were only 4 TV channels and no method of recording and/or watching films at home other than on live TV (hard to believe eh?) , and the 'midnight movie' was always a thing to watch. There was always an old B&W film to watch - the 1930s Bogart/Edward G Robinson/Jimmy Cagney gangster movies were always my thing as a teenager - and I saw loads of them.

But nowadays the kids' reaction is 'why would I want to watch that boring old crap in black-and-white when I can choose from a thousand recent films on cable TV, Netflix or DVD, all in glorious colour HD? Progress, I suppose Confused

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the most recognisable lines from some of my favourite old films:

* I made him an offer he can't refuse.
* We are extremely hot chicks and we will give you oral pleasure.
* Red's dead, baby. Red's dead.
* Son, you got a panty on your head.
* You're gonna need a bigger boat.
* That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.
* How come I get to be Mister Pink.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:19 - 15 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Here are the most recognisable lines from some of my favourite old films:

* I made him an offer he can't refuse.
* We are extremely hot chicks and we will give you oral pleasure.
* Red's dead, baby. Red's dead.
* Son, you got a panty on your head.
* You're gonna need a bigger boat.
* That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword.
* How come I get to be Mister Pink.

Do you mean Zed?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2