Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Jacket/trouser zip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Jacket/trouser zip Reply with quote

I have yet to buy a jacket and trousers with a matching zip. Currently using A* jacket and Spada trousers.

It has taken me a couple hours to fit, but an alternative I have used velcro. It works very well.

Self adhesive velcro is not adequate, and is a pita if you try to sew it, as the glue will stick to needle and thread.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Jacket/trouser zip Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I have yet to buy a jacket and trousers with a matching zip. Currently using A* jacket and Spada trousers.

It has taken me a couple hours to fit, but an alternative I have used velcro. It works very well.

Self adhesive velcro is not adequate, and is a pita if you try to sew it, as the glue will stick to needle and thread.

The glue will also melt in heat and spread and make a right mess and be near impossible to remove... Dont use glued velcro AT ALL....

As for zips, Ive seen strips with zippers sold on ebay. Im sure you can sow them onto the jacket and trousers...

My shitty jacket and trousers had matching zipper... And two separate generic bits of kit. Maybe they came from the same chinese factory :p

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Jacket/trouser zip Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
It works very well.

I don't think velcro holds the 2 together when sliding down the road.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when you buy a jacket or trousers that have attachment zips, they come with the matching other side of the zip. If you want them to zip together, have one or the other matching zip sewn on by a competent tailor.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that won't do shit sliding along your back. The whole point is that your jacket doesn't ride up and end up with you needing a skin graft.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
have one or the other matching zip sewn on by a competent tailor.

Is the next best option post buying your gear and realising zipping them together is a thing.

Alternatively, mind, you could see if A* do their own belt, like RST, that's designed to be used on kevlar jeans, and alike, so you can ride during summer without feeling further compromised etc etc.

RST's version:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/103770

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
you could see if A* do their own belt, like RST, that's designed to be used on kevlar jeans, and alike

Yeah, I've got an IXS version of that. It's sort-of OK - well it is now, anyway - the trouble is that the rectangular cut-outs in the belt need to correspond to the belt loops on your jeans, or at least enough of them. That certainly wasn't the case with my belt, and I ended up having to get three hanger loops moved on my jeans, or they were (a) quite uncomfortable and (b) wouldn't have done the job in a fruitbat versus tarmac scenario.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 09:06 - 22 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately one of the chaps in my motorcycle club is very handy with all things that need sewing or repairing, and can sew leather.

He took my 2 piece leathers out when I put weight on, and back in when I lost weight. Replaced a zip in my belstaff jacket for free, just took a zip out an old leather jacket he had.

He even made his own leathers from scratch, from some hide he bought.

My own attempts at replacing the velcro cuff fastenings on my textile jacket were pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy something like that https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Chunky-Plastic-Teeth-Zip-Heavy-Duty-Zipper-Open-End-Various-Lengths/161343241919?hash=item2590ce7ebf:m:mtXlm68NTun7oEjLdZ58UcQ and replace the existing zips.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

He even made his own leathers from scratch, from some hide he bought.

Tan suede gimp suit? Ooh, suits you sir.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro is as strong as a zip when the force is parallel and not a peeling action. It will be fine for sliding around on my arse next time I fall off. The threads will let go before the hooks. I am using 6lb fishing braid.

Zips are not that great, they do not like being pulled apart, and easy come apart when worn.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in an oxygen rich environment Velcro is highly flammable.

So, erm, don't be an astronaut I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Velcro is as strong as a zip when the force is parallel and not a peeling action.

Well yes but...

First, the strength of Velcro relies on the two strips being properly aligned along their length, because any overlap, and therefore reduction in the contact area, will correspondingly reduce the strength of the bond. And that's especially not ideal when the strips are behind you out of sight, and you are relying on feel to make sure they are connected right. Plus of course, as you can't see it, you need to remember to check!

Second, velcro is only really reliable when it's clean and debris-free. I know this because the velcro tabs at the bottom of my riding trousers attract moulted dog hairs like crazy, and they are pretty useless unless I can be bothered to regularly pick all the crap out.

Not saying Velcro won't do the job, but it's certainly not a no-brainer and it's a zipper for me any day!

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Velcro is as strong as a zip when the force is parallel and not a peeling action.

A peeling action is exactly what you'll get when sliding along the road in a direction perpendicular to the join.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1