Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Home insurance woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Home insurance woes Reply with quote

It sounds like a pipe has bust under my dining room :/ I noticed an odd hissing last night and on further investigation could also hear dripping in to a pool under the floor (there is a 2.5 foot void).

We have engineered flooring fitted and it runs under all the skirting and through rooms so its not easy to pull up. I checked my policy and we have track and trace cover for water leaks so I though happy days I will call them up and sort out a claim.

As usual with insurance for me the problems started near straight away, Santander logged the claim and said the under writers were Ageas and I could call them to chase in 2 hours but they should be in contact in 48 hours. 3 hours later I call them and they tell me that I have no policy with Ageas and I will need to speak to Santander. Another 90 mins on the phone and I am back through to Ageas who say that as I cant see any damage yet I don't have a claim to make. They do not cover plumbing but if I do find damage when I find the leak I can them make a claim for the track and trace....

So now.. Do I take up the skirting/flooring/floorboards myself and get a plumber in to fix the pipe. This will I guess leave all of the make good to me. Or do I get a plumber in to do the lot then if there is damage then the insurance co will cover the make good. The only point being if there is not damage then there is no claim so I get stumped with a bigger bill.

I cannot see through the floor so I dont know what damage there is...

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its gets worse its you thats gonna suffer not the other person on the phone.
Id do whatever i could to get it sorted asap as leaking water can cause hell in a house!

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is off at the moment so not getting worse as such but with two kids and the wife that is not something that can continue..

But yeah maybe its time I started pulling boards up Sad

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:39 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefully pull the floor up yourself and get the leak sorted.

We had a whole new heating system installed then all brand new flooring put down throughout then noticed a small leak. I got the plumber out and we had to pull up a number of carpets and new vinyl flooring to trace it. but this was the best thing we did as we found it in some of the old hot water pipework and resolved it - relaid the flooring and dried out the wall where the leak showed before painting back over it. It cost relatively little to sort all these things out and I am in a first floor flat - this could have been a lot worse had i let it go on for the sake of a few quid to a plumber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:58 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll pay for a track and trace if it tracks and traces a leak, but not if it doesn't?

Hissing and dripping? How can there not be a leak? Get a plumber out to take up the floor. Tell them up front that the insurer will pay for track and trace only, and they'll fiddle the bill accordingly - or at least mine did.

Take plenty of pictures of the work. Once you've got a claim in, they are likely to send an assessor out.

Curiously, my last policy from the same insurer covers plumbing work but not track-and-trace. At a wild guess, they discovered that all customer invoices were for 2 hours of T&T and 30 seconds of plumbing work. Whistle

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:00 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
They'll pay for a track and trace if it tracks and traces a leak, but not if it doesn't?

They said on the phone if there is visible damage they will pay but if there is not they class it as maintenance and its not covered.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:15 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it say on your contract?

Fact is, you need to get it sorted, and your first problem is going to be finding a plumber who will actually show up at all, so I'd suggest you get calling ASAP. I went through half a dozen before I lucked out with one who actually wanted the work.

He knew exactly how much my insurer would pay, and how to produce the invoice. Probably scalped himself 4 figures over the private cash-in-hand cost, but given the antipathy that I also experienced from my insurer, I was happy to help him help me to screw them.

So I'd have no hesitation in pouring a jug of water on the carpet, taking a picture, then getting stuck into the floorboards. You can always lay them down and encourage the plumber bill the bulk of the work to "track and trace".

Corrvpt scvm, etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:20 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect that if you don't do the necessary "maintenance" now then they'll be unwilling to pay for damage which wouldn't have happened if you fix it now.

I'd start carefully pulling up floorboards to inspect the damage so that you can phone the insurance company back ASAP and report the damage to them.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What does it say on your contract?

Corrvpt scvm, etc.

The contract will be:
Tracing and accessing leaks
If the buildings are damaged due to water escaping from
water tanks, pipes, equipment or fixed heating systems in
the home, we will pay the reasonable cost of removing
and replacing any other part of the buildings necessary
to find the source of the leak and making good.

So they're entirely right. It's the standard way the cover is written.

If you don't know there is damage to the buildings at this point, then just ensure there is when the plumber / builder gets everything apart Wink There doesn't need to be much, just Damage as a result of escape of water.

At which point:
1) The cost of ripping up and relaying the floor is covered under trace and access. Make sure the builder segregates that expenditure on the bill.
2) The cost of fixing the small amount of damage is covered under your Buildings policy; subject to your excess (note that Damage doesn't have to exceed the excess in order to classed as Damage under the wording).
3) The cost of fixing the leak is down to you.

They're right; sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:59 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, most important: insist on the plumber accepting Bitcoin.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:08 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that fitted the floor and also fits bathrooms is popping round. He is a good chap so hopefully can help me out.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
The guy that fitted the floor and also fits bathrooms is popping round. He is a good chap so hopefully can help me out.

All you need is a soggy bit of plasterboard, skirting etc which needs replaced, then the trace and access claim is valid.

As an aside, if you were to get it all apart and no damage has occurred, then that's what the Home Emergency covers would pick up.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Home insurance woes Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

So now.. Do I take up the skirting/flooring/floorboards myself

That would of been my first course of action, rather than posting the internet. Not that that helps you.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:23 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some poking and prodding and pulling off one bit of skirting we got a bit more visibility of the pipe in question. Water was running down it from above floor level indicating that the leak was actually up in the wall not under the floor... few..

The flooring/handy/plumber guy said basically if I can get to it he will pop round tonight to fix it. After some fun with a crow bar I have found the leak.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7hd6dTklXFkcF2LUiCzMgdOlbsB54ASnUR5KLBF3lym6_75miPKWx0EgxGAd5Pd1sEe5BpPOh6LplM8wylDF1h8R-I1ELK8ERUkSAh4IPoSsZ5b6PpFM6f9Sl00NxE-hLSNYz2Y2FDv8ZD0Nwdz0g1BJH9Pfnxxe6FSz9mbfoJH6Pw6j2xTfKGFoVAFhbna9M0gro33xYwq2neblVFimC4AoYsD1bQiogGMaYUyW9hBbl3c8yws4rULbUYTff6nYJR5y5SaJ7qAy7l7-RynEgCqWp4tG9OrHMquavvwU-bYd8WNQu4_c0aSnfwHteh6Vl65Q7o1rvx8fSOYvAEbUgkgrAW1sF-0HhS9ZpFvpW0h6eFR1W2I4HpXtIFmkCuB3ZMSQ6jEOcKWO7XDB4RP75Q6WX8JFhb-OngDWo00R9AOqlW19zuhxZ2UeKMiya2SfiUZKLK5uafiH1ZsDjprhmI4Dtc9rHPDes9oI6JuPCRXbwihe5BjRQRxIXGdYMJcAwuK_gwvOKv00kgqw0cpTpShJIyNGhKaurKadaRBhkRrHb856FEqbDAY-oos0soWxl0otcgwxJnaGz-vLfDR5bjr_JIosxL8aZLrO2PiygFO6aDhEx1WG6igrguDYnYAE53KQba4UZt-JIZ8PcBxcpxVxNpXbqhq8XQ=w528-h703-no

Looks like no claim will be needed as I can get everything sorted for less than the excess will be, I still have the paint etc from when I decorated so should take me less than a day to get sorted.

Thanks all.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 153 days between these two posts...
Anna Graham This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Graham wrote:
It is hard to find a good plumber. I have issues with my en suite shower cabin for ages now.

I've watched lots of videos of plumbers helping women.
Who have you tried?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Anna Graham wrote:
It is hard to find a good plumber. I have issues with my en suite shower cabin for ages now.

I've watched lots of videos of plumbers helping women.
Who have you tried?

Don't trust this man. He means you no good.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1