Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 stuck for choice!!! (Sv650s vs cbr650f)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: A2 stuck for choice!!! (Sv650s vs cbr650f) Reply with quote

Hey, so my A2 is up and coming this year and I have my eyes on two particular bikes. I have done quite a bit of research and narrowed it down to two bikes. Firstly some background information, I am 6'3 and not too heavy and I have not sat on either of the bikes I shall now mention.

The choices I have are the sv650s and the cbr650f, I like both of these bikes and I plan to unrestrict my choice after a2 test is passed and the chosen bike is insured ( I know,I know...). I am not too fussed about the appearance of either bike because I personally think both are fine. I like the torque and sound of the v/twin but also the top end of the cbr. In terms of finances I am aware of the second hand sticker prices for both but if anyone could enlighten me on insurance differences that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the essay but I'm really stuck for choice, thank you to any responses.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:34 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither will set your world on fire, the CBR will be faster post passing your full test, however, it'll still be pretty meh.

You really need to sit on them, 6'3 is probably gonna give you some comfort issues on the CBR, the SV is roomy enough.

Another option is a Z900, thats a mix up between the 2, OK-ish power delivery ala SV with a decent chunk after upgrading your licence without licence losing speeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your current biking history?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Neither will set your world on fire, the CBR will be faster post passing your full test, however, it'll still be pretty meh.

You really need to sit on them, 6'3 is probably gonna give you some comfort issues on the CBR, the SV is roomy enough.

Another option is a Z900, thats a mix up between the 2, OK-ish power delivery ala SV with a decent chunk after upgrading your licence without licence losing speeds.

Thank you for the advice, I didn't know the z900 was a2 complient.

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
What's your current biking history?

I am coming up from cbt, I will have ridden for two years on a cbr125 when I take my test.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned a CBR 650f from new I can tell you that the components are not of a standard that Honda should produce. It is very prone to corrosion. It is a fun bike to ride, you get power low down which is really what you need. My later inline 4's need revving to death to get a thrill.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Mt09 *cough* Struan. go try one. I reckon you'll likey if you like a grunty bike.

There's a watered down Z900 35kw version. Basically remapped to be less good, it is reversible when you want to
go full fat though so there is that I suppose, which will put it up to 90 odd kw. If it wasn't upgradeable, then I'm not
sure I'd buy a 900+ cc bike that was A2 compliant. Can't see the point tbh, may as well spend less and go faster
on a Fazer 600 or similar.

Last edited by grr666 on 21:47 - 29 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, if you've never ridden a big bike, I'd advise you don't set your mind on anything just yet and just concentrate on getting your test out of the way. By the time you've been on the school bike for a while, you'll be able to objectively think about what you like and dislike about it, and then base your bike decision around that instead.

All the research in the world won't tell you what you'll find out in the real world.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:48 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitive wrote:
I didn't know the z900 was a2 complient.

You'd need the spacker edition that's factory limited to 70kW rather than the full power 90kW+ version.

Inquisitive wrote:
I like the torque and sound of the v/twin but also the top end of the cbr

Based on experience or supposition?

Also, are you planning to restrict it to 35kW, or "restrict" it?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 23:12 - 29 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
Inquisitive wrote:

You'd need the spacker edition that's factory limited to 70kW rather than the full power 90kW+ version.

Inquisitive wrote:
I like the torque and sound of the v/twin but also the top end of the cbr[/url]

Based on riding friends bikes in lower gears, they have also have an sv650 and then my other friend has an unrestricted er6f and the power band on that seems to be more focused on the mid to top end. Hence why i don't know where i really want the torque.

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:04 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
Inquisitive wrote:

Inquisitive wrote:
I like the torque and sound of the v/twin but also the top end of the cbr[/url]

"restrict" it...

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Having owned a CBR 650f from new I can tell you that the components are not of a standard that Honda should produce. It is very prone to corrosion. It is a fun bike to ride, you get power low down which is really what you need. My later inline 4's need revving to death to get a thrill.

thanks,that is part of my problem with getting an inline 4, but if it has low down power too then i guess it wouldn't be much of a problem?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
^^^ Mt09 *cough* Struan. go try one. I reckon you'll likey if you like a grunty bike.

There's a watered down Z900 35kw version. Basically remapped to be less good, it is reversible when you want to
go full fat though so there is that I suppose, which will put it up to 90 odd kw. If it wasn't upgradeable, then I'm not
sure I'd buy a 900+ cc bike that was A2 compliant. Can't see the point tbh, may as well spend less and go faster
on a Fazer 600 or similar.

I would like to try an MT07 and MT09. Glad I'm an old twat and don't have to worry about A2 and restricting bikes. It's like wearing a condom; Needs to be done but no one likes it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Sv650s vs cbr650f Reply with quote

S model sv is older engine than in current naked sv. The post 2016 sv (Gladys replacement) is good as an a2 bike as the ecu doesn't strangle it. For use on mod 1 it's no different in a2 form from standard. Only when you push hard through the gears do you notice the restriction. However, it may be a little cramped for anyone 6' plus.

Tl;dr a new model sv with a fairing 'should' be on the cards!

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:28 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Sv650s vs cbr650f Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
S model sv is older engine than in current naked sv. The post 2016 sv (Gladys replacement) is good as an a2 bike as the ecu doesn't strangle it. For use on mod 1 it's no different in a2 form from standard. Only when you push hard through the gears do you notice the restriction. However, it may be a little cramped for anyone 6' plus.

Tl;dr a new model sv with a fairing 'should' be on the cards!

it most certainly is on the cards, i guess the best thing to do now is actually go and sit on the bikes in question as others in this thread have also said.

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:42 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
In that case, if you've never ridden a big bike, I'd advise you don't set your mind on anything just yet and just concentrate on getting your test out of the way. By the time you've been on the school bike for a while, you'll be able to objectively think about what you like and dislike about it, and then base your bike decision around that instead.

All the research in the world won't tell you what you'll find out in the real world.

experienced words, thanks for the advice.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:44 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitive wrote:

Based on riding friends bikes in lower gears, they have also have an sv650 and then my other friend has an unrestricted er6f and the power band on that seems to be more focused on the mid to top end. Hence why i don't know where i really want the torque.

If you think the ER and the SV have power at the top end, I'd suggest sticking with a twin. You may be incredibly surprised with an inline four, even a CBR650F.

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:53 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Inquisitive wrote:

If you think the ER and the SV have power at the top end, I'd suggest sticking with a twin. You may be incredibly surprised with an inline four, even a CBR650F.

I felt the er did more so, the sv felt more linear but would go in any gear. To be expected when coming up from a 125, anyhow I agree with you, I've seen inline 4's kick in and I'd really have to be humbled on one before pushing it. Thank you for the advice.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend picking a 47bhp instead or one that is just a bit over and restrict for your licence. Whatever A2 compliant bike you pick won't feel much if any different after two years when you add another 20-25bhp by removing the restriction.

As Paddy said it'll be a bit Meh!

Plan on two bikes, one for now and one for the unrestricted licence. Its the only way that makes any sense.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:53 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's planning to "restrict", not restrict, so might as well go for 70kW.

Honestly, there's no right or wrong choice. I prefer twins over IL4s, people who are wrong have the opposite view.

Oh, Triumph apparently made a few 70kW 675 Street Triples, but you'd be hard pressed to find one, and I doubt it'd be comfy for you anyway.

Y U no V-Strom or Versys 650?

Inquisitive
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:51 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
OP's planning to "restrict", not restrict, so might as well go for 70kW.

Honestly, there's no right or wrong choice. I prefer twins over IL4s, people who are wrong have the opposite view.

Oh, Triumph apparently made a few 70kW 675 Street Triples, but you'd be hard pressed to find one, and I doubt it'd be comfy for you anyway.

Y U no V-Strom or Versys 650?

i'm torn between twins and il4, i love both and both sound great in my opinion. And i only don't like the V-strom and the Versys because it isn't my style of bike, even though i do not doubt that they are fantastic.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

like 'arry' has said - dont think too much about it (i feel that this has passed already however) until you have PASSED your test.

Many reasons - the main being added pressure to pass,

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - you've got days on a big bike coming up and it would seem silly to not use those to help form your decision making since it's going to give you more experience in the real world than anything you've managed before.

After that, pick a bike based on the characteristics you most liked, or at the very least don't pick one that has the things you didn't like. None of these decisions are the very end of the line for your biking career; you can change your mind at any time you wish afterwards once you've gained more experience. Variety is the chilli powder so they say.

I had a parallel twin as a starter bike because it was cheap and came from a friend as a known entity. Once I'd got bored of that and had a bit more cash, I had an IL4 because racebike. Thought at that point I'd never go back to a twin of any description and indeed I test rode an Aprilia Shiver which I loved the chassis of, but despised the engine delivery. Ruled out twins thereafter, and went for a Triple. Now I'm back on a twin as a main bike, which has absolutely none of the characteristics I would have wanted back in my early days. I've also got a single with barely 20 horsepower which if you'd have told me even 5 years ago I'd have, I would have laughed at you.

Mix it up, don't be afraid to change things. Get as much out of the variety as you can.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask if you can try the different bikes in the training schools fleet when you are doing the A2 so you get a feel for what you like and dont like. Good luck on passing! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1