Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc Baffle in or out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: 125cc Baffle in or out? Reply with quote

So, got a new exhaust for my Lexmoto adrenaline 125, it sounds much better with the baffle out but i think it might be a bit too loud for a little 125. What do you guys think of riding around with the baffle out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud 4t 125’s sound shit.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How loud can it actually be?

Unless you need ear plugs to ride it, I wouldn't worry about noise. Thumbs Up

One thing though, a baffle does give you more low and mid range torque. Easier to ride in stop/start traffic. The downside being worse performance at high revs, which on such small motorcycle is all you do, all day long, don't you?

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:07 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see someone on a 125 with a loud pipe, accelerating (slowly, as even at full throttle they are not quick), do you think cool dude or twat?

That is your answer.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

why remove the baffle in the first place??

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:12 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Unless you need ear plugs to ride it, I wouldn't worry about noise. Thumbs Up

One thing though, a baffle does give you more low and mid range torque. Easier to ride in stop/start traffic. The downside being worse performance at high revs, which on such small motorcycle is all you do, all day long, don't you?

Well yeah, i have to ride to dual carriageways to get anywhere important so im at high revs all day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what, Adengtg? Just take the baffle out, ride it around and when it gets annoying, just stick the baffle back in. Thumbs Up

*that, if it's removable, obviously.
**if it's not, buy a used can and cut that.

We all have been there. We all wanted our motorcycle, moped, scooter... to sound loud and mean because ''racing''. I had a fully open exhaust system on a GPz 550, just 4-1 headers and a piece of pipe, that was all. So loud, that I had to wear ear plugs. Was it fun? Yes! But with my next motorcycles I just didn't seek the noise anymore.

Just having a short blast with loud pipes in the middle of nowhere, feeling like a race rider with every blip of the throttle is fun, but riding like this every single day gets tiring sooner than you'd think.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Stupidly loud, it's all the rage for R125 heroes, so you look and it's just some virgin on L plates Rolling Eyes

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:41 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Know what, Adengtg? Just take the baffle out, ride it around and when it gets annoying, just stick the baffle back in. Thumbs Up

*that, if it's removable, obviously.
**if it's not, buy a used can and cut that.

We all have been there. We all wanted our motorcycle, moped, scooter... to sound loud and mean because ''racing''. I had a fully open exhaust system on a GPz 550, just 4-1 headers and a piece of pipe, that was all. So loud, that I had to wear ear plugs. Was it fun? Yes! But with my next motorcycles I just didn't seek the noise anymore.

Just having a short blast with loud pipes in the middle of nowhere, feeling like a race rider with every blip of the throttle is fun, but riding like this every single day gets tiring sooner than you'd think.

good thing is, i live in a small village so within 2 minutes i can be surrounded by fields in all directions. the end can only cost me £20 anyways, cheap ebay job : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38-51mm-Carbon-Fiber-Motorcycle-GP-Bike-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-Movable-Silencer-UK/132426252895?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Planning to get a proper lextek can and downpipe as well as levers, plastics and all the rest of it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the case, just take the baffle out and have some fun. When it gets annoying put it back in. Thumbs Up

By the way, if you're planing on getting the A2 or the open A licence, don't waste money on your current 125cc rocket. No one will pay extra for your used 125cc commuter just because it has some fancy levers and other stuff.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
If this is the case, just take the baffle out and have some fun. When it gets annoying put it back in. Thumbs Up

By the way, if you're planing on getting the A2 or the open A licence, don't waste money on your current 125cc rocket. No one will pay extra for your used 125cc commuter just because it has fancy levers and other stuff.

yeah, getting the A2 as soon as i can...
Well, current plastics are scratched and the levers are a bit worse for wear, not spending stupid money on them.

honestly i was thinking of keeping the bike and seeing about a big bore or engine swap of some kind for weekend greenlaning and getting a bigger bike for normal use

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:54 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Stupidly loud, it's all the rage for R125 heroes, so you look and it's just some virgin on L plates Rolling Eyes

yeah, even when i rev it as little as i can

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 16 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud pipes save lives, that's the free pass phrase you are looking for. Wink

125cc won't make much difference either way to power or torque.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Loud pipes save lives, that's the free pass phrase you are looking for. Wink

125cc won't make much difference either way to power or torque.

I wouldnt have thought so either. its just about the sound to me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that chav-can on my 250 because, lol, racebike. It's surprisingly functional for the price and gives a pleasant angry sewing machine noise when the baffle is in.

Taking it out produces excessive noise and less go.

Your mileage - and dB level - may vary, but I'd lean towards leaving it in.

Oh, and if you think a "proper Lextek" end can is going to be better quality, I'd brace yourself for disappointment. They just punt on cheap China-China-China gear.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:34 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Just take the baffle out and if it's too bad whack it back in again. I actually quite like the sound of loud 4T 125s. Reminds me of my old X-Sport pit bike from my yoof.

When I bought my R6 I kept the baffle in, it seemed ridiculous with it out. That lasted all of 2 days before I bought some ear plugs and went full asbo.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YBR has a LeoVince on it and even with the baffle in, it's loud. I'd actually prefer it wasn't.

Only reason I bought the exhaust was because it's stainless steel (I ride all through winter) and it was less than half the price of the Yammy original

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had straight throughs on a similar 157fmi engine. Suffolk Police took the bike off of me and gave me nearly £400 in fines and points ('not roadworthy', thus, insurance invalidated etc)

I let them keep the bike Razz
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:47 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
Suffolk Police [...] gave me nearly £400 in fines

No, they didn't.

Here we go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
When I bought my R6 I kept the baffle in, it seemed ridiculous with it out. That lasted all of 2 days before I bought some ear plugs and went full asbo.

Yeah see if you don't want to hear the noise then you can be sure other people don't. I'm all for loud bikes as long as they're naturally loud (from stock). De-catting or fitting loud pipes just seems a bit... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwH85gFOVVQ

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after market is ok if it's a decent pipe not a lashed up bodge, or a cut down shorty can etc.

A free flowing/straight through silencer does not have to be excessively loud to still provide maximum performance.

A thing with aftermarket silencers on small bikes (125's) is bore size. The cans are often superbike sized for looks and have a bigger bore diameter than is needed for performance. This just makes them very loud and farty.

Running a pipe with a removable baffle doesn't sit well with me. On a carbed bike the fueling can't be optimum for both baffle in and baffle out. If your going from a std pipe to a performance pipe, then it should always be rejetted to suit if you want to take all the gains on the table.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

in, always in, always.

unless 2 stroke dirt bike, in which case it's usually in a state of flux

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:57 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Lexmoto adrenaline 125,

It's a small displacement, four stroke single, in a pretty soft state of tune, for emissions.

Lets be honest here... it sounds like a lawn mower.....

With baffles, a quiet lawn mower....

Without baffles... an annoyingly loud lawn mower....

Either way, it still sounds like a lawn-mower.

The lad two doors down, believes that the open stubbied can he has fitted to his lexmoto makes it sound rorty like his uncles Harley.... probably suggests more that a Harley sounds like a loud lawn mower than anything, and doesn't really suggest that either sound particularly wonderful.... just loud.....

Your personal opinion on what it sounds like, however, will remain personal and subjective, whatever we say..... but, you will undoubtedly subject far more than just yourself to the noise and how much they may appreciate it is something you may or may not care to consider.

But..... blox to the 'Loud-Pipes-Save-Lives' contingent... They fit a HORN to motorcycles expressly for the purpose of alerting other road users to your presence..... and its far more effective at that, used strategically, than a pipe, making nasty noises constantly.....

Your call... but small plates and loud pipes are just dangling a 'tugg-me' sign to the local plod, and giving them an easy collar into the bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:30 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think after market is ok if it's a decent pipe not a lashed up bodge, or a cut down shorty can etc.

A free flowing/straight through silencer does not have to be excessively loud to still provide maximum performance.

A thing with aftermarket silencers on small bikes (125's) is bore size. The cans are often superbike sized for looks and have a bigger bore diameter than is needed for performance. This just makes them very loud and farty.

Running a pipe with a removable baffle doesn't sit well with me. On a carbed bike the fueling can't be optimum for both baffle in and baffle out. If your going from a std pipe to a performance pipe, then it should always be rejetted to suit if you want to take all the gains on the table.

pipe's the same, just the can ive changed. in the future i was thinking of getting a new downpipe with a 51mm outlet just for a new exhaust can but right now i'd say it was fine. its going for a service asap so they should let me know of any issues

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:32 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
adengtg wrote:
Lexmoto adrenaline 125,

It's a small displacement, four stroke single, in a pretty soft state of tune, for emissions.

Lets be honest here... it sounds like a lawn mower.....

With baffles, a quiet lawn mower....

Without baffles... an annoyingly loud lawn mower....

Either way, it still sounds like a lawn-mower.

The lad two doors down, believes that the open stubbied can he has fitted to his lexmoto makes it sound rorty like his uncles Harley.... probably suggests more that a Harley sounds like a loud lawn mower than anything, and doesn't really suggest that either sound particularly wonderful.... just loud.....

Your personal opinion on what it sounds like, however, will remain personal and subjective, whatever we say..... but, you will undoubtedly subject far more than just yourself to the noise and how much they may appreciate it is something you may or may not care to consider.

But..... blox to the 'Loud-Pipes-Save-Lives' contingent... They fit a HORN to motorcycles expressly for the purpose of alerting other road users to your presence..... and its far more effective at that, used strategically, than a pipe, making nasty noises constantly.....

Your call... but small plates and loud pipes are just dangling a 'tugg-me' sign to the local plod, and giving them an easy collar into the bargain.

Personally, i don't like single cylinders of any size but hey, itseither try to make it sound as good as i can or buy a varadero V-twin until i pass my A2
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2