Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has anyone ever been blown off their bike by the wind

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Has anyone ever been blown off their bike by the wind Reply with quote

I thought I was a goner yesterday when I was going over the a12 flyover near Homerton Road in Stratford.

Does this ever actually happen?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does. Even in cars. Wink
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Well years ago I once got managed to get blown off by a gust while stationary... a really windy day, I was riding under a footbridge between two tall buildings which was notorious for being like a wind tunnel, and I decided to stop to turn round. Despite a foot firmly on the ground I just couldn't hold it - BAM! not embarrassing at all.

Bodyguard wrote:
There's a technique for riding in high winds

Is that the Dutch 'flapping knee' technique then??

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:06 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanna try the Dartford Crossing, mate.
Balls of steel.

Trying to think of "the A12 Flyover near Homerton Road" ... Thinking
I'm a bit rubbish in that area Rolling Eyes

Edit:

Ed. Ohhhhhh, the Eastway.
I'm definitely rubbish in that area. I still can't work out how it works. I was coming back into town from Wanstead the other day, and went round it, and ended up round the back of Leyton Orient. FFS Rolling Eyes
I cannot work it out at all. I'm great at getting on at Tredegar Road and zooming across all the lanes to avoid getting jammed up at the Bow sliproad, but Eastway/Hackney Wick completely befuddles me every time. How does one get to Fish Village or whatever the fuck its called. I went there once. It was like another planet. (I quite liked it ... Shifty ) but I can't work out how to get back there Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evo8dIXoOc4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot easier with heavier bikes, the VFR is virtually immune to wind. What it does do though is even though you're not getting blasted around like a pinball you do feel like the handling has gone all weird (which technically it has)

I used to hate riding a 125 living out in the country on windy days, fighting not to get blown into an oncoming hgv then getting pushed over when it passes.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:20 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are much more likely to get blown off whilst stationary, rather than moving, especially if your bike is loaded up with touring gear.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would need to be bad to literally blow you over.
A greater risk is being buffeted off course towards vehicles as they briefly shield you, or sudden wind/no wind when passing structures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I'm most at risk from gusts at traffic lights. Scariest moment, however, was crossing the Humber Bridge, often windy and closed for high winds, this day it wasn't. The trick as eluded to above, is to just lean in and you are fine, however going between the great big stanchions you were suddenly in 'dead' air and no wind, I literally flew in the direction I was leaning. Then dramatically back the other way as I came out again.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:31 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too+++.

Never while riding. Lean into it or stick your knee out.

A few nearly-downs when stationary in urban canyons. This is why I lolol at fair weather heroes who assert that you don't need to be able to get a foot securely down.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
How does one get to Fish Village or whatever the fuck its called. I went there once. It was like another planet. (I quite liked it ... Shifty ) but I can't work out how to get back there Laughing
Fish Island? The best way there is to keep going on Tredegar Road which is actually Wick Lane when you are on the bridge over the A12. Instead of turning off for the A12, carry on, go past the petrol station, right at the next roundabout and then right at the next lights. This will bring you straight to another small roundabout, you can go straight over or right, both work.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:28 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had many squeaky bum moments going over Rannoch Moor, especially where you pass Glen Etive. I've landed up on the wrong side of the road but never physically come off.

My GPZ500 was the worst in the wind, it seemed to push more against the bottom of the bike than the top, effectively making it turn into the wind. Very tricky to control.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been blown off a few times, but not in the way OP is asking. Shifty Dance!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, never actually blown off, but had a few scary moments. Once, whilst riding on the inside lane on a motorway that was pretty empty, at speed, the bike was picked clean up off both wheels and unceremoniously dumped in the outside lane by a gust. Never have I rolled a throttle off so quickly. Battled strong winds in heavy rain many times. Another memorable occasion was riding from Guernsey back to London on a bike I had just bought. Late at night, was on the M25, nothing but lorries on the road, adding further buffeting, I got home exhausted from fighting with it for hours.

Rogerborg wrote:
This is why I lolol at fair weather heroes

Et tu, Brute? Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:03 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My GPZ500 was the worst in the wind, it seemed to push more against the bottom of the bike than the top, effectively making it turn into the wind. Very tricky to control.

Huh, yes. I bailed out of attempting BCF BBQ 2012 after setting off in the tail end of a tropical storm on mine.

Apart from the side-to-side, gusts from behind seemed to be lifting the front end and making it go sphincter-clenchingly light. Did not want.

My Enfield seems remarkably stable in side winds, due to being heavy and mostly not there. Other people report the opposite though. It's a funny old thing, human perception.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:06 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever been blown off their bike by the wind Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I thought I was a goner yesterday when I was going over the a12 flyover near Homerton Road in Stratford.

Back on my 125 it used to shift me around on that same flyover quite a bit. On the 650 I'm fine. The left hander into the tunnel makes me happy.

I know of someone who's come off due to the wind and broke his back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: I was about to say that took longer than I expected..... Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

But that would probably be mid interpreted too.

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely what is happening is the wind is blowing your torso around a bit, and your arms transfer the movement to the bars, which makes the bike wobble, which scares you so you grip the bars harder which exacerbates the effect in a positive feedback loop.

Grip the bike with your knees, keep your arms loose, and you'll see very little effect from the wind on the bike's course.

If it was windy enough to actually blow a bike over it'd be so windy you'd have trouble walking in it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

My Enfield seems remarkably stable in side winds, due to being heavy and mostly not there. Other people report the opposite though. It's a funny old thing, human perception.

I did a 5 hour stint up the A7 to Edinburgh, across to Sterling then across to Tarbet, over the rest and be thankful and down the Kyle of Bute in a named storm a couple of months back. It felt like I'd been kicked down a couple of flights of stairs when I arrived. Had to slow right down at some points but it was VERY windy.

It doesn't get really interesting until you put a trailer on.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest I came was on the CB250RS; was on a raised road in high wind coming from the right, and was leaning into it. Then passed a lorry coming the other way so there was suddenly an initial push to the left followed by a lack of wind. That had me veering right towards said lorry so sat up again, after which the lorry had now passed and caught the wind again and went sailing off to the left towards the ditch.

Only took a second, but it filled my pants Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

You said we could just draw a line under it and move on...

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:36 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossing the Medway on the m2...
as eifion said its best to relax.

I think many problems arise from people over compensating as a knee jerk reaction.
i tend to let the bike move as it wants too while easing it back towards the middle of the lane.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been blown off course but not off the bike.

Back when I was touring scotland we were on our way to john o'groats and a hurricane had hit the coast. We were getting gusts of 80+ mph (less where we were but still quite bad). 2 boats were capsized in the harbour.

At times I was riding leaning off to keep going straight, other times a gust would hit and I'd be sent right across the road. Thankfully no other crazy people were out in it to worry about.

Was fun in a weird, we might die, kinda way.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when I had my Cg125 came up to a set of three mini roundabouts on a very local busy road. Now normally these wouldn't be a problem but it was extremely windy and the whole place is like a wind tunnel. Each roundabout I was almost blown over unfortunately I had to stop at each one. When I started moving again it felt like I was riding a push bike again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2