Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprillia RS125 2008 Starting Issue - Relay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Jan 2018    Post subject: Aprillia RS125 2008 Starting Issue - Relay? Reply with quote

So Storm Elanor threw my bike to the floor and so my right indicators started to blink fast (the side it fell on(also emptied out my £14 2 stroke oil)), after a few days i went to clean, tighten and lube the chain and with the wrong paddock stand for the bike the bike ended up falling to the floor on the same side (did no damage), it held the bike for a good few hours but when it was time to put the wheel back on it fell. Now both of my indicators are blinking fast and the starter button makes a clicking sound, also my starter button only works when its full lock to the left but that just may be a wiring issue by the starter button, may not have enough solder.

Heres the video of the starter button.
https://youtu.be/vPYzqawa7h8

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:44 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to work and my bike shut itself down, thought that was weird and thought i ran out of fuel, checked mt fuel and oil and its all good. Leaving work and get on the bike to bump start, it starts and then goes down. Then i tried to bunp start again and it wouldnt so it anymore. Even got up 10mph nothing. Starter relay needs to be replaced but why wouldnt it budge, fuel issue? Spark plug?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:57 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
You've obviously damaged the kill switch or switchgear wiring in the drop.

What side is the kill switch and indicator switch on for an RS125?

The kill switch is working it stops the clicking noise when tapping the start button, the start buttons wires were disconnected so those were soldered back on. And ive just put a new starter relay in and its still got the clicking noise coming from the starter relay. The bike does bump start now, i had to put a new spark plug in. The indicator switch is at the back under the seat i believe.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off my body plastics and cleaned the wire of the starter motor, pressed the button, still didnt start. Tapped the starter motor a few times and it started. But my friend said take it off and clean it, so i took it out the bushings seemed a bit worn down cleaned the bearing and lubed it, connected it all together put it back on the bike and it made the clicky noise again, tapped it a few times and a little bit of smoke come from the starter motor... is it begoned? Crying or Very sad

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:28 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Have tried tried reading the advice given to you, or do you prefer to carry on fecking about?

Voltmeter. Get one, use it, post back.

Voltage is around 11 and it doesnt change when pressing the starter button. I did have it running after tapping the starter motor but this ones broken now, i think the liquid done it, cause i tested it with another battery and it wont spin.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recognise an electrical burning smell if you got a whiff? It's quite distinctive.

Electric motors usually use sealed bearings, there is a fair chance oil has got somewhere it shouldnt. I'd be surprised if the starter motor wore out beyond use on a 125 2 stroke, they don't tend to see that many miles.

Anyway, you're barking up the wrong tree faffing with the starter motor if it won't run on a bump start. My RS will bump start from cold having not been used for several months so it should be a relatively easy task if it's in good shape.

Switch gear is easy to test if you can work a multimeter, but I'd think you'd see visible damage to the exterior if the switch was buggered.

Anyway, you say it did run but cut out shortly after. On a bike that's likely had a dozen pairs of teenage hands all up in its junk, I'd wager a guess that something is routed a bit wrong somewhere and has been pinched when the bike fell over, like a fuel line or something.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:35 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
The bike does bump start now, i had to put a new spark plug in.

I had the spark plug in for around 2000 miles so it was due for a replacement. Starter motor should be coming tomorrow or Saturday, that should be the fix hopefully.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1