BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First big bike for commuting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:25 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the extra 60kg of dead weight is just like practising taking a pillion passenger. Idea

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And the extra 60kg of dead weight is just like practising taking a pillion passenger. Idea

It is a beast. 😂

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a little late to the party, but I'd get an SV650 faired or naked.

They don't need much maintenance. Just keep the usual bits lubed/cleaned. Get a fender extender to stop water in the spark plug well. Keep your brakes cleaned & the bike's a good'un.

For £2k you should get a decent nick post 2007 fuel injected model.

Easy to ride, easy to handle, easy to commute on. I had a 2001 model for about a year & commuted on it no probs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Save an extra £900 and get a GSX1250FA. Smile Yes I am biased.

Underpowered for its size (which helps you as a new rider)
Comes with full panniers and top box
small enough frame to filter easily
Loads of torque so remembering which gear your in isnt a problem
Looks good (allbeit that depends on personal preference)
Adjustable seat (I made mine higher as 6ft 2, you can lower it though)
Sports tourer so comfy riding position.

Can pick up a 2011 model for sub £3k

Thumbs Up

I never ride one, but have about 3 months experience on GSF-1250S. It is very good bike, easier to ride than those 600 Race Replica, despite the heavy weight, it is still very easy to handle at low speed, superior low end torque. You will reach next traffic light before the car even start moving. However, I am not sure it should be recommend for someone who never ride anything bigger than 125

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same could be said of any half decent 600 though surely?

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Same could be said of any half decent 600 though surely?

yeah, that's why i always feel strange, i keep seeing some experience bike say no for Street 3 beginner but suggest them FZ6S instead

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience trying "600ish" bikes (Bandit 650, CBR600F and pre-FZ6 FZ600) I wouldn't actively suggest any of them. However, I would say that any of them would be just fine. Which one of those - or any other moderne 600+ bike - you choose to get would really be a matter of personal preference.

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:16 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
From my limited experience trying "600ish" bikes (Bandit 650, CBR600F and pre-FZ6 FZ600) I wouldn't actively suggest any of them. However, I would say that any of them would be just fine. Which one of those - or any other moderne 600+ bike - you choose to get would really be a matter of personal preference.
i found bandit 650 and XJ6 output quite nice, while hornet and FZ6 feel relatively "sportier"

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewed the bike today, full service history turned out to be a stamped book with no receipts for work done, if it had proof of the 16k valve clearance being done i would have considered it but wasn't happy with the sketchy background with 7 previous owners

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/kawasaki-ninja-zx6r-636/1284511411

josdr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems decent. Unsure on whether this is an ideal first big bike. It looks maintained and there is some tasty suspension on it, set up for the owner's weight of course... Definitely worth a look

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:32 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would really annoy Tef, definitely get it.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a really fast bike but I plan on taking things as slowly as I can while I get used to it, I'm going to see it tomorrow, once again thanks for the advice Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi seriously, it wouldn't be my first choice. It'll be a fast bike if you spank the arse off of it. I kind of agree with Tef that moderne SUPERSPOTS 600's encourage roguish riding. It's what they're for.

However, if you try it and you enjoy it, then it's the right bike for you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he'll have anymore issue with ~100 bhp(?) than he would with a less powerful big bike, in terms of the 'danger' factor. Temptation... sure. The issue will be more commuting on a bike like that. inb4 sore wrists.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alright to me.

As for it being a good or bad first bike. I did the typical working up through bikes (50cc, 250cc 2 stroke, 500cc parallel twin, 600 v twin commuter) before I got my first 600cc il4. I don't think hopping straight on a 600 is necessarily a bad thing, but I really enjoyed the smaller bikes, ragging seven shades of oil out of a gpz500 or the like without ever straying into instaban territory is great.

600 il4s are generally pretty gutless until up high in the revs so if you've got a modicum of self preservation, you'll back off the throttle before getting into trouble territory.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I really enjoyed the smaller bikes, ragging seven shades of oil out of a gpz500 or the like without ever straying into instaban territory is great

100% agree. That Kawasaki 500 engine was ace - that's why I'm running its half-sized idiot cousin, for red line larks.

c_dug wrote:
600 il4s are generally pretty gutless until up high in the revs so if you've got a modicum of self preservation, you'll back off the throttle before getting into trouble territory.

Sure, but then what's the point of that? Recycled analogy alert, but it's like getting Kate Upton round to wash your dishes. They'll get clean, but that's not what she's for.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some people, having others think they're making full use of Kate Upton, when in fact she just washes the dishes, is enough.

Kate might be a bit miffed when you're not great between the sheets mind, and that's when six months practice with Chaz from down the local, before moving onto the pretty girl next door for a while, and eventually, when you're ready, giving Kate the ride she deserves, makes sense.

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good extras on the ninja but overall condition wasn't good close up so no go
The search continues..........

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999 R6, 10 grand? It's an investment I tell yay. It's a barn find.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:51 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
overall condition wasn't good close up

For a 15 year old bike? Are you being realistic with your expectations?

dennymc123
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I'm not expecting brand new and marks for age are par for the course with any used vehicle but I have seen better and want something I won't have to spend a fortune on to get to a decent standard, I want something that's been looked after, apart from the lack of history and high previous ownership, the cbr600f I saw was immaculate

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennymc123 wrote:
apart from the lack of history and high previous ownership, the cbr600f I saw was immaculate

It did have a SH, the service book full of stamps from the person / garage servicing it, with that in place, I wouldn't be worried about the amount of previous owners, especially on a £2k bike.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your commute is 20 miles each way, the deciding factor for me would be comfort and practicality.

Firstly comfort - if you've not been used to clip on bars then you may find them uncomfortable it first. With straight bars you can get away with leaning on them for a while, but do that with clip ons and you'll soon get aching wrists. This will be a factor for the CBR, ZX6r or practically any of the sportier 600s depending on how tall and how long your arms are.

Practicality - what's the best bike for you when it's pissing down every day for 20 miles? I'd be looking at what gear you have to wear/take and what happens to that gear when you arrive at work? You may want to fit a topbox, and they look shit on sports bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Fazer from me. I've commuted in London on mine for about five years as well as regular runs out to our head office in Buckinghamshire and can't fault it. Comfort wise, well I'm fifty two years old and creaking and arrive at work un-knackered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3