Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Big bore kits for 125cc - Yes or No?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

eNtak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Big bore kits for 125cc - Yes or No? Reply with quote

Okay so now I have a 125 (ybr-07-carb) I have been doing general maintenance since I have got it and fixed things that were broken and added bits and bobs, but then it comes to the question.

How much (if any) performance could I squeeze out of this little engine?

Before someone says " it's a 125 " or " it's a 125, if you want a faster bike then buy one" or something along those lines, I get it... it's a 125 which is slow (60-65 ish)

But something I have always wondered and done a little research into is BIG BORE KITS!

If you look at it from the following stand point it's not worth it but can it be made worth the effort?

This is my thinking , you have a 50cc bike say 4 stroke to keep power relatively the same. let's call it the YBR 50, if you upgraded to a YBR 125 then you will notice the difference in performance, but..... if you throw a big bore kit on the YBR 125 to take it to a 150cc ...then would you really feel any difference?

Here are some questions :
* Is it worth the added stress on the crank and bearings etc ?
* Are there 200cc kits possible?
* what engine modifications would need to be made
* finally is it all worth it?

Hope someone can shed some light on this

Thanks
Drew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/asset/Blog/23/tef-off-edit.jpg

https://www.port.ac.uk/media/top-ten/tef/tef-logo-border.pnghttps://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/619425460707962880/BNPTEFmr_400x400.jpg

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:42 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an air-cooled four-stroke single, in a deliberately low state of tune to start with, it makes, what, about 10-11bhp?

IF, and its a very big if, you got an increase in power proportional to the increase in displacement.... you may get what, 0.08bh per extra cc? So IF you could stretch it to 200cc, you might 'just' break the power permitted by A1/LL licence limits....

But you wont.

First up, doesn't matter how big the cylinder is, it can only make as much power as it an cram charge in it.... with valves sized for a detuned 10bhp engine and cam timing set rather conservatively for emissions & economy, the extra cc's mght help chunk up a bit of low and mid-range power, but t will run out of puff at much the same 'peak' power, where valves and cam are already struggling to let in enough charge to fill a 125c cylinder, let alone a bigger one.

If you have a knackered engine, that needs a rebore, anyway... then regs actually permit it to be bored to max service limit, and still be classes as a 125 for licence & tax regs... that would probably allow you to bore to something close to 150cc, and still be learner-legal ad not ausing a tax fraud.... but in all liklihood, almost certain to be cheaper to replace the barel & piston.. where standard parts wouldn't gve you any capacity gan, and a big bore kit would advertse the displacement change being stamped with capacity change on the bottom of the barel.... so rather risking licence and tax fraud, for the bog all gain you'd likely get.

If you seriously want to see how much power you could get from the thing, you'd need do far more than wack on a big-bore kit... you would need to work the head as best as to give it better flow capacity, probably fill and recut valves to get larger ones in the head, and probably reprofile the cam to get some extra breathing potential... match that to revised carb and ignition, and you stand some chance of MAYBE achieving a walloping 13bhp or so.. which is about the best any of the factories ever managed to get from an air-cooled four-stroke single, with two-valves per cylinder, around 125-150cc and NOT with any huge amount of reliability!

YBR 125 is an low maintenance economy commuter..... that's ts strong points, ECCONOMY.... trying to tune one for more power, EVEN if you were successful, would result in lots of money having to be chucked at the job, rather dedeatig a large chnk of ecconomy at the outset, to result in a machine want to do itself damage, and need a lot more maintenance to conserve what performance you achieved, and still face the fact it would need more expensive repairs more frequently, whilst burning more fuel than you got extra power for it...

So if you dot really want a low cost, low maintenance commuter.... buy something that isn't a low cost low maintenance commuter, and you stand some actual chance of actually seeing something that actually has more power, without breaking A1/L-L licene restricts or if you DGAS about them... then ope book on how much performance you can afford....

I mean, you can pick up a 140bhp / 175mph ZZR-1100 or for something slightly more sporty a 100bhp / 160mph ZX6-R for less than the price decent used YBR125... how much power or performance do you want for your money?

Or take it to the max...buy a Busa, and when even that isn't enough, start tuning that, add a turbo, add nitreous, and join the double-ton club.... it's probably easier and cheaper to build a 200+bhp 2000+ mph busa, than try get a four stroke air-cooled single cylinder commuter to break A1 15bhp power limit and potentially reach a genuine 80mph!!!!

So bottom line just NO. it isn't worth the effort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:52 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Tef is right, but I'd encourage you to try it anyway because I don't want to live in a world where that is true.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger bore, assuming piston to head clearance is ok, will slightly increase the Compression ratio, and maybe depending on the head design, it'll de-shroud the valves slightly, allowing more air flow at a given lift.

It'll only be very small differences in flow though, and a std unmodified head will as said make it run out of puff early at the top end. Still think with exhaust mods and carb tuning, that such a kit could add a couple of bhp or close to it.

Say a 3bhp gain on a light 100kg? 125 is quite noticeable and significant, as would be a 3kg weight saving etc too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lad a few streets over did this (Full license, it's a commuter that does 4 miles).
YBR is 9BHP.

There are 170/180cc kits out there, from Brazil I think the lad said. Will cost you as much as a doggy but running YBR by the time you import it though.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one agreeing with Tef here Shocked Laughing

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe in 2018 people are thinking of reboring a 125...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:02 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon Mike Translation:

No.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
Can't believe in 2018 people are thinking of reboring a 125...

More a kit than a rebore. You can't get an extra 50% capacity from reboring the same barrel. Most liners only have a few mm.

Yup. Cylinder, piston, Rings, gaskets, some have a cam & rockers. Most Chinese ones keep the 123/124cc embossed on them, irrespective of size - Won't help when the adjuster gets the calipers out.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m with Roger. Tune it just to spite teffers.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 21 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what the problem is with wanting to fit off the shelf big bore kits to modern bikes? As long as your not expecting a 10bhp Chinese 125 to become a monster by doing so.

People have been fitting big bore kits to 125's for over 30 years, and I bet a few RD125LC owners put their first Autisa 175 kit on circa 1983?

Once you start seriously playing with engines, the one thing I've learnt in life is to either stop trusting them as dependable daily hacks, or to have a big supply of spare engines at the ready for when you start ruining them quickly.

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:05 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the legality of it all, surely I wasn't the only one who derestricted my 125. Back in the day there was reams of info about getting the most out of your NSR/TZR/MITO in this very forum

In fact it was the reason I joined... What has happened to this place

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happened is that you have to be a complete weirdo with no sense and a pervert to like messing with small bikes now.

If your thinking of starting a new forum for these special people, then add me to the joining list ok. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't see what the problem is with wanting to fit off the shelf big bore kits to modern bikes? As long as your not expecting a 10bhp Chinese 125 to become a monster by doing so.

People have been fitting big bore kits to 125's for over 30 years, and I bet a few RD125LC owners put their first Autisa 175 kit on circa 1983?

Once you start seriously playing with engines, the one thing I've learnt in life is to either stop trusting them as dependable daily hacks, or to have a big supply of spare engines at the ready for when you start ruining them quickly.

The problem is the goal.

If your goal is to have an interesting technical challenge and to see if it can be done, then yeah sure. However, no one in their right mind would undertake this kind of project without wanting a decent bike as a result. In which case you may as well start with something decent.

At the end of the day if you want a 15bhp bike instead of a 10bhp one, buy an NSR or Mito or something. The value will be the same as it's still a 125 and you won't be doing crazy potentially bike killing work on it.

My opinion on this has always been, if you want a faster bike, buy a faster bike, unless you've got a Turbo busa or the bike has some other characteristic which means it could work well with some tuning work.

(for those bored enough to know what those characteristics may be... read on!

Arrow out of the ordinary Light Weight
Arrow particularly easy tuning (engine swap such as D675 engine in Street Triple)
Arrow To build a bike that never existed (large capacity two stroke sportsbike)
Arrow Ludicrously easy tuning (derestriction)

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

At the end of the day if you want a 15bhp bike instead of a 10bhp one, buy an NSR or Mito or something. The value will be the same as it's still a 125 and you won't be doing crazy potentially bike killing work on it.

Yeah, if this is your goal, just sell the YBR and buy a YZF, it'll probably work out cheaper in the end

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Forget big bore kits.

What you really need to do is bolt a dirty great big turbocharger to it. The power will be guaranteed to rip your arsehole clean in half.

Don’t believe it’s possible? Check out the link.

https://youtu.be/TD6YAvw_B6o

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy YBR 250 engine and put in it's place. Easy.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
a big bore kit would advertse the displacement change being stamped with capacity change on the bottom of the barel....

Thanks to the Chinese, its quite possible to buy 150cc kits that are still marked 123cm2 or something like that.

I'm sure Tef is spot on, but I do wish I'd tried it. IIRC the kit (including barrel) was about £80 delivered.
Yes, a bit of faffing with Jets and mixtures, but with so much access / air around bits and bobs, its so easy to work on. Give it a go.....if you can afford for it to go badly....

EDIT: I stand corrected. £30

https://www.engtaobao.com/item/taobao/45218245072.html

EDIT2: £50 from UK

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Buy YBR 250 engine and put in it's place. Easy.

If you can get one, they are mega rare.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2