Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD 2 passed MCE insurance wants money ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:

It's (another reason) why I don't understand people on here pushing learners to do their tests ASAP, unless you plan to change bikes it can be an expensive outlay for no real benefit.

It's of huge benefit in a lot of circumstances:
1) You get to lose the L plates.
2) You can use motorway sections when the need arises, which even at a steady 55-60 are still a lot quicker than A roads.
3) If it's your first pink licence you're starting off your NDA countdown.
4) You get some actual training if you do it via a training school and that's never a bad thing (unless it's bad training, but that's a separate point).

The outlay we're talking about here, for reference, for 6 months remaining policy, is £70. It's hardly a groundbreaking amount of cash. I appreciate it could have been a lot worse, however, so I would stipulate the way to approach these things is, as always, as pragmatically as possible:
1) If the cost to cancel the policy outweighs the cost of the mid term adjustment, then you'd be bloody nuts to do so.
2) If the cost to take out a new policy and cancel the other one ends up +/- the same as the continuation of your existing then you may as well get yourself the year's NCD.
3) If the cost of the MTA is so great that 2) isn't true even when taking into account the NCD then you're better off just pulling the plug and taking out a new policy.
4) Wibble.

At all times, notwithstanding the above:
1) Make the broker work for the cash and don't just blindly pay up; you've informed them as per your obligation and if they don't follow up then that's their problem.
2) Ask them to speak to the underwriters regarding your circumstances to achieve a waiver of the additional premium; because it is clearly unfair that now you are better trained, better qualified you're more of a risk - it doesn't stand to reason. I expect it will achieve nothing, but your complaint will be stronger for your suggesting they do so.
3) Complain regardless. Don't come on here and whinge - get your elbows out where it matters. Here achieves nothing (Bodytard #armchairexpert).
4) Wobble.

Cutting back to the crux of the issue here, there's a number of key points:
1) They can't avoid the policy on the grounds of non disclosure, because you've disclosed everything to them - this dispute is purely premium collection related. They also can't avoid the policy even if you wouldn't have told them because by offering you continuation (even if it is at increased cost) they've affirmed that they would have provided cover for you so there is absolutely no inducement into contract.
2) The policy you have been issued is not 'void' regardless of the Statement of Fact being inaccurate in respect of your licence status; you've informed them of a change of circumstance, and if they've not issued a revision then that's their problem.
3) The police won't be able to tell - if you get pulled and you've no L plates then you've got a pass certificate, and an insurance certificate, and you'd be pretty stupid to present them with a copy of your schedule at any point in any discussion - that's a definite no comment type of situation. If they call MCE and ask, and MCE tell them you're still down as a provisional licence holder, then you ask the officer to confirm with them that you've made your disclosure. The argument is about payment of an amount owed, but cover is still operative as they have not issued cancellation.
4) Jelly on a plate.

But I doth wonder whether my advice shalst be in vain, since thine OP is somewhat thalidomidey.

Counter-points, going against the BCF consensus I never noticed a difference (in driver behavior) when ditching my L plates. Once you stop wobbling around like a noob you'll be getting less involved with them anyway, with more CCs it reduces further.

Motorways on a 125 (likely 4-stroke), better bring a clean pair of underwear.

You get the 2 year probation ticking but with a 6 point limit, which if you reach you have to do your tests all over again. I believe the provisional limit's still 12 points, although I've heard of people carrying on with more (one guy passed with 18 points). So if you're young/dumb/full of visions that you're indeed the next Rossi, maybe 12 points to play with is better?

It's still money down the crapper. Unless you're going to repeat your CBT I wouldn't bother with getting a full license on a tiddler, maybe Mod 1 for some sneaky practice as it's only £15, but even then I don't think it's real prep' for doing it on a big bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countering your counter to my counter:

M.C wrote:

Counter-points, going against the BCF consensus I never noticed a difference (in driver behavior) when ditching my L plates. Once you stop wobbling around like a noob you'll be getting less involved with them anyway, with more CCs it reduces further.

It's still worth cool points regardless of driver behavior and it's one less thing to worry about (losing L Plates to the rear tyre, or the front not displaying properly which a picky copper pics up on). It does have some effect on driver behavior regardless of your own ability - you only need to look at the way learner driver cars are victimised on the road even when it's the instructor driving for reference of that.

And how pray do you suggest would be best to get to a stage where you stop wobbling around like a noob? Ride as an untrained noob in an uninstructed fashion or get some training? See point 4 on that one.

M.C wrote:

Motorways on a 125 (likely 4-stroke), better bring a clean pair of underwear.

Wut? Why? I did plenty of of miles on motorway/major A road 3 laners on the missus' old YBR and it was perfectly fine. The Enfield isn't exactly earth shatteringly fast compared and I've doddled up and down the A13 on that plenty to - although I tend not to if I can help it because it rattles itself to bits, but that's an Enfield thing - the YBR was still perfectly in tact Laughing.

M.C wrote:

You get the 2 year probation ticking but with a 6 point limit, which if you reach you have to do your tests all over again. I believe the provisional limit's still 12 points, although I've heard of people carrying on with more (one guy passed with 18 points). So if you're young/dumb/full of visions that you're indeed the next Rossi, maybe 12 points to play with is better?

You're in the same boat at some point though, when you get your pink licence. You've got to go through it at some point if you're going to ride or drive something worthwhile. And in your example, if you got 6 points and got revoked, you'd be able to revert to a CBT again anyway and be in the same position. If you're going to knock up 12 points on an L plate then Allah help you anyway, frankly; I don't think there's anything that passing your test will do to you stop you, except with the obvious exception of actually having some training....

M.C wrote:
It's still money down the crapper. Unless you're going to repeat your CBT I wouldn't bother with getting a full license on a tiddler, maybe Mod 1 for some sneaky practice as it's only £15, but even then I don't think it's real prep' for doing it on a big bike.

Why is it money down the crapper? You don't consider a full licence and / or the training you receive an investment? I only got my bike licence as an investment - it started off as an 'if I need to, I can' because I was offered a job which involved a stinker of a commute which raised the interesting point of how to get there. It's also great to know if I go abroad I can hire that 250 and take the wife on the back and not worry about the local rozzers. It's served me well in both of those instances; it's done me even better in terms of fun.

If you take the training off, because let's say you have a subject that thinks they're ace at it without anyone else's help, then you're only looking at ~£100 for the tests anyway. Surely it's worth that if for nothing else than the hassle of rebooking a CBT?

I honestly don't get it. I can understand why it wouldn't suit perfectly all circumstances, but I'm lost by the reasoning as to why not TBH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It does have some effect on driver behavior regardless of your own ability - you only need to look at the way learner driver cars are victimised on the road even when it's the instructor driving for reference of that.

And how pray do you suggest would be best to get to a stage where you stop wobbling around like a noob? Ride as an untrained noob in an uninstructed fashion or get some training? See point 4 on that one.

Cos they're in a crappy little car that even a 125 destroys away from the lights. Once you gain a bit of confidence on a tiddler any 'normal' car shouldn't really get near you, the exception being steep hills or big boy roads, when the lack of power lets you down.

What training are you talking about? CBT the guy shouted at us me for a couple of hours (total CBT time not road ride) then gave us our certificate. DAS training day 1, we were told we didn't need to ride as fast as the instructor through a section of twisty A Road, and then were told we didn't do too badly turning up ~ a dozen seconds after him (compared to other students). The rest was basically just a ride around with a few cursory comments on our riding.

So sorry if I don't see any value in training. The pal I passed with rode big bikes for years with no license, we both passed because of what we had learnt on our own, not what some old beardy who knows f**k all about teaching failed to tell us.

*breathes* Very Happy

arry wrote:
Wut? Why? I did plenty of of miles on motorway/major A road 3 laners on the missus' old YBR and it was perfectly fine. The Enfield isn't exactly earth shatteringly fast compared and I've doddled up and down the A13 on that plenty to - although I tend not to if I can help it because it rattles itself to bits, but that's an Enfield thing - the YBR was still perfectly in tact Laughing.

It's dangerous IMO, you don't have the power to get out of a dangerous situation. In a strong head wind, or uphill it'll be even worse.

arry wrote:
And in your example, if you got 6 points and got revoked, you'd be able to revert to a CBT again anyway and be in the same position. If you're going to knock up 12 points on an L plate then Allah help you anyway, frankly; I don't think there's anything that passing your test will do to you stop you, except with the obvious exception of actually having some training....

No you won't, you'll be back on a learners but over £100 out of pocket. You often hear of people getting six points on one day, speeding to and from somewhere, through the same temp' road works etc.

arry wrote:
Surely it's worth that if for nothing else than the hassle of rebooking a CBT?

I honestly don't get it. I can understand why it wouldn't suit perfectly all circumstances, but I'm lost by the reasoning as to why not TBH.

M.C wrote:
Unless you're going to repeat your CBT I wouldn't bother with getting a full license on a tiddler

I agree it's better than rebooking a CBT, but that's on the basis you'll spend about £100 on a CBT and £15-£25 more on a license, assuming you pass everything first time. The amount of eternal L platers, even under the old rules suggests a guaranteed (CBT) pass was more appealing.

Personally given the chance I would have gone for the old restricted (33bhp) license. As it's now, it feels like you do your CBT which doesn't prepare you for riding on your own, leave it up to luck and/or Darwin as to whether you survive, and then are told oh you need training.

Either give people proper training at the start, or leave it up to them to figure out how not to die. Rant over Smile

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you two having a teff off Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
you two having a teff off Laughing

Special Olympics maybe; can't be a Tef as I've not mentioned moderne sports 600s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:20 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: The old days Reply with quote

Bring back the old days I say ,I did a voluntary ride around some cones to keep my mum happy at 16 and zipped around on my fizzie , stuck a yb100 engine in it,swapped it for a rd125lc at 17 and took my test,30 mins around the block and 10 highway code questions
Bought a GPX750 off a neighbour a week later,I remember the adrenaline rush when i first opened it up 😎
Happy days
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2