Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Earth wire electric bods need your advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Earth wire electric bods need your advice. Reply with quote

After a problem on the bike I'm needing a new earth wire. Now I'm wondering what is the best type of wire to use and ampage. Never liked or got along with electrics hence the question.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really an earth wire as such on a bike, what exactly do you need?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thicker, the better.

If the starter solenoid connects directly to the battery negative with a big fat wire, the frame earth needs to carry up to 30A (usualy size of the main fuse). I'd go with at least 4mm^2 multicore cable.

If the only connection to the battery negative is the frame earth, it needs to carry starter motor current. So it needs to be about as thick as a jump lead. You'd want to buy a pre-made earth strap because conventional crimps etc wont be up to the task. So in the region of 15 to 20mm^2. Especially if it's for your brick engine BMW because they'll draw some serious cranking amps.

It is not wrong to use a thick earth strap in either case. Loads of them on ebay, all different sizes. This is just a random example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Classic-Car-Earth-Strap-Battery-Lead-Cable-Flexible-Tinned-Copper-Braid/121930637020?epid=651851216&hash=item1c63a1dedc:g:EQwAAOSwv-NWaFQw

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only connection to the battery is the negative from the frame its about 850mm in length worth of cable. I know now for a fact that if a certain problem happens that you can disconnect the earth cable save it going fully on fire.

You can see how lucky I was on the old standard earth cable. I'll have a look on ebay see if i can find an earth strap that meets my requirements.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1