Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bloody eBay item not received case closed in sellers favour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:41 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Bloody eBay item not received case closed in sellers favour Reply with quote

Bought a pair of trainers for the wife on eBay, they never turned up so I contacted the seller who provided tracking information stating they had been left in my greenhouse or rather left in a greenhouse.

To have left them in my greenhouse the delivery driver would have had to either scramble through 4ft of thick brambles, climb over a 6ft fence, across a load of scrap motorcycles/parts/junk and over another 6ft fence or break into my house and then out again whilst somehow locking up after himself too.

After no reply from the seller after sending them this information I opened a case against them on ebay, they again failed to make any reply so once the allotted time was up I asked eBay to step in and they instantly closed the case in the sellers favour as they had provided tracking.

basically seller most likely posted it, delivery driver left it at wrong address, I'm now down £30odd

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when is "left it in an unsecured greenhouse without express permission from the sender nor the recipient" proof of delivery??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Would Ste Do?

Really, I'd ask him. I'm stumped.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:00 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked in your greenhouse?

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:03 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yes I've checked the greenhouse was kinda hoping it would be there but alas no, nothing there but knackered garden tools, cobwebs and the remains of my wife's attempt at gardening Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It would be kind of rough on the seller to lose out too though surely?

Which is why the seller should take it up with the delivery company

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you'll get no joy from eBay, because as far as they are concerned the item's been delivered, and all that a seller has to do to stay within their rules is provide tracking information, which they've done.

Sucks I know, but your recourse is with the seller direct (assuming that the delivery company won't talk to you direct - always worth a try, but their contract is with the seller, not you).

Is the seller just a private individual, or are they a business? Either way, your contract is with them, and its up to them to ensure the goods are delivered so they are still on the hook for this and need to be proactive with the delivery company. If it's a business, they should at least take interest in the fact that their delivery company is screwing up, and you're in a much better position anyway as you're protected by consumer law. Have a look at this on MoneySavingExpert.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:13 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post up the seller. Find their address. Steal their trainers.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
Haha, yes I've checked the greenhouse was kinda hoping it would be there but alas no, nothing there but knackered garden tools, cobwebs and the remains of my wife Laughing

Probably why the courier didn't leave your trainers in there Mr. Green

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What Would Ste Do?

You fucking piece of shit.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here isn't really ebay, paypal, the seller or the buyer.
Whoever left the delivery note is at fault, the rest of them have done as expected and shouldn't be penalised/blamed.

It would be nice if delivery drivers were a little less light fingered.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What Would Ste Do?

Errr wait what Adam Aarons you fucking piece of Rainpal shit.

I'd have asked specifically in the eBay dispute for the buyer to show proof of delivery.

I'd have phoned eBay customer services about the situation. As I don't have a greenhouse I could explain how you don't know where the delivery driver has left your parcel but one thing you do know is that you don't have a greenhouse.

I'd have asked for their advice, you're worried that you're going to be left out of pocket for an item you've been told has been left in a greenhouse somewhere.

I wouldn't make any mention of the brambles, the fences, the scrap motorcycles part, etc etc etc as it's more straight forward if you pretend that you don't own a greenhouse. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:00 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The problem here isn't really ebay, paypal, the seller or the buyer.
Whoever left the delivery note is at fault, the rest of them have done as expected and shouldn't be penalised/blamed.

The buyer paid the seller to deliver it.
The seller did not deliver it.

Ebay also took their cut of the delivery fee, which they take to cover the admin fees for their promise that you'll get the item you paid for.

The seller separately paid a company to provide the delivery service offered. It's the seller's responsibility to get this sorted or refund I believe.

The delivery company then either paid an employee or a subcontracted unit to deliver the item. Depending on their own terms of services, when requested by the seller to sort the problem - it may be up to them to then sort that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in andyscooters thread, I've always dealt with the courier directly, sellers have never really seemed that interested. It sounds like in this case they dropped it at some totally random house, when I had that happen they retrieved it, and after nearly redelivering it to another (or maybe even the same) wrong address got it to me.

Was a card left OP?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:27 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has bought and sold a lot on ebay and occasionally had issues with couriers

This is the first case I've seen settled in the sellers favour, it's normally always the buyer who loses out.

It always helps when buyers provide their phone number and email on ebay, because it means I can add it to the delivery info and that way when the driver cant find your house he can call you.

When its caused an issue in the past, I've always done my best to resolve it with the delivery company, but tbh its FAR easier if the buyer talks to them, because they have normally either left the parcel somewhere and the buyer knows his own property better than me, or he cant find the house, and the buyer knows his area better than me.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The buyer paid the seller to deliver it.
The seller did not deliver it.

The seller has proof of delivery.
This is the key point here, he has done nothing wrong.

Quite why he is at fault or should lose out is escaping me.

The courier stole the item and faked delivery, it's a criminal matter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

From whom did they steal it?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:

From whom did they steal it?

Their boss!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:51 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

The seller has proof of delivery.
This is the key point here, he has done nothing wrong.

Quite why he is at fault or should lose out is escaping me.

They shouldn't lose out - they should recoup money from the organisation they paid to provide a service which was not.

If they took someone else's money with the promise that they would deliver an item, then chose to subcontract out that responsibility to a company that may or may not provide the service - they are taking a risk and have to accept the responsibility for that.

If they make ti clear "You are paying to MAYBE have your parcel delivered" - fair enough. Otherwise, I'd expect that when I pay someone to have my parcel delivered, they make sure that's the case.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you raised a goods not received with Paypal ?
you only talk about ebay, but a issue with PP is different.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I'm not saying it's not a fkked up system, but if you were a seller and you get proof of delivery in this day and age, you just assume the buyer is trying it on.

I've had a few try it on, I've contacted the courier and they have assured me the parcel was delivered.

If I got left the card, I'd be onto the courier and ask them to look into the theft, asking the seller would be pointless, he has the system on his side and the money in his bank, why would he care?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Jeez, I'm not saying it's not a fkked up system, but if you were a seller and you get proof of delivery in this day and age, you just assume the buyer is trying it on.

I've had a few try it on, I've contacted the courier and they have assured me the parcel was delivered.

If I got left the card, I'd be onto the courier and ask them to look into the theft, asking the seller would be pointless, he has the system on his side and the money in his bank, why would he care?

Depends what that proof is, they are starting to use a Royal mail system that says it is delivered, but requires no proof from the buyer, this is flawed,
I have 24/7 CCTV that picks up anyone coming up the drive, twice they have claimed to have delivered an item, yet they never even attended my property, so how is that fair on seller or buyer ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:01 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is the perfect shitstorm of soapy shoulders.

The buyer has already paid for the goods, so presumably has title to them. But the courier's contact is with the seller. But the seller can't speak to the veracity of the buyer's claim.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud-including-online-crime-questions to get a crime number then invoice the courier, I guess.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Depends what that proof is, they are starting to use a Royal mail system that says it is delivered, but requires no proof from the buyer, this is flawed,
I have 24/7 CCTV that picks up anyone coming up the drive, twice they have claimed to have delivered an item, yet they never even attended my property, so how is that fair on seller or buyer ?

A few years ago I had a claim where the buyer says he never received the item, the courier says the item was left in his recycle box beside his door, the courier knew the area and that the collection of said box was a few days away so deemed it a safe place and so left it there with a card posted.

I had a proof of delivery, Ebay found in my favour, but the buyer kept pestering me about it, so I decided to dig deeper.

I phoned the courier company who said they would look into it for me. Later that day, they emailed me and stated that the courier was sure it was the right place and that he remembered it well as they had just repainted their door with quite a bright blue paint and it had a 'WET PAINT' sign on it.
With this info, I hatched a plan!
I went to google maps, checked the front door of said property and saw that the door was a brown woodstained colour, so I messaged the buyer and told him that the courier had remembered his property and that they had a brown woodstained door. The emailed me back in a shot with 'Ha! we have a newly painted blue door!' I then forwarded the email where the guy said it was a newly painted door. The buyer then mysteriously went quiet, never to be heard from again.

This was odd to me, since if they knew the item was delivered, they also knew the courier would have seen the newly painted blue door, so why would he say he saw a brown door?
Anyhow, case closed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2