Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FZS 600 - Gear lever sticking? What Do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:35 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: FZS 600 - Gear lever sticking? What Do? Reply with quote

No idea if I'm thinking along the right lines with this...

03 plate Fazer, 58k on the clocks ( 8O )

My commute is about an hour, and for the second half of it (so engine warm, oil warm) sometimes when I change up a gear, the lever stays high, so it's not there when I want to change up another cog, or I have to tap it down to the middle position with my boot, to then lift it up to engage the next great etc... All a bit annoying if I'm trying to smash the traffic light grandprix, or even just not get lorry-squashed.

So, is this a 'thing'? I've tried an oil and filter change, but no difference. the good book shows a spring on the other end of the gear select shaft (next to clutch plates) that I could replace... But would mean binning some nearly new oil, and a gasket for the sake of a £2 spring. But if that's what it is, I suppose I'll have to do it? Seems better when cold too?

Edit: number 2 on this schematic

I just don't want all that aggro for it to make no difference, or be something else altogether!
Clutch cable only a month old. Oil, new. Cleaned a load of crud from behind the sprocket cover, but nothing that'd stop the gear lever returning to centre??? It's fine going down through the gears, though feels like putting your foot in a bag of mud sometimes... Not the nice positive 'snick' into gear that I'm used to...

TL:DR gear lever doesn't always return to centre, gear change a bit off sometimes. Fix with new spring or should I be looking elsewhere??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a quick spray of WD40 around where the gear lever connects to the engine first (I've had a similar problem).

If it improves then take the lever off and give it a good greasing up

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QW6hOAsoe8k/maxresdefault.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's fine going down through the gears, though feels like putting your foot in a bag of mud sometimes... Not the nice positive 'snick' into gear that I'm used to...

Reckon you've nailed the problem... gearbox selector? Or some such mechanism? False neutral's and sloppy gear changes are not good news. So unless you've got a gear selector that's hanging off it's splined shaft (check now) it looks and sounds like an expensive fix.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1