Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Indicator laws?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Indicator laws? Reply with quote

I will be making some alterations to the gpz when Soph no longer needs it for her commute, one of the changes will be the headlight,

To keep things above board I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any road legal grey areas in the positioning of the front indicators?

For example, would these be fine, being part of the main unit?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/272247877340?chn=ps&adgroupid=51456964475&rlsatarget=aud-414550638673%3Apla-429319287284&abcId=1130086&adtype=pla&merchantid=113476418&poi=&googleloc=9041126&device=c&campaignid=1029031424&crdt=0

they shouldn't interfere with the headlight and vice versa, however is there a minimum distance the indicator should be apart/from the headlight?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBA wading through construction and use regs. This is from the MSVA manual (.pdf file). if I built a one-off new bike, this would be the requirement to build it to so I'm assuming it paraphrases the C&U requirements.

FRONT INDICATORS:
Min Height: 350mm.
Max height: 1200mm.
Min distance apart: 240mm.

REAR INDICATORS:
Same heights as above.
Min distance apart 180mm.
Max 300mm from rear.

Should be visible from a position 2m from the front of the vehicle and 1.5m off the ground.

Flash between 60 and 120flashes/min.

On a side note. Those cheap integrated lighting units are utter shit and I'd put money on the flasher bulbs not lasting past the end of the road. Maybe double that for the headlamp bulbs.

The standard stanley headlight is actually pretty good on the GPZ500.

Sneaks off to measure the distance between the sidelights on his enfield bullet to see if he can put flashers in them.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one linked was just an example, I'd quite like that style on the front, not necessarily that unit.

Good info there though cheers fella Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:57 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.

It's a hayabusa headlamp unit on a homemade bracket.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/simmer%20dim/svlerwick.jpg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:55 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laws or not, since I nearly SMIDSY'd a mate on a mini-cator clad blandit on a mini-roundabout not far off, 'cos the indies were a) far too close together to see, b) too close to the headlamp to see c) blotted out by a dim DTRL to see, and I was actually LOOKING for the ruddy things!

I really appreciate conventional old fashioned Indies on LONG stalks.

End of the day, if you are going to fit-em, whatever regs you might fiddle, the indies are there to tell folk where you are going..... you don't have a wonderful chance to start with, so give yourself the BEST chance you can, or just don't bother at ALL!

Bikes built before '84 don't need indies under C&U granddad rights. Bikes built after 'may' get away with them removed under "Adapted for off-road-use" caveot of modern regs.... and Hand-Signals WORK!!!!

Oh-Kay they confuse the hell out of any-one who passed a driving test in the last quarter century, wondering what a wounded-sparrow impression means..... but at least they see it and slow down!

You pays your money and takes your chances... BUT, IDGAS how cool they may or may not look, like I say, its down to chances and IF fitted, I want them to stand best chance of actually making other traffic NOT drive into me! So long stalks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
..spewing of spregy tripe...

You're fun at parties eh?

OP - I'd have properly seperate indicators, but there's nothing to say they have to be up by the light/fairing. Chuck a set of LED mini's on and forget about it.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

It's a hayabusa headlamp unit on a homemade bracket.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/simmer%20dim/svlerwick.jpg

that looks decent, how did you make the bracket? Is it internally threaded rod bent round?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:53 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:

that looks decent, how did you make the bracket? Is it internally threaded rod bent round?

Wasn't me that made it but I also thought it looked well and should be a totally awesome headlight in terms of output. The bracket is a bit of mild steel hollow bar carefully bent round (pretty sure a load of heat was involved) then a thread tapped into the ends of it. Doesn't need to be particularly fancy, the light's only held on with four plastic lugs anyway. Always impresses me they don't just snap off considering the aerodynamic force that will be seeing at 200+mph

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the bit of Teff's post that I read.

I nearly smashed the car into a pug 206 a few years back, they had one headlight working, bit brighter than it usually would be and the other the bulb was half gone, sidelight only.

on the 206 the indicator is small and sandwiched between the radiator grille and the headlight, due to the brighter single working headlamp, I could hardly see the indicator flashing until the moment crisis was averted.

It would actually dissuade me from buying a bike if the indicators were right next to the headlamp.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1