Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to approach emailing a company director (complaints)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: How to approach emailing a company director (complaints) Reply with quote

After a bit of advice really,

Back in May 2017 my caravan was damaged by a company who fitted new tyres to it and then left the wheel nuts loose on one wheel. This resulted in the wheel coming off while traveling at 30mph and doing a fair amount of damage.

They accepted liability, passed to their insurers in July and so the process began.

Fast forward to November, it's in for repair it a place of my choosing - great.

Now, the insurers are haggling about the alloy wheels. As the van is a 2007 model, the style of alloy fitted is unavailable and the original is damaged beyond reasonable repair.

So they repairers quoted for 4 new alloy wheels.

This was at first argued by the insurers stating that it would be fit to be returned to me with a mismatched alloy - Bollocks.

They have relented on this after MUCH anger and delay, but are now trying to claim that the undamaged alloys (3) are worth £200 and they want to knock this off the value of the claim.

I have emailed them with evidence (from ebay sold items) to show that in reality they are probably worth no more than £60 as the insurers requested that my original new tyres were refitted to my new wheels - which was fair enough.

Now, 4 weeks later, I still have not heard anything.

I call twice a week, I am never able to get hold of my claim handler, I don't receive any email updates or returned calls.

The last straw was on Friday when upon yet again finding my claims handler unavailable, I asked to speak to the manager (who was not available) then that persons manager only to be told they were unable to do that.

I asked to be guaranteed that I be called back by the end of business that day, and was not.

Obviously now it is past midday on Tuesday and I have heard nothing.

So I have dug up a current company directors email and phone number.....so, how to I go about it?

Please keep in mind that we used our caravan for 9 family holidays/ weekends away in 2016 and had no chance to use it at all in 2017 due to the delays in getting the authorisation to have the repairs completed.

This is not a massive claim, sub £4K all in, so I cannot fathom why its been such a pig to sort.

All advice/comments welcome!!

Last edited by J4mes on 16:36 - 26 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dive in before Roger does.

Stop phoning. Don't email.

Written complaint (titled as such), keep a copy and proof of posting. -> Letter Before action. -> Small claims court.

Summons on the doorstep in their name usually galvanises THEM into hassling their insurer, it shouldn't be your job.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'll dive in before Roger does.

Always with the modsplaining. Folded arms

That, though. A complaint should be your first response to the slightest delay or shenanigans.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above - Formal Complaint followed by letter before action really gets the pressure cranked up on your opponent. If a large company you may get help from the resolver tool done by Martin Lewis - I used it successfully against BT who refused to accept my hub was faulty for 12 months giving me a crap service - of course it was but it took resolver to back them into the corner.

Stephen

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: How to approach emailing a company director (complaints) Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

They have relented on this after MUCH anger and delay, but are now trying to claim that the undamaged alloys (3) are worth £200 and they want to knock this off the value of the claim.

Please keep in mind that we used our caravan for 9 family holidays/ weekends away in 2016 and had no chance to use it at all in 2017 due to the delays in getting the authorisation to have the repairs completed.

This is not a massive claim, sub £4K all in, so I cannot fathom why its been such a pig to sort.

All advice/comments welcome!!

So, they claim a reduction of £200 for the other alloys, can you not claim an increase to the claim for £2000 for loss of enjoyment due to their / their client's action denying you use of your property?

Written letter as others have said,

perhaps what I suggest above is a bit too strong, but saying that the reduction due to being able to sell the other alloys is a bit of a smack in the teeth given that you've been unable to use the thing for the last year

if they wish to, they are free to sell the un damaged alloys on to reduce their loss, that's not your concern

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the insurer? This sounds familiar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out not one of mine, phew Laughing

Right, so let's get down to brass tacks. The caravan was, prior to the incident, rocking 4 matching wheels - that's exactly the standard it should be repaired to.

It's a bit like having a door repaired on a car and the insurer saying well we got you a door but it's blue and your car is red, but it's functional so therefore we're done here. Not a chance.

As for the other wheels, they're effectively trying to force their salvage onto you as your responsibility. You don't want 3 spare wheels and they're not your problem.

Typical junior handling overthinking of the liability position. They've cost themselves more to administer the claim than they've saved in the outlay. Ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the letter before action...

Ins is regulated by FCA

Just raise the complaint on the phone/email/letter, does not have to be with your handler. Failure to log it will cost them £££....
If they can't resolve in 8 weeks, or before if they issue a deadlock letter. You have the right to go to the FCA and get a ruling. That will cost them far more than £200.

But why are they charging you for the wheels. Surely they will be keeping the old ones.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them have the three so you get four. If they want to sell the three afterwards that's down to them.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for all the responses Thumbs Up

I took advice from other sources too, and as a result last night I emailed the CEO of the firm. Only because that is direct, quick action - it lands on the CEO desk in the morning and she hands it off straight away to be resolved - I hope.

9am this morning I had a response from their PA saying they would look in to it.

15.00 I've had a phonecall from their senior claims manager telling me he will respond within 24 hours.

Next step, complaint/letter before action if not resolved satisfactorily by the end of this week.

Mpd - there are sets on ebay, not the same as mine though and to be honest why should I fuck around buying unknown wheels off ebay when the insurance should buy me a full new set?

Skud/ iooi - I explained to the insurance company that they were welcome to collect the undamaged wheels and sell them to recoup their costs, but surprise surprise, they did not want to follow this course of action....

Arry - I tried to explain to them that if their own car came back with a yellow door and their car was black they'd go fucking bananas, but they trotted out the same phrase - "it is not company policy/not covered by the insurance policy" etc etc.

Wonko - I am planning on taking them for compensation, but want to have the whole thing done and dusted so I can tot up the total loses/outlay/stress/loss of family time etc Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:50 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Next step, complaint/letter before action if not resolved satisfactorily by the end of this week.

Why do we even bother?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

Next step, complaint/letter before action if not resolved satisfactorily by the end of this week.:

Borg.... Well I guess after 20 months.... What difference will a few more days make Laughing

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
J4mes wrote:

Why do we even bother?

Bother with what? Ignoring the original question and going with the standard response of letter/court?

Has my email to the CEO, which was the original question, not yielded a huge shift in attitude from the company already?

Would the letter/court be any more effective? For Sure? In the timescale that emailing the CEO has?

More than one way to skin a cat?

Iooi- exactly Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

Arry - I tried to explain to them that if their own car came back with a yellow door and their car was black they'd go fucking bananas, but they trotted out the same phrase - "it is not company policy/not covered by the insurance policy" etc etc.

Company policy has nout to do with it. They're effectively remedying claim for a property damage from a third party before it hits court. The policy they've issued to their client (the repairer) covers the insured's legal liability for bodily injury or third party property damage arising out of the business within the period of insurance.

You have no contract with them; you owe them no adherence to conditions or are not subject to any of their limitations. You are merely entitled to what you would be entitled to if you took the case to court and won. They're just cutting out the bloke in the silly wig, because they know if it went to court they'd be liable, and they'd be paying for it anyway plus all the associated costs.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used alloys has not been discussed or offered. The insurance company have already agreed to buy 4 brand new alloys, the sticking point is the salvage value of the old alloys and who takes ownership of them, as well as the time its taking to decide.

No luck required in securing 4 brand new alloys. Just plenty of moaning and time.

So pipe down Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Ignoring the original question and going with the standard response of letter/court?

Standard response is a complaint, clearly worded as such, at the first possible opportunity.

You can and should do so in parallel with your wizard wheeze, not after you get mugged off yet again.

Why do we even bother?

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Why should they buy a full new set of 4 wheels for one being damaged?

What’s wrong with a good condition second hand replacement? Your wheels are hardly new.

Sounds like trying to get a free upgrade through the insurance. Good luck, I suspect you’ll need it.

And if that "good condition second hand replacement" happens to be a dud. Said dud then fails on motorway, causing a crash killing people, what then? Go after the seller?

Just like on eBay, I can sell a laptop in 'perfect working order', but realistically all I can confirm is it does the job it's meant to at that very moment.

Insurance companies are very risk averse, especially motor insurance, even more so as margins are shit. My company pulled out of that market for that exact reason. Our current biggie is cryptocurrency and how to protect something that is not tangible.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:49 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What’s wrong with a good condition second hand replacement? Your wheels are hardly new.

I'd want new. Regardless of cost.

Someone drives into my 2016 GTR, if they offered me a 2015 GTR with 1 owner, I'd still reject.

If you inconvenience me, prepare to get out the wallet.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Why should they buy a full new set of 4 wheels for one being damaged?

Sounds like trying to get a free upgrade through the insurance. Good luck, I suspect you’ll need it.

because they can't get a matching single wheel, so the set should match otherwise the op's caravan value is compromised and he may be looking to sell in a few years and get a different sleeping box on wheels that meets a change in his use of it.

The OP is entitled to his sleeping box on wheels being repaired to the standard it was before the incident, this involves matching wheels.

The issue is actually the fact that the insurance are saying "three wheels are fine, we'll cover 90% of the costs and you'll have to sell the three un-damaged wheels to get all of your money back"

it's similar to "we're sorry our driver ran over your bike while it was parked, your bike was worth £2500, the written off tangle of metal that was your bike, we think is worth £1000, so we'll pay you £1500 and leave you to chance your arm on ebay to get the other £1000"

I know some people do buy the salvage and fix / sell but even Paddy would be miffed if someone forced him to have it to make up the full costs of the claim.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Someone drives into my 2016 GTR, if they offered me a 2015 GTR with 1 owner, I'd still reject.

What about a 2015 GTR that's in better condition than your 2016 was, and has a silly amount already spent on some serious upgrades and fancy aftermarket parts?

I'd want the best cleanest car, and if it happened to have some huge amount of aftermarket parts making it a higher spec, then it's all good! Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

What about a 2015 GTR that's in better condition than your 2016 was, and has a silly amount already spent on some serious upgrades and fancy aftermarket parts?

I'd want the best cleanest car, and if it happened to have some huge amount of aftermarket parts making it a higher spec, then it's all good! Laughing

Still no. I want it new and not fucked. Aftermarket parts don't add value to me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, J4mes wrote:
15.00 I've had a phonecall from their senior claims manager telling me he will respond within 24 hours.

I'm glad it's all cleared up by now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2