Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of quitting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Thinking of quitting Reply with quote

Hey everyone, hope you are all well.

So as the title says, I am thinking of quitting motorbiking. I first started looking into riding because my life felt like it needed a jolt of something, some excitement and new experiences.

I started learning in the Summer of 2016 and I enjoyed it at first. Shortly after I began I developed some serious health problems though that forced me to take some time off and return to it at a later date. Before this however I managed to pass my Mod 1. Well, I came back to riding in the late summer of 2017 and since then I have failed my Mod 2 a grand total of 6 times.

Truth be told, I don't get any thrill from riding anymore. In fact, I am bored out of my mind even at 70mph. Considering this and the amount of money I have thrown into learning so far (£3000+ including gear) I just get depressed at the thought of booking another Mod 2.

Lately I've been pretty close a few times to just throwing my gear into the wheelie bin and saying "sod it" and cutting my losses. I am not doing too well financially, my business took a terrible hit last year and I'm struggling to recover. At the same time I am supposed to be saving for a Mortgage so I am very conscious of every penny that leaves my bank/wallet.

I guess what I want to ask is, should I keep trying for my license despite my circumstances or should I just cut my losses and move on? I mean, I currently don't enjoy riding at all but I don't know if that would change if I got my license and was able to ride on my own? I only have until July until my 2 years is up and if I wanted to get back into it after that I'd be starting from scratch.

What do you reckon? Since I am so close do I continue or if I hate it now will I always hate it and thus getting my license is a waste of time and money?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding a bike and the ability to pass tests will still be waiting for you when you have less pressures than at present.

Cut your losses.

Bye loser.

or

Prove me wrong and ride down to the BCF BBQ and slap me across my stupid face.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
Truth be told, I don't get any thrill from riding anymore.

Is that whilst under instruction or on your own on a tiddler? If it's the former have you tried a tiddler?

I don't want to sound like a dick but if you fail that many times something is wrong, it's up to you if you want to stick at it but some practice on your own might be beneficial, assuming you're not Maureen from driving school bad Smile

What do you keep failing on?

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Thinking of quitting Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
I have failed my Mod 2 a grand total of 6 times.

Change something, be that instructor, bike, or test area. If you've passed MOD1 you can actually ride a bike. Clearly just redoing the test over and over is causing a block of some sort.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

LIB3RTY
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:06 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never rode on my own, always with my instructor.

Here are the reasons I failed:

1st - Road positioning. I gave enough room for an arsehole in a BMW to undertake me on a right hand turn.

2nd - Lost control of the vehicle. Did an emergency stop at a mini round about when an old biddy pulled out on my right without looking, put my left foot down on wet leaves and nearly dropped the bike.

3rd - Too close to a Bus on dual carriageway (I disputed this).

4th - Vomited in my helmet and had to stop (Health problems rearing their ugly head again).

5th - Called an end to it myself due to terrible nausea, feared vomiting in my helmet again and was having difficulty concentrating on road signs etc.

6th - Overtook slow moving car on dual carriageway then was asked perhaps a few hundred yards from a round about that we were turning left. The left lane was full of traffic so I deemed it safer to remain in the Right lane and go around the round about, coming off at the exit I would have taken if I were in the left lane. I disputed this one too but the examiner said I was wrong to do so.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
Overtook slow moving car on dual carriageway then was asked perhaps a few hundred yards from a round about that we were turning left. The left lane was full of traffic so I deemed it safer to remain in the Right lane and go around the round about, coming off at the exit I would have taken if I were in the left lane. I disputed this one too but the examiner said I was wrong to do so.

Did you appeal? I missed the exit on my test so we went round again. They can't AFAIK fail you for going the wrong way.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...you're getting failed on whims.

I made some goofs on my test but I passed because I 'looked' like I was confident.

Next time spit on the floor and ride it like you stole it (within the law etc etc).

[edit] remove helmet b4 spitting.

Last edited by Howling Terror on 22:07 - 23 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boredom and fatigue of a particular activity always happens. It's a very human thing to happen.

Eventually the thrill vanishes and you have to do something to get it back either changing it or trying something different.

Way back a lot of us got bored of carving Snake pass. So we carved the A675. We got bored of that so went street racing. We got bored of that so we race in heavy traffic Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh number 4, was there a few times on my CBT(s).
Hiatus hernia so I'm with you there.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:12 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your examiner is quite possibly being a dick, or doesn't like the cut of your jib. No offence (no more than usual) but are you obviously a spacker of some sort?

Throwing up in your lid isn't right though. Why are you even riding if that's a likelihood? Are DVLA aware of your condition?

If you're not enjoying it, sack it off. It's a pleasure activity.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mc said

They can't fail you for going the wrong way if you go wrong way correctly

I did on car test and passed

PS buy a flipfront lid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it up as you don't need a bike, and having one and a licence doesn't sound like it's going to help you financially or save money, which you need to be doing.

Work on the business and get it back to very healthy again instead. That way next time you decide to get your bike licence, you might be turning up at bike meets on an MV Augusta soon after.

I think your reasons were possibly wrong for getting into bikes in the first place. Saying you needed a shot of something exciting and a new challenge in your life ain't an amazing reason to start riding a bike, and it says more about you and your life, than it does about trying out a new form of transport for a laugh.

If I were coming into bikes today from ground zero, as a mature never sat on a bike in my life person, then I'd need a bloody good reason as to why I wanted or needed a bike on today's roads.

If I couldn't justify or convince myself it was for cost or time saving on my commute, or because I had friends all going on interesting continental adventures, and felt like I was missing out etc, then I'd not bother to get a licence to use any road transport on the fucked road and traffic infrastructure we have today.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Give it up as you don't need a bike, and having one and a licence doesn't sound like it's going to help you financially or save money, which you need to be doing.

Work on the business and get it back to very healthy again instead. That way next time you decide to get your bike licence, you might be turning up at bike meets on an MV Augusta soon after.

I think your reasons were possibly wrong for getting into bikes in the first place. Saying you needed a shot of something exciting and a new challenge in your life ain't an amazing reason to start riding a bike, and it says more about you and your life, than it does about trying out a new form of transport for a laugh.

If I were coming into bikes today from ground zero, as a mature never sat on a bike in my life person, then I'd need a bloody good reason as to why I wanted or needed a bike on today's roads.

If I couldn't justify or convince myself it was for cost or time saving on my commute, or because I had friends all going on interesting continental adventures, and felt like I was missing out etc, then I'd not bother to get a licence to use any road transport on the fucked road and traffic infrastructure we have today.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Eeyore.gif

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 23 Jan 2018    Post subject: Why bother? Reply with quote

You have no interest in motorcycling, just want something new to do. You can afford to throw money at it, but have no capacity to learn from your mistakes. A bad teacher and bad pupli will forever fail.

And..anyhoo...you can go faster on a jet ski, and leave the roads safer for the rest of us.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, and it;s a big if, you decide to carry on you need a new riding school and a different test centre.

You have 'FAILURE' written all over at the moment and need a completely new approach.

Saying that, you have a struggling business and are wanting to buy a house. I presume you have a wife as well?

Why are you even bothering with a bike, there are much more important priorities in your life.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Thinking of quitting Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:

Lately I've been pretty close a few times to just throwing my gear into the wheelie bin and saying "sod it" and cutting my losses

What do you reckon? Since I am so close do I continue or if I hate it now will I always hate it and thus getting my license is a waste of time and money?

Just buy a wee itsy ickle bike, and join the enlightened. I doubt I'll ever own anything bigger than a 300 again. Haven't ridden a 1litre bike for over six years.

If you do quit, don't throw your gear in the wheelie bin, give it to me, not your crash helmet though -you threw up in that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:27 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most concerning thing about this thread is that Tef hasn't responded yet.

He's.

Still.

Typing.

Pale

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP : I’d say to you “man the f*ck up and get on with it”
Woe is me and boo hoo won’t get you passed you test/mod2.

Determination, practice, and a big gulp of “man the f*ck up” is more likely to get you through.

Or you could get a new hobby like collecting stamps Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Oi pepperami Reply with quote

I think that's what I insinuated.....minus the teffing!

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:58 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a different school, explain that you're a bit of a spastic and try again. You might find that you get on with the new school and the enjoyment will creep back in.

The roundabout thing is a bit shitty, I don't see anything wrong with going round it to reach your lane, then again we can't see how much of a gap there was for you to pull in to the correct lane. I doubt the examiner would've told you to get into a lane that wasn't available.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:41 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still havent said if its a 125 or a 600 test you are taking...

no-one gets a thrill from a 125..

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually want to ride a motorcycle? Serious question. It's not mandatory, you know.

Also Sunk Costs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
no-one gets a thrill from a 125..

Yes they do......
16 year-olds get a thrill from riding mopeds for gawds sake & 17 year olds think a 125 is awesome after that, and a warped cognoscenti have discovered that the oft ridiculed tiddler derided and not taken seriously by so many doesn't have to be taken seriously, and a little bike, of limited performance, you not only can, but are almost compelled to ride to the ragged edge of its capabilities, just to make adequate progress, rather than sat on something with a shear excess of performance, you can rarely even use, let alone exploit very often, is actually very demanding, very engaging, incredibly rewarding, and ultimately a heck of a lot more fun, than sat little more than a passenger with influence, on something that could go very very fast, without any real effort required to do so.

125's can be and often are as fast as any other motorcycle is legally allowed to go in this country, can break just as many speed limits and other road laws, and face the exact same dangers faced by any other bike of any capacity along the way. They just have a smaller hole in the engine where fire happens!

LIB3RTY wrote:
I've never rode on my own, always with my instructor

To-Be-Honest, the list of test travesties, suggest to me, a rider that the examiner has failed because it obviously hasn't 'clicked' with him, and a bit of time on a tiddler, biting back the ego and expectation and aspiration, and doing a little learning actually may be no bad thing.

OP's commentary and ire at not being granted the pass he is convinced he deserves, suggestions that his attitude and aspirations are askew as much as anything, and the examiner has picked up that as well.

LIB3RTY wrote:
1st - Road positioning. I gave enough room for an arsehole in a BMW to undertake me on a right hand turn.

If you have left eough room for some-one to stuff a car up the inside on a bend?!?!?! Yeah... that sounds like pretty poor road positioning!

What is the relevence of the bloke that pased driving a BMW, and what is it that suggests they are an arsehole? Passing you, or driving a BMW or both?

LIB3RTY wrote:
2nd - Lost control of the vehicle. Did an emergency stop at a mini round about when an old biddy pulled out on my right without looking, put my left foot down on wet leaves and nearly dropped the bike.

Err.. lost control.. yeah..... you did the e-stop on mod 1, right? So, on Mod 2, on the road, you binned it! Not Good!

And again, what is the pertinance of what caused you to perform an e-stop? And how does that suddenly warrant a derogatory description of her as a blind old biddy? Most car drivers dont pay that much attension to anything on the roads and even fewer pay much attenson to bikes, how was this one any different?

It's a pretty typical every day senario, you are expected to have the ablity to contend with 'safely' every day, as a qualifed regular rider!

But, oh, boo-hoo, you paid for an expensive DAS Mod-2and dd't get what you hoped for your money, so, blame the other driver, blame the boot, blame the weather, blame the leaves... and argue with the examiner!

LIB3RTY wrote:
3rd - Too close to a Bus on dual carriageway (I disputed this).

So, in your vast experience of failng tests, some-how you believe that your opinion of what is requred to pass a motorcycle test, is more authoratitive than the bloke who'se not just a qualified rider, but qualified examiner?

LIB3RTY wrote:
4th - Vomited in my helmet and had to stop (Health problems rearing their ugly head again).

5th - Called an end to it myself due to terrible nausea, feared vomiting in my helmet again and was having difficulty concentrating on road signs etc.

Err, yeah... you wren't in fit state to ride, what's the problem? Do you thik the examer should have accepted a note from mummy you were ill that day, ad gven you a pass cert out of pitty?

LIB3RTY wrote:
6th - Overtook slow moving car on dual carriageway then was asked perhaps a few hundred yards from a round about that we were turning left. The left lane was full of traffic so I deemed it safer to remain in the Right lane and go around the round about, coming off at the exit I would have taken if I were in the left lane. I disputed this one too but the examiner said I was wrong to do so.

Suggestion that you shouldn't have undertaken alterative manouver by the examiner, implies that at source, your judgement was in error, and you either shouldn't have passed the car to start with, or you actually did have the time to safely complete that manouver before tackling the roud-about.

But again, as learner you consider your opinion of higer merit than the examiner.

IF you performed your 'alternatve' manouver without causing hazard, it should't have been automatc fail, so either you did cause hazard, and made another road-user change speed or direction, or the way you undertook your alternative manouver, contained enough instances of inconsstency or slack practice to rank up and add to minors on the ticket.

There's a lot more not beng told in ths list than there is, and what there is, is a lot of ire at the examier, who didn't give you the ticket you'd hoped for, rather than any sense that you have learned from his comments

Back to tiddlers... in this instance, if OP doesn't just give up, then a little humility and time on a tiddler, getting some real road experience, learning just how often we have to contend with arsehole BMW drivers and blind old biddies, necrotic on a schedule bus-drivers, rubble scattering tipper trucks, random kiddie carriers and the terror-taxis, could be a pretty useful bit of learning experience, learning to actually anticipate these regular and frequent hazards, and contend with them, rather than look for 'Thrills' and excuses, could be well worth-while.

Public roads are not a race track or theme park; if thrills or exiting life-style activities are sought, then, there are plenty, from jet-skis, to hang-gliders, to roller-coasters, or casinos, or amusement arcades, or massage parlors, or or or ad-infinitum.

If that 'excitement' s what the OP craves, then maybe, yeah, he should give up, he's looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place, with the wrong attitudes and the wrong expectations, before he even starts...

Otherwise, There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
.. [/i]

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first tests in Swansea test centre and learned with ex-police officers who were not very confidence inspiring. I failed my Mod 2 then decided to re-book with a different test centre, decided on Farnborough and passed straight away with 1 minor.

Change location, give yourself a fresh start.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3