Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of quitting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Thinking of quitting Reply with quote

LIB3RTY wrote:
Hey everyone, hope you are all well.

So as the title says, I am thinking of quitting motorbiking. I first started looking into riding because my life felt like it needed a jolt of something, some excitement and new experiences.

I started learning in the Summer of 2016 and I enjoyed it at first. Shortly after I began I developed some serious health problems though that forced me to take some time off and return to it at a later date. Before this however I managed to pass my Mod 1. Well, I came back to riding in the late summer of 2017 and since then I have failed my Mod 2 a grand total of 6 times.

Truth be told, I don't get any thrill from riding anymore. In fact, I am bored out of my mind even at 70mph. Considering this and the amount of money I have thrown into learning so far (£3000+ including gear) I just get depressed at the thought of booking another Mod 2.

Lately I've been pretty close a few times to just throwing my gear into the wheelie bin and saying "sod it" and cutting my losses. I am not doing too well financially, my business took a terrible hit last year and I'm struggling to recover. At the same time I am supposed to be saving for a Mortgage so I am very conscious of every penny that leaves my bank/wallet.

I guess what I want to ask is, should I keep trying for my license despite my circumstances or should I just cut my losses and move on? I mean, I currently don't enjoy riding at all but I don't know if that would change if I got my license and was able to ride on my own? I only have until July until my 2 years is up and if I wanted to get back into it after that I'd be starting from scratch.

What do you reckon? Since I am so close do I continue or if I hate it now will I always hate it and thus getting my license is a waste of time and money?

if financially possible, why not take the exam
you dont have to buy a bike straight away after passing the exam
i wait 1 year to get my first big bike after passing my exam
having a full license mean you can always decide when do you want to come back biking
there will be many obstacles in biking, may be pressure from family, may be terrorized after a crash. That's fine, having a full license mean i could take a break at any point and come back later

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:03 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misheard my examiner on my mod 2 and took the 2nd exit on a roundabout and not the 1st which she took. I had to stop, u turn when safe, renegotiate the roundabout and pull up at the side of the road to apologise to her - she was furious. But still passed me so I can't see the issue with it for the op.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
you still havent said if its a 125 or a 600 test you are taking...

no-one gets a thrill from a 125..

Fairly certain he wouldn't repeatedly go back to a school for an A1 license Razz

I agree with the others, try a different test centre if they were all at the same location.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I misheard my examiner on my mod 2 and took the 2nd exit on a roundabout and not the 1st which she took. I had to stop, u turn when safe, renegotiate the roundabout and pull up at the side of the road to apologise to her - she was furious. But still passed me so I can't see the issue with it for the op.

Sounds like a bit of a bitch, I can't follow directions for shit, and have wank hearing.
I veered off the wrong exit on a roundabout a couple of times during Mod 2, albeit safely.
The examiner mentioned both afterwards but he had no emotion either way.
Granted that may have just been because most DVSA Dereks are cold emotionless creatures. (and rightly so)

My memory isn't always 100% on the minutia, but isn't the examiner typically behind you on the test, not in front?
How did your idiot one manage to see you go past the first exit, and then continue to take it anyway.
Sounds like you were doing your 'job' more than she was. Very Happy

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a route i really didnt want to go . i just went the other way and blamed the radio Very Happy as long as you are safe and make progress they dont mind which way you go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
there was a route i really didnt want to go . i just went the other way and blamed the radio Very Happy as long as you are safe and make progress they dont mind which way you go.

Interesting tactics Smile From reading stories on here I got a bit of a complex about failing near the end of the test, so approaching the test centre there was a row of cars on my left, with a side turning just beyond them and a van waiting to pull out.

I stayed on the 'correct' side of the road to stay sort of hidden, as I didn't want to get involved with the van, which pulled out and drove past me. Anyhoo that was my second minor for clearance. I'm not sure if I avoided a dangerous situation/instant fail or nearly f**ked my test up Thinking

I also went right at an unmarked mini-roundabout from the middle lane, mainly cos I was on a stupidly heavy 650 Bandit and was a bit anxious about the weight at low speed, and the right lane was really tight. I was told had a car been behind he'd have failed me Neutral

tl;dr don't overthink things, or maybe do, I dunno...

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel bad for you mate. Everything has been said before so just wish you the best of luck.

It is impossible to get bored on a bike. Near death experience is good for the soul.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you something that helped me. On your next test, pretend that the examiner is a sat nav. Take each instruction your asked and just concentrate on doing that one task, talk it through out loud before doing it and go through all the steps to execute that one manoeuvre. Once that one is out of the way forget about it and concentrate on the next.

Breaking the test down into smaller bite sized parts really helped me. I pretty much aced mine by doing this.

I also found shouting loud into the helmet helped. No one can hear you so you can just shout absolute bollocks.. it gets the stress out.

HTH

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Tell you something that helped me. On your next test, pretend that the examiner is a sat nav.

My examiner kept repeating my name twice as he gave an instruction, which made me think he was about to tell me I was in mortal danger Laughing I think he realised this as he stopped doing it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for trying something new probably isn't a good enough reason to get into bikes. I had an enthusiasm for them before I was old enough to ride (legally), which came from my brother and his mates, who were all mad for it. Being taken pillion on their bikes sparked my love for it, and desire to get riding.

When I did get my first two-wheeler, I had mates who were just starting out too, so it was about the places we went and things we did. We all got fed up with our learner bikes pretty soon, but that just made us want to pass our tests all the more, so we could get something bigger and start to enjoy what it's really all about. Learner bikes suck. They're not a reason to ride in and of themselves, but merely a means to an end.

If you have no mates interested in riding, no desire to go racing, touring, exploring, or just enjoying your local country lanes, and generally no enthusiasm for it, then pack it in.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:48 - 24 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read all the replies apart from Tefs.

I tend to agree with the you're a Mummy's boy spacko theme.

However on a more positive note, shouting into your helmet may be on the right lines.

Many years ago when my daughter was show jumping (them fences are fookin high), her teacher told her to sing out loud. After a while she could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

So try booming out the funky gibbon next time you take Mod2.
Good luck Smile
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:

my examiner is really nice
he told me turn right at the next junction, and somehow i turn on my left indicator, he notice and said to me again, we turn right at the next junction Laughing

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than lessons and test, have you ever ridden a motorbike? Have you been in a 125 on your own? Much different experience being free without anyone looking over your shoulder.

Tiddlers are fun for 6 months- 1 year. I loved my ybr.

Difficult to know whether you like it if you've had no freedom.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken strip's reply x100!

I didn't have a choice in my child hood of not being into bikes and cars from as soon as I could open books and look at the pictures.

I still remember being 7-8, walking to school past a fucking huge scary Katana 1100 two houses up the road. The thing was as imposing as a fire engine with the blue lights and sirens on.

I get the 40somethings that had their nice cars phase and never got into bikes in the day, but are making up for it now. Or the never ridden a bike types who want to tour adventure and explore using an ideal method of transport.

I probably get the 'ex jockeys/show jumpers' who have fell off too many times and bashed their bodies up, yet still wanting to have something big and hot to straddle too.

I just don't quite understand your reason/backstory for wanting to start riding bikes other than because?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otoh my own biking motivations were vague at best. I'd more or less unconsciously accepted the view that they're simply too dangerous, many years ago. I knew jack shit about any makes or models - the only bikes I stood any even remote chance of identifying were rd350ypvs and tzr250, and seeing as those had become scarce decades ago, even this tiny slice of "knowledge" was utterly useless. Fuck knows quite why and how I blundered into it all at such a late stage. Totally bizarre. Not that bothered about anything mechanical. Could service a push iron, that was about it. But now bikes and biking are about all I ever think about and do.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I still remember being 7-8, walking to school past a fucking huge scary Katana 1100 two houses up the road. The thing was as imposing as a fire engine with the blue lights and sirens on.

My local version of that was a Benelli 900 Sei in red and black. It had the little nose "fairing" off the Guzzi LeMans Mk1, and I always remember it in bright sunshine, as if it could create summer Smile But fuck me, was it loud on the occasions I saw it go past!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

My local version of that was a Benelli 900 Sei in red and black. It had the little nose "fairing" off the Guzzi LeMans Mk1, and I always remember it in bright sunshine, as if it could create summer Smile But fuck me, was it loud on the occasions I saw it go past!

My version was riding on the back of my uncles circa 1980's road worthy motocross, then later seeing the Ducati 916... guy at the end of the road had one in 1994 I believe. I had a poster on my wall with Carl Foggy on the back wheel.

Always had that excited butterflies feeling, like a small orgasm, whenever a bike went past. Took me until 23yo before I finally went for it and got a YBR for commuting in London. Fucking loved every second.. I'd be in work watching the clock waiting to finish so I could ride it again.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Tiddlers are fun for 6 months- 1 year.

I had mine for a year, 6-12 months was painful. If you're riding everyday (commuting for example) then a few months should be enough IMO.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Bubbs wrote:
My version was riding on the back of my uncles circa 1980's road worthy motocross, then later seeing the Ducati 916... guy at the end of the road had one in 1994 I believe. I had a poster on my wall with Carl Foggy on the back wheel.

Always had that excited butterflies feeling, like a small orgasm, whenever a bike went past. Took me until 23yo before I finally went for it and got a YBR for commuting in London. Fucking loved every second.. I'd be in work watching the clock waiting to finish so I could ride it again.

So, OP, if you've never had feelings like the above, or never been stirred in some other way by motorcycles, probably best get a car Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:03 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I had mine for a year, 6-12 months was painful.

With hindsight, perhaps. If you don't know any better, you don't know what you're missing out on.

[Goes to look for an MSX 125]

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if all your sole riding is a commute that never leaves city limits, or urban sprawl then a 125 will always be enough and never stretched beyond its abilitys. If all your commute is across rush hour city traffic with 20 and 30mph limits, a 50cc will be enough too. Well unless your one of those superbike stuck in first gear heroes that is. Wink

If you don't need or ever ride a bike for anything other than summer evening cruises to the pub then anything from a 125> is all you need.

Its only real commuters that ride long hard distances on big fast roads daily that need real motorbikes, as do the adventurers, long distance tourers and track day riders. Maybe the keeping up with their mates on superbikes every Sunday types too, but that's it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:48 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Your examiner is quite possibly being a dick, or doesn't like the cut of your jib. No offence (no more than usual) but are you obviously a spacker of some sort?

Throwing up in your lid isn't right though. Why are you even riding if that's a likelihood? Are DVLA aware of your condition?

OP has gone very quiet since you asked those questions. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:25 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I had mine for a year, 6-12 months was painful.

With hindsight, perhaps. If you don't know any better, you don't know what you're missing out on.

[Goes to look for an MSX 125]

At the time Wink Took about 3 months for me to start getting bored of it. Even not having ridden anything more powerful, I still knew I was on an underpowered POS.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Also if all your sole riding is a commute that never leaves city limits, or urban sprawl then a 125 will always be enough and never stretched beyond its abilitys. If all your commute is across rush hour city traffic with 20 and 30mph limits, a 50cc will be enough too. Well unless your one of those superbike stuck in first gear heroes that is. Wink

If you don't need or ever ride a bike for anything other than summer evening cruises to the pub then anything from a 125> is all you need.

Its only real commuters that ride long hard distances on big fast roads daily that need real motorbikes, as do the adventurers, long distance tourers and track day riders. Maybe the keeping up with their mates on superbikes every Sunday types too, but that's it.

I disagree. I used to have cars up my rear end on big hills, and struggled on urban A roads on windy days. As for a 50cc you might as well be on a bicycle. We have a fleet at work and the guys who ride them are subject to rage overtakes all the time.

Lowest I'd go now, even in a city is a 250cc (assuming 4-stroke/restricted 2-strokes).

Last edited by M.C on 03:30 - 27 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

ringsound
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:30 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

bigger power bike give you the ability to pull out of danger faster, over take and more comfortable cruising at speed limit
i ride within speed limit 99.9% of time but i still prefer a mid range engine 600-800 bike

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much pulling out of danger or fast safe overtakes to be done in rush hour inner city travel, where it's all 20,30mph limits, maybe with the odd 40mph ring road thrown in though.

Bigger bikes are great if and when you have the roads to use them on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3