Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

155mph bikers caught by bike copper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: 155mph bikers caught by bike copper Reply with quote

Doing 144 Laughing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-42812086/motorcyclists-clocked-speeding-at-155mph-near-norwich

Stern sentences will be called for as many kittens were killed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jail time for them then, unlike the bloke doing 155 in his S4 in the news this week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5299221/Speeding-62-year-old-driver-hits-155mph-motorway.html

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 men and 2 women.

That will be an interesting conundrum for the judge. How don we jail the men and let the women off with a stern talking to as all women are victims at the moment Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:56 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Jail time for them then, unlike the bloke doing 155 in his S4 in the news this week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5299221/Speeding-62-year-old-driver-hits-155mph-motorway.html

Crème de menthe Copper wrote:
I was shocked to see someone driving at such high speeds. You can see from the footage just how dangerous it was.

Then why did you do it?

Likewise, "had to" do that speed to catch the kitten killaz.

Dangerous for them, but not for Bike Dredd?

Let's see the video of his initial interaction with them.

Also: not in uniform, so no offence committed by ignoring him.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Then why did you do it?

Because justice trumps safety - just ask the IOPC; it's better to choke a homie than it is let him get away with hiding his stash.

Rogerborg wrote:

Dangerous for them, but not for Bike Dredd?

Because training YO. Licence to Offside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Because justice trumps safety - just ask the IOPC; it's better to choke a homie than it is let him get away with hiding his stash.

unless he byklyf, then let him go

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch a byklyf by the toe?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media like to use the speed used "to catch up" as an indication of how fast they must have been going.
There seems to be an astonishing logic deficit but it's not PC to allow any criticism.
The video showed little evidence of dangerous riding or even particularly excessive speed for a relatively quiet dual carriageway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The video showed little evidence of dangerous riding or even particularly excessive speed for a relatively quiet dual carriageway.

The only thing it appeared to provide evidence of was Bike Dredd riding like a maniac.

Oh, one to save for when you're tugged for having a hand off of the controls (pre Rainpal®). Apparently it's perfectly safe if you're not looking where you're going while gesticulating angrily.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they've cut a lot, I don't see he was following behind them for long enough to get a good speed reading on a calibrated speedo or vascar system. If it was laser, we'd have looking at bike cam footage, not helmet cam. So has he measured their speed at all? Is he even equipped with a means of measuring speed?

You'd have a hard job showing dangerous driving or even without care and attention by the footage I saw there

Worth retaining a decent barrister and an outraged sense of denial throughout I'd suggest. Unless they've already been stupid enough to talk to the police and admitted it. Trouble is, if one of them does, he's fucked over his mates too. There was that nippy case in Yorkshire where the judge did the guy at the front of a pack for the speed they caught the back marker doing.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
3 men and 2 women.

That will be an interesting conundrum for the judge. How don we jail the men and let the women off with a stern talking to as all women are victims at the moment Laughing

John, Paul and Ringo get 18 months suspended.
Agnetha and Anni get 18hrs in suspenders, at the private gentleman's club.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Unless they've cut a lot

Well obviously they have - at 0:10 the cop is at 144 mph, and after the cut, at 0:11, he's at 88mph. So plenty of time to do them properly and slow down.

stinkwheel wrote:
Unless they've already been stupid enough to talk to the police and admitted it

Hmm. I reckon if you get tugged by a bike cop doing silly speeds, then if you weren't being really reckless then the one chance you might have of getting away with it is deploying a sheepish grin and a 'fair cop, guv' and hoping for leniency. Especially if you happen to be female. Playing hardball and hoping to get off on a technicality sounds a bit desperate to me

Also, I don't know what the rulez are for getting done for an offence like this (ie, as opposed to doing 35 in a 30); but here's a recent example of a biker getting an 8-months' suspended where the only evidence came from the helmet cam of his mate riding behind, after he went through a hedge...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Also, I don't know what the rulez are for getting done for an offence like this (ie, as opposed to doing 35 in a 30); but here's a recent example of a biker getting an 8-months' suspended where the only evidence came from the helmet cam of his mate riding behind, after he went through a hedge...

I'd assume it was for dangerous driving rather than a straight speeding offence.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:03 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Hmm. I reckon if you get tugged by a bike cop doing silly speeds, then if you weren't being really reckless then the one chance you might have of getting away with it is deploying a sheepish grin and a 'fair cop, guv' and hoping for leniency. Especially if you happen to be female. Playing hardball and hoping to get off on a technicality sounds a bit desperate to me

Have to disagree.

I'd suggest if you're riding with me you admit nothing at all to the police other than confirming your name and address. They have to build a case, don't make it easy for them. It's tricky for them to single out one bike from a pack at the best of times.

If I was riding in a pack and landed up in jail because someone couldn't keep their mouth shut leaving me with no defence options, I would be less than happy.

The police ask you stuff to see what else you'll admit to. I'll recount an incident where I was stopped on the M74 which has some paralells with the above article. I'd been sitting at a steady 120 when I saw blue lights in my mirror. I stopped and was cautioned in the back of the car. They said they'd been chasing me for 17 miles at 140mph (see the headline now?). They asked how fast I'd been going. I replied that I was sure they must have a reading since they'd pulled me over, not with some grovelling appology for doing 120.

It turns out they'd not quite finished their vascar run as I saw them and backed off (good obs!). Their reading was 98.6mph which at the time was a 3 points and £60 FPN. What would have happened if I'd admitted to 120?

Of course, what I should have done is slammed on the brakes as soon as i saw them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:47 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory anecdote: I'm 0 for 2 when going contrite, and 1 for 0 when simply laughing at the "I had to do (SPEED LIMIT + 66%)" to catch you line. No need to be hostile, but don't volunteer anything.

Obligatory reference: Don't talk to the police. Septic, but it applies here too. Ignore the "may harm your defence" part, it only means that they can point out in court that you didn't choose to conduct your defence by the roadside.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 21:51 - 25 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:52 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they won't go over a light jog to catch the little 'angles' around London on their stolen peds.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a load of bollocks saying 'oh the conditions and road looked safe enough for 155mph'.

If you get caught doing that sort of speed, and let's be honest you'd know if someone was following or keeping up with you enough to be suspicious, that you deserve whatever book they want to throw at you, or highlight you as an example of lunacy.

If I were caught at that speed, I'd fully expect jail time, and wouldn't be crying and bawwwing, about unfair justice or road policing. TBH you do well to accept that it's go to jail time, lose your job etc, and I'd just make the most of my 5minutes of fame/news headlines, or TV coverage instead.

Ignoring the 70mph UK speed limit for a sec, and accepting the 100mph+ insta ban rule, I think your doing it all wrong on modern busy UK roads if you need more than 99mph to have a shit ton of fun on bikes or in cars. If you need to ride at over 100mph to get off, then you're much better off finding a place thats off the UK highways.

I can't see how anyone thought that they needed to ride at 155mph, and let's be honest if they were doing that, then it would be a bloody boring smooth almost arrow straight road anyway. You might as well be at Santa Pod in that case.

Tldr, maybe they were unlucky or victims of officer dread, but I think they had the wrong roads to have fun, maybe the wrong bikes too? Should have ridden a quiet challenging road that would scare you silly at 80mph if you didn't go over a cliff having a Rossi moment that is.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:53 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think it's a load of bollocks saying 'oh the conditions and road looked safe enough for 155mph'.

Does that apply to the copper too?

If not, why not?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it does!
If the cops need to do 155mph to catch a suspect that probably has done nothing more serious than open the throttle, then it's not a worthwhile amount of risk to continue IMO.

Fuck if they'd robbed a bank at gunpoint or were terrorists strapped to the hilt in explosives then yeah that's a different case.

But for a speeding motorist or even a theft, uninsured driver, disqualified driver or similar, if there's any significant danger to the public in a pursuit then IMO it should be canned.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Of course it does!
If the cops need to do 155mph to catch a suspect that probably has done nothing more serious than open the throttle, then it's not a worthwhile amount of risk to continue IMO.

Fuck if they'd robbed a bank at gunpoint or were terrorists strapped to the hilt in explosives then yeah that's a different case.

But for a speeding motorist or even a theft, uninsured driver, disqualified driver or similar, if there's any significant danger to the public in a pursuit then IMO it should be canned.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not the dangers of leaving 5 bikes travelling at 100+mph poses more danger to the public than the police officer accelerating after them at a higher speed to stop them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not fuck about though, if the real risk of death or serious injury to the public was that high/almost inevitable (not very likely is it?) of five bikers carrying on speeding, then you'd be far better off deploying a stinger or driving a bull dozer out in front of them.

After all they don't mess about trying to apprehend innocent electricians in London tube stations do they!

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:54 - 25 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Let's not fuck about though, if the real risk of death or serious injury to the public was that high/almost inevitable (not very likely is it?) of five bikers carrying on speeding, then you'd be far better off deploying a stinger or driving a bull dozer out in front of them.

I think the real risk here was that of the bikers Darwinising themselves. Deploying a stinger or driving a bull dozer in front of them would only have sped the process up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:24 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

If you get caught doing that sort of speed, and let's be honest you'd know if someone was following or keeping up with you enough to be suspicious, that you deserve whatever book they want to throw at you, or highlight you as an example of lunacy.

I'm pretty sure they weren't riding at 155mph. It was only plod who was doing that. That road was far too busy to be doing 155 and I genuinely can't see them riding in such a tight pack at that speed. I've done some pretty high speed riding in groups in my time and once you start going properly fast, things start to spread out over a long distance.

If the guy at the front was doing 155, I'd expect there to be AT LEAST a mile between the first and fifth bike, tail ender would not be in touch with the pack leader. If blues and twos came up behind them, they'd start dropping off the back one at a time as he caught them up so the lead bike would have landed up absolutely miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

That then leaves the option of the rest of them simply stopping at the side of the road and waiting a bit once he's honked past after the leader. Once they are past you on a dual like that, it's hard for them to get back to you without either calling for backup or coming back down the other side (at which point you set off again).

Being honest, at 155, which I have only done the once, you probably WOULDN'T know if someone was following or keeping up with you on account of having your eyes very firmly peeled and focussed on a point about half a mile ahead of you. Start looking in mirrors and you're instantly up shit creek at that speed, there simply isn't enough time to spare with your eyes "off target".

Would've been funny if they'd starburst in 4 different directions at the top of the sliproad.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR1200 Cool

I think there's a bit of the video we haven't been shown. Anyway, if a stranger's bike is behind you - slow the fuck down. Can't believe they didn't check their mirrors more often tbh.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
VFR1200 Cool

I think there's a bit of the video we haven't been shown. Anyway, if a stranger's bike is behind you - slow the fuck down. Can't believe they didn't check their mirrors more often tbh.

Kris you have come over all sensible in your older age Laughing. Remember when I got pulled over at box hill because the 1.4 astra the old bill was in couldnt keep up with you, Korn, Zimma and G and they were hoping you would come back for me Laughing . Can still see the panic in G's eyes as he tip toed around the round about me and plod were, then suddenly realised what they were doing as i subtly tried to wave him past Shocked Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3