Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Selling item via eBay - best way to be safe?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Selling item via eBay - best way to be safe? Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm selling a ring on eBay. Last thing I want to do is be scammed.

What is the best way for me to be protected if they collect in person?

I've read conflicting posts about collection in person doesn't offer seller protection as there is no delivery tracking etc.

I don't want to sell it via eBay or paypal then they collect and claim they haven't received it so they get the ring and their money back.

What options have I got to make sure I'm protected? Being a ring I can understand collection in person so they can see what they're buying.

Also, if I was to deal outside of eBay, then I believe PayPal only isn't safe still as they can still claim back?

I do believe in cash is king outside of eBay but proving hard to get to this.

Thanks
Jeff

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:54 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is, If they collect in person and pay cash the only scam from that can be fake money. Ebay won't want to know about defects or anything else because the item should have been rejected at that point. If they pay and walk away with it, they have defacto accepted that the item is good.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:32 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Selling item via eBay - best way to be safe? Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
I do believe in cash is king outside of eBay but proving hard to get to this.

You've got a potential buyer who's willing to show up where you live, in order to collect a ring, but doesn't have the cash to pay for it? But he can PayPal you for it, no worries, mate, does it all the time, it's legit.

I reckon I'd tell him to do one, then to do two, and possibly even three.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Selling item via eBay - best way to be safe? Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
I've read conflicting posts about collection in person doesn't offer seller protection as there is no delivery tracking etc

Absolutely right, which is why you should never accept PayPal for 'collection in person'. Having collected your ring, the buyer simply needs to tell PayPal that you haven't posted it out to you, and they will refund him at your expense.

Just accept cash - as TbirdX says, the only thing you have to worry about then is receiving fake money! (The buyer, on the other hand, is vulnerable to your ring being a fake, under which circumstances he's probably be able to get a PayPal refund; but not cash.)

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Not just me being paranoid.

Scenario 1:
Buyer buys through eBay and PayPal. Turns up at house, collects ring, goes home.
I believe I'm right in thinking he can still say not received and I lose ring/money.
Correct?

Scenario 2:
Buyer buys through eBay and pays cash on collection. Turns up at house, collects ring, goes home.
Can they not still claim item not received? Or some sort of excuse that I still have to pay them back even though I received cash?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Not just me being paranoid.

Scenario 1:
Buyer buys through eBay and PayPal. Turns up at house, collects ring, goes home.
I believe I'm right in thinking he can still say not received and I lose ring/money.
Correct?

Scenario 2:
Buyer buys through eBay and pays cash on collection. Turns up at house, collects ring, goes home.
Can they not still claim item not received? Or some sort of excuse that I still have to pay them back even though I received cash?

Either ask them to sign something saying they collected it, or take a photo of them arriving/leaving with said ring (or CCTV of them arriving at your house)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:50 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell to cash buyer only. Turns up with proper legit notes. Otherwise, I'd be fucking them right off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Sell to cash buyer only. Turns up with proper legit notes. Otherwise, I'd be fucking them right off.

Hi Paddy

How would this scenario go down?

Scenario 2:

The buyer currently wants to buy through eBay and PayPal.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be acceptable, but I'd want them to cancel the purchase once they have paid cash, not paypal.

That way, you don't have to pay those horrific fees and he gets a deal on a ring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post on Ebay, cash on collection only.

Offer the ring at a slightly increased buy it now price, but with a 'best offer' option.

When someone sends you an offer, you get to accept or refuse it while giving you the option to message them. Refuse it and tell them you are interested in negotiating the price and to contact you, giving them your mobile number. Once you get a call from them, sell it outside of Ebay, avoiding the fees, then raise the price of the ring on Ebay to something ridiculous like £100k, this will stop anyone hitting the buy it now.

Be happy you have cash and no comebacks and no seller fees.

Boom.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an online as well as in-store retailer - Ebay are trying to eliminate the dealing outside Ebay "marketplace" by hiding contact numbers and addresses and alike until a sale is confirmed and the fee debited. As others have said Paypal and collection is risky - I have a pdf from the police action fraud team warning about the "huge" number of scams of people using Paypal friends and family and then retracting the money once the goods have been passed.

In my opinion the only fail safe ways are complete the process on Ebay and Paypal and post by special delivery so insured and tracked all the way to avoid the "didn't receive it chargeback" or cash on collection not through ebay so no risk to your account or finances that way but obviously there are other factors to consider such has security and privacy at home.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
The buyer currently wants to buy through eBay and PayPal.

Sure, why wouldn't they? You end up paying swingeing fees in order to give them a way to dry bum you with one click.

If it's worth enough that you're bothered by that, I'd take it round some jewellers and even Ca$h4Bling theft-converters and see what the 'street' price is. Unless you're standing to make significantly more (after fees) from this punter, I'd take cash in hand any day.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your buyer isn't too far away, why not deliver it in person and collect the cash there and then?

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy has said he hasn't got the cash. We're talking £750.

He wants to pay via his credit card via PayPal.

He has around 240 feedback which re assures me but I still can't help thinking that he could claim back.

He would be getting the train to my local rail station and collecting it.

I think a note with a signature or pictures of exchange wouldn't stand up for anything if things went south.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:

Scenario 2:

Well they could, but a bit pointless as there's no mechanism whereby you can be forced to give a refund, is there? And anyway under what circumstances could they possibly have claimed to have paid you cash but not actually received the ring in return?

Jefr0 wrote:
The guy has said he hasn't got the cash. We're talking £750. He wants to pay via his credit card via PayPal.
He has around 240 feedback which re assures me but I still can't help thinking that he could claim back

Not a chance - see my last post. If that's genuinely his reason, tell him to go and withdraw the cash on his credit card. It'll cost him interest immediately, but tough. Oh, and one of the only times I've ever got shafted on eBay was by a seller with really high feedback - turned out the guy was completely innocent and had had his account hacked. (I got refunded)

Suntan Sid wrote:
If your buyer isn't too far away, why not deliver it in person and collect the cash there and then?

Makes no difference to eBay/PayPal who delivers or collects.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Suntan Sid wrote:

Makes no difference to eBay/PayPal who delivers or collects.

Well if the seller has the cash in his hands, that's the end of the matter!

Having said that, I agree with the Borg, take it to a jewellers, a dealer or pawn broker and sell it there!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
He has around 240 feedback which re assures me

eBay buyer ratings are meaningless. I've scammed inflicted justice on plenty of sellers after they've given me the required +ve rating.

Jefr0 wrote:
but I still can't help thinking that he could claim back.

That's because he can claim it back.

If the only problem is that he's poor, not that he wants to scam you, you could insist on a PayPal F&F/gift/no-takesy-baksies payment outside of eBay, rather than a purchase payment.

If he balks at that, it's because he wants to scam you.

Jefr0 wrote:
He would be getting the train

https://i.imgur.com/vw2Kk4f.png

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbf, credit card through PayPal was how I bought a bike. I'm not a dishonest tit though. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I have a pdf from the police action fraud team warning about the "huge" number of scams of people using Paypal friends and family and then retracting the money once the goods have been passed.

I didn't think you could for 'gift' payments Confused

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would no more buy or sell gold on ebay than I would a mobile phone UNLESS it was collected in person and paid for in readies. Collect in person and pay via paypal is just begging to be scammed. Might as well throw it in the Thames and save the heartache.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT let that ring go, without cold hard cash in your hand.

If you get cash in hand, there is no way for them to get a refund as no money has passed through eBay or PayPal. They can't confirm a transaction has taken place.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:22 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only accept cash on collection. There is no room for negotiation on that one and you need to completely ignore all sob stories about train tickets, credit cards, bank balances, etc etc etc.

If you accept payment by Paypal for something that's collected in person then you're leaving yourself open to the buyer claiming non delivery.

"I think a note with a signature or pictures of exchange wouldn't stand up for anything if things went south." You're right that it wouldn't stand up for anything.

Cash on collection is king.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:47 - 26 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is concentrating on the buyer saying he hasn't received the item when clearly he would have done and there is a risk he could be evidenced whilst collecting but the real risk especially with something like a ring is the "get out of jail card" Item is not as described.

He confirms he has it, its not fraud
He says its not what you advertised - Its your word against his
If you have no evidence such as receipts and other stuff not pertaining to be the listing then there is a very high chance of a paypal buyer protection claim being granted. I have used this myself when I have purchased something and it really hasn't been as advertised such as a video game pictured with bbfc rating only to recieve it with a asian or american teen rating on meaning it cannot be played online.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:07 - 27 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Only accept cash on collection. There is no room for negotiation

This is why Ste needs to be mod and able to ban everyone who talks jive, or sense, or anything at all.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
My understanding is, If they collect in person and pay cash the only scam from that can be fake money. Ebay won't want to know about defects or anything else because the item should have been rejected at that point. If they pay and walk away with it, they have defacto accepted that the item is good.

The fun and games of eBay make this an issue,

I bought a kids bike via eBay that was collection only.

Ebay would not allow us to exchange contact details until PayPal payment had been made,

it had 'best offer' as an option so after exchanging messages and discussing collection (which e-bay started sending threatening messages to me about) I paid £1 via PayPal and the balance on collection
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2