Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are helmet cams legal in the UK? (side mount)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Are helmet cams legal in the UK? (side mount) Reply with quote

Ok lets preface this with one massive thing, the camera is not to make a youtube star, the idea behind getting one is two fold 1) if I get in an accident i can prove fault (even if its mine as well i know but more on this in a sec*) 2) security, less likely to be hijacked if I am recording....yeah ok they could just take the camera but its about making yourself a less convenient target.
TL;DR THIS IS NOT AS AN ENTERTAINMENT METHOD

Ok thats out of the way.

There are Three mount points that seem popular for these on your helmet.

Chin (man that looks stupid there, yeah best view but yikes) my helmet design does not allow for that and I dont want the camera where I can see it or get distracted by it.

top of head (the teletubby maker lol) yeah, that just looks strange

side of head (only get partial view as the helmet obscures some but is as close to what you can see as possible.....remember the goal here is to be able to prove I looked where I looked and the prat in the BMW was to blame* )

I Brought one next day delivery yesterday after an incident* and now have it, but I see it is illegal to use one in the usa and australia and maybe the uk? something about it effecting the center of balance?

so is it Illegal? what advice do you have?

*the incident, I am a very new rider so far I have been beeped at three times for daring to do no more than 20 mph in a 20mph limit road. got lost in a one way system and walked my bike across half the city (including one road that may of had licence plate recognition that may believe i was riding and fine me, according to a traffic warden). Then there was what happened yesterday, a bmw (I think, was a little shock up) decided I was going to slow so he drove out in front of me from a left hand turn (I had priority, he was supposed to giveway) I saw him edging out so i slowed a little but still had to do an emergency break and came with in a couple of inches of him. He waved at me with one finger and sped off. (I pulled up and counted limbs)
Now I dont know if I did something that caused him to pull out, or if he was just an arse. I lean towards the latter tbh. but the video would of helped me analyze any mistakes I may of made. It would also of meant that had he of hit me I would of had proof (or my next of kin would if, god forbid, the worse had happened)

Anyway as I say what is the legality and advice. (the one I have is the £29.99 Camkong c180 from amazong)

Last edited by TheDaveStream on 21:53 - 28 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along shortly...
Until then, afaik the laws are in regard what you can or cannot attach to a bike, not what you have on your person.

I believe there is a law in regards to things coming loose from a vehicle due to not being secured properly, so just attach stuff properly I guess?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along shortly...
Until then, afaik the laws are in regard what you can or cannot attach to a bike, not what you have on your person.

I believe there is a law in regards to things coming loose from a vehicle due to not being secured properly, so just attach stuff properly I guess?

I did wonder about simply attaching it to my bike, but then I cant prove where I was looking and it is yet another thing to take off and put on lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine mounts R/H side of lid below the visor pivot on the chin guard. Haven't been thrown in jail yet.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mine mounts R/H side of lid below the visor pivot on the chin guard. Haven't been thrown in jail yet.

Is that in the UK, suddenly realised I should put UK in the title

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
I did wonder about simply attaching it to my bike, but then I cant prove where I was looking and it is yet another thing to take off and put on lol

This is true, in reality I wouldn't worry so much about what is or is not legal on the roads though.
I'm assuming you're quite a new rider? You soon learn that the Popo play by their own rules, it's what what they will or will not do you for. (and how often they are around)

People mount helmet cams all the time, never read a news article on someone even being hassled about a properly mounted one.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

Is that in the UK,

Currently yes, despite Tony Blairs best efforts.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

This is true, in reality I wouldn't worry so much about what is or is not legal on the roads though.
I'm assuming you're quite a new rider? You soon learn that the Popo play by their own rules, it's what what they will or will not do you for. (and how often they are around)

People mount helmet cams all the time, never read a news article on someone even being hassled about a properly mounted one.

Yep VERY new.

in terms of properly mounted, I do worry the strength of the adhesive pads for the mounting brackets that come with it...but then it is designed to be used in extreme sports, so me pottering about at 20 to 60mph *should* be ok

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

Is that in the UK,

Currently yes, despite Tony Blairs best efforts.

lol

Ok I cant find any specific laws against it, you guys dont seem to know any, theres plenty of videos on youtube of people using them. gone head and mounted the bracket.

The adhesive appears solid (really dont want to record footage of it flying off and going through a car windscreen!)

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okExHYdMEs4
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 3M curved surface mount that came with my Ghost to stick it to my lid. I'm not looking forward to attempting
to remove it again, it's stuck fast.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I used the 3M curved surface mount that came with my Ghost to stick it to my lid. I'm not looking forward to attempting
to remove it again, it's stuck fast.

Thats the same type I have used so with luck it will be fine. It was only a slight curve though but all the pad is stuck and i can lift the helmet with it...should be good

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:29 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's just the question of if you want to strap a device containing a lithium battery to your head.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Now there's just the question of if you want to strap a device containing a lithium battery to your head.

well I am sat on a device powered by explosive flammable liquid. Riding in the same area as people in large armored vehicles who are oblivious to my very existence and when they do see me they consider me a nuisance/ minor speed bump.
Worrying that I am going to mess up on a roundabout (really hate them)
Then there is confusing one way systems, weird strange rules about walking with your bike, and traffic lights that refuse to change for me but are illegal to run (of course)
The lithium battery is rather low in my worries as a new biker lol

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

before you climb aboard a dangerouse, potentially lethal motorcycle? Thinking

If we were that risk adversed I doubt many of us would ride bikes at all.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:12 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well don't come crying to me when you're lying in the road with your head on fire!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely to be the very last thing I might think to do in that particular instance. Happen a lot do they? Motorcyclist head fires?

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:26 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's likely to be the very last thing I might think to do in that particular instance. Happen a lot do they? Motorcyclist head fires?

hey dont knock it, its fecking cold out there at the moment, this head fire sounds warm....may get a camera for the other side so I can be equally toasty Smile

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Just ride faster and you need not worry.
As then if you crash your potentially flammable head probably wont be attached to your body, problem solved.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Just ride faster and you need not worry.
As then if you crash your potentially flammable head probably wont be attached to your body, problem solved.

Plus that flaming projectile will hopefully take out the a hole that caused the crash Smile

win win lol

(jokes aside I have a healthy fear of being in an accident, I say healthy as I do keep a look out for dangers etc. hope no one is offended that were making light of it here a little)

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

(jokes aside I have a healthy fear of being in an accident, I say healthy as I do keep a look out for dangers etc. hope no one is offended that were making light of it here a little)

Laughing

Stick around a while longer and you will find that generally here there is a zero tolerance policy on becoming offended.

Any signs of weakness and there is a verbal trial by fire until survival or flouncing.

It's a lot like Sparta, except with more cats and penises.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:49 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden for 3 years with a camera on my helmet, smoked/mirrored visors, race exhaust systems and a small numberplate - Only the plate's been a problem. Nothing's ever been said about anything else, you should be fine with a camera Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:51 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Stick around a while longer you fucking piece of shit and you will find that generally here there is a zero tolerance policy

Thumbs Up

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:33 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
TheDaveStream wrote:

Laughing

Stick around a while longer and you will find that generally here there is a zero tolerance policy on becoming offended.

Any signs of weakness and there is a verbal trial by fire until survival or flouncing.

It's a lot like Sparta, except with more cats and penises.

Wait there`s cats?! awesome.

SV650SKid wrote:

Ridden for 3 years with a camera on my helmet, smoked/mirrored visors, race exhaust systems and a small numberplate - Only the plate's been a problem. Nothing's ever been said about anything else, you should be fine with a camera

Cool, so hard to get good info. Where I work we get the CEO's (Civil Enforcement Officers) come in so was talking about my first trip into the city and how the one way system so confused and stressed me that I decided to walk with the bike to find where I could legally get back on and know where I was. Now I turned off the engine, keys out of the ignition and walked beside the bike, one hand on the handle bar/back brake. other hand on the rack(like i was about to pull it of its stand).
The CEO told me that it was illegal to walk the pavement like that unless the bike was broken down. One road that is only a road at certain times and mostly a large pavement apparently has a license plate camera that I will (according to the CEO) of triggered and will be sending me a fine!
Multiple searches say its legal to ride 17 yards on the pavement if you are heading to a space to park. If you need to go further then you have to do exactly as i did (infact pushing it like I did is spot on, had i straddled the bike and kind of peddled then thats illegal)
Havent posted here about that one as all information says what I did was legal. but on the helmets there was a lot of conflicting information.

Didnt know about the size of the number plate but we did have one at the carpark I guard that the CEO`s got police involved in, basically when the bike was stationary you couldnt read the plate, once engine was on you could, something to do with the vibrations.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:59 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the moment, the UK still works on a permitted-unless-prohibited basis. So please, never again ask if something is "legal". The question is: what offence am I committing by doing it?

What we're looking for is "Authorisation of head-worn appliances for use on motor cycles"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/18

Which says (tl;dr version ) that if there are regulations prescribing types of head-worn appliances, then it's an offence to wear one of that type which doesn't conform, or to use it other than prescribed.

The only regulations that I can find which reference this offence are to do with "eye protectors".

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/535/made

If anyone reckons that it's totes illegal to slap a camera on your lid, ask them to cite the regulation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3