Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ponderosa cafe / Horseshoe pass

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Ponderosa cafe / Horseshoe pass Reply with quote

Quick query please... am planning a Wales route, and will be stopping off at the Ponderosa, so never having been before I was just wondering whether I'll get the max out of the Horseshoe Pass by riding it North-South (ie, riding away from the Ponderosa), or South-North (ie, riding towards the Ponderosa)? Or is it six of one and half-a dozen of the other?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing special and usually has loads of cars on it so you can't enjoy it. It's also in North Wales so will be hotching with popo on a nice day.

Do both ways, doesn't take long, only about 5 miles. It's only popular because it has a cafe and you land up having to go through Llanggollen which is a PITA.

There are many better roads in North Wales.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:32 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire pass was hilareously poorly maintained and so an adventure in a different way. As well as being the highest road in Wales.
https://goo.gl/maps/MsmcZBLWuim

If you want something entertaining. Try the tiny little back road between Coedpoeth and Llanngollen which is signed for "Worlds End". It's also entertainingly bad, bordering on actually dangerous. Probably the single worst maintained stretch of road I've ever ridden on in the UK. Should be a hoot on a v-strom as long as it isn't covered in snow and the ford isn't frozen like it was last time I did it on the Enfield. Allow twice as long as you think you'll need.

https://goo.gl/maps/kPtMqxvAQR92

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to ilke Llangollen, but yeah, can be a bit of a bind, but if you time it right it's fine. I do like the run up the Horsehoe pass. I do agree, do it both ways, but, as part of that, add in a run out to the Doof Cafe at Ruthin from the Ponderosa, it's a good entertaining route.

Another good route, if you're their, go from Bala Lake to Lake Vymwy, another good route, especially if you take what is essentially a single track route. Bala is nice, and there's also a nice little cafe, bird (the feathered kind) observation spot at Lake Vymwy

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done Horseshoe pass, too small of a section for me to travel over from Conwy when i'm there; I'd suggest you do the evo triangle & the some of the roads going through mach loop as they're supposed to be good.

I've never had a problem with plod when i've been round, yes there are camera's around the biking hotspots but they stick out like a sore thumb & people will warn you in advance.

Tigerider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends how high the Ponderosa is on your list of "must do's " mate, l think it's a worthwhile ride, & if you can go there weekdays you won't get lots of sad bikers asking you all about "where did you buy your bike/leathers/textiles/helmet/etc" or "what kind of oil do you use in that bike?"
The nosh is good, & Llan' is a great little place to visit when there's no dumbassed tourists there to try & kill you at every road junction.
You can also go on a great little steam train ride from Llan' & then go on to Betws y Coed for more tea & scones.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was too many police, tourists and sheep on the road when I visited last - although this was admittedly a couple of years ago. I didn't rate the bit of the A525 between the top of the Horseshoe Pass towards Ruthin either. There was a couple of miles alongside a brook / stream that always seemed greasy, wet, badly surfaced and tight in my experience. There's better roads in the area - much better!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and google the "evo triangle". Did it a few years back in the car, was good driving.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1