Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How safe is it to park a motorbike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: How safe is it to park a motorbike? Reply with quote

Ok as you guys know I am new to all this, I know that you need to lock the front and rear wheel, I know that you chain it to something Unmovable...... but what if you cant?

Later in the week I am going to this pub (for a meal, I dont drink but they have an awesome carvery) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6763075,1.2241017,3a,75y,318.48h,95.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sM4JtlA0xpaEsSuhsRFTUcQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DM4JtlA0xpaEsSuhsRFTUcQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D187.39699%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah thats a long link but it should show the street view of the pubs carpark

Last week I went with a mate (by car as I have done every week fr years. However, this time I really looked at where I could secure a motorbike... and I couldnt find anywhere. the railing you see in front of the front bays was full of cars, and would mean my bike would be esy to see from the road (no sense in advertising my brand new reg bike, or am I being too worried about that?)
the lights equally had cars around them.
In fact in the whole carpark was only a couple of spaces and none of them had anything to fasten my bike too.

So what do you do in that situation?
I thought about putting the disc alarm on the front and then using the chain through the back wheel simply on the floor so it couldnt be wheeled off, but it could be lifted into a van and off way before I could react or hear an alarm in a busy pub. Then again am I over thinking it?

What about the back box? is it safe to leave one of them on your bike with your helmet in or do you detach it?

What I am asking I guess is, "How do you keep your bike safe when there is no immovable object to attach it to?" (that and are those boxes really safe to leave on your bike in carparks, and bike bays?)

Side note: It is a horrible fact that we cant just do what car drivers do, park up, key out of the ignition, lock doors walk away. it takes me a good 10 minutes to unlock my bike and store the devices Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a bench. A stop sign, some semi railing things knee high a bus stop thing with a green bin on it to attach things to.

I also see a 7.5ton sign and a gate for a yard so you could potentially ask the owners if you can park in there.

The thing is though...

I also zoomed out and saw it's a small rural village rather than a city centre. So chaining it to one of those ought to do.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I see a bench. A stop sign, some semi railing things knee high a bus stop thing with a green bin on it to attach things to.

I also see a 7.5ton sign and a gate for a yard so you could potentially ask the owners if you can park in there.

The thing is though...

I also zoomed out and saw it's a small rural village rather than a city centre. So chaining it to one of those ought to do.

A lot of those would mean parking it on the pavement (big no no legally) Sad that stop sign has potential though..hmmm

that road you see between the petrol station and the pub is a big busy road, tons of traffic, the pub is usually packed as is the carpark. But this is also more how do i do this regardless of location to keep my bike from being stolen, there is no way I could afford to replace it if it did get nicked (and although fully comp I have no illusions they would pay out the amount needed to replace the bike minus the excess)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:18 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 125 scooter and not in that London, so I reckon I'd probably take the key out, maybe even use the steering lock. If there are any pikies nearby, throw a disc lock on it. Beyond that, enjoy your meal.

Like a new babby, you're going to have separation anxiety for a while, but you'll soon get blase about leaving it to amuse itself while you go on a bender.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting too much tonight but I would say you were over worried about it. If someone is desperate to steal your bike then they will. Park and enjoy whatever you are doing, else we would all stay at home.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For places you visit often you can always mix a bucket of concrete and stick a ground anchor in that?

There are a few old posts about it:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=219891

In a nutshell a cubic metre of concrete is 2400kilos nobody is shifting that without a fork lift truck.

Myself I keep a thick chain under the seat and always park it in view of a window I'm sitting at.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some of the complete pussy signs in OP that I fought to get over.
Can we get some harsh awakening abusive types in here to berate him into sense please? I get the feeling it may be productive. Very Happy

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
For places you visit often you can always mix a bucket of concrete and stick a ground anchor in that?

There are a few old posts about it:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=219891

In a nutshell a cubic metre of concrete is 2400kilos nobody is shifting that without a fork lift truck.

Myself I keep a thick chain under the seat and always park it in view of a window I'm sitting at.

hmmm may be worth asking the pub about the bucket of cement, I am a regular (again food only) so maybe they would be ok with it.

I keep the chain under the seat when the bike is moving between home and work so I always have it spare

josdr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:50 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use https://bitly.com/ to shorten the www addresses you paste to your posts...

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a 125 scooter and not in that London, so I reckon I'd probably take the key out, maybe even use the steering lock. If there are any pikies nearby, throw a disc lock on it. Beyond that, enjoy your meal.

Like a new babby, you're going to have separation anxiety for a while, but you'll soon get blase about leaving it to amuse itself while you go on a bender.

thing is its brand new, very nice bike so I worry its going to be a target, perhaps I worry too much about it but then this is the most I have ever spent on anything in my life (and has taken years to get the money together to do this)

Truth is, I just dont know how bad theft is for motorcycles. google searches all come back with "lock it to something or you will lose it!" "install sentry guns or they will take it" "you dont have a guard dog in your top box? then you will lose your bike" (ok so exagerating a little there on the last two)

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 29 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Can we get some harsh awakening abusive types in here to berate him into sense please? I get the feeling it may be productive. Very Happy

As I said above, this is the most expensive purchase I have ever made. I want to secure it in a world full of thieving scrot`s that have no regard for the property of others. Not taking offense to the pussy remark as I do not feel you meant it in a nasty way lol .... but if we can not get harsh abusive types in here that would be great. I need advice not berating lol

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

As I said above, this is the most expensive purchase I have ever made. I want to secure it in a world full of thieving scrot`s that have no regard for the property of others. Not taking offense to the pussy remark as I do not feel you meant it in a nasty way lol .... but if we can not get harsh abusive types in here that would be great. I need advice not berating lol

Oh I'm all for being security conscious, I was more referring to your repeat concern for if things are legal.
TheDaveStream wrote:

A lot of those would mean parking it on the pavement (big no no legally) Sad

As Itchy and Rog implied, that appears to be away from anywhere police/traffic wardens are likely to frequent.
So as long as you don't piss anyone off enough to report it, park wherever. Thumbs Up

How big a risk theft is depends on a lot of factors, but mostly area.
Yeah the reality is none of our bikes are truly safe, if you own a bike long enough, it will either be stolen or several people will have tried.
Aim to be the latter and move on with life.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Oh I'm all for being security conscious, I was more referring to your repeat concern for if things are legal.
As Itchy implied, that appears to be away from anywhere police/traffic wardens are likely to frequent.
So as long as you don't piss anyone off enough to report it, park wherever has the biggest anchor point.

On my budget a fine could be the difference between eating right and having a weekly meal out or eating really basic. So I plan to play fully by the rules. The linked image was more an example than the main goal. In this case that main road is way busier than it appears, it would only take one jobsworth policeman with a grudge against 125cc learners.
Also the wardens frequent it, its how i know about the place in the first place lol Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't understand the point of buying brand new motor vehicles, even at my age and stage of life when I could afford to do so. And it's beyond me why people do so when they clearly really can't afford it. Even more so in the OP's situation where any upside of being first owner appears to be more than outweighed by the worry of having their machine nicked.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:54 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Still can't understand the point of buying brand new motor vehicles, even at my age and stage of life when I could afford to do so. And it's beyond me why people do so when they clearly really can't afford it. Even more so in the OP's situation where any upside of being first owner appears to be more than outweighed by the worry of having their machine nicked.

Well I could of got a a second hand honda psx5 for £500 less, 1 year mot (3 for new) 6 month warranty (2 years for new) with smaller wheels (more shaky) it would of had better storage space on it though...due to the wheels.

Alternatively I could of got a Zonta Mantis (would of had to learn gears, much less storage, not exactly a great bike)

these where my options via the bike shops in my city. I could of taken a chance on a second hand bike privately... people do it all the time and are fine but I needed something that is to be reliable. So I stretched my budget a bit and went for the bike I could afford with out having to do finance (finance is a slippery slope I try to avoid).

I love my new bike, it is everything I need and I am amazed with how much I really do not want to lose an inanimate object. The only thing that I am not worried about is it breaking down when I take my trips to see my mum (the main reason for getting it now rather than continuing to save for a car/lessons, for reasons that I really do not/will not go into)

So I could afford it, I just can not afford to have it stolen. (I did have to haggle it down into my budget and get a discount on the gear but thats pretty normal for these things)

What I am asking about is how to sensibly keep it safe. At 40 years old I have adapted to be fairly good with money but the monthly budget is still tight.

TL;DR
Never by something you can not afford, but you really shouldn't have to worry that you may have to buy it twice.
Never assume to know someones full situation (you never have all the facts, though I do see why you jumped to that conclusion)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:22 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than big cities you are going to be pretty unlucky if someone comes along looking to nick bikes in the couple of hours you will be having a meal.

Scrotes usually operate in the dark and have seen where a bike is kept. OK, people in a van might lift it in but again it's a city crime rather than country.

Just put the lock on it and go have your carvery. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
very nice bike

I... think you may be projecting your new-ride infatuation a little.

If you're too worried to leave it for a couple of hours in leafy Ruralshire, then I can't see the point of owning it. The only way you'll get over your fretting is by just leaving it. Do it like you'd condition a dog: walk to the end of the road and back, then round the corner, then leave it for 5 minutes and work upwards. Ignore any barking and howling, or at least try to do it inside your lid.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically either get it out of sight or stick it in the most "look at my bike" place possible.
In a place like that I would probably only put steering lock on or not even that if it was visible from inside.

Bikes are more likely to disappear if parked routinely in the same spot so the dark forces have time to consider their options.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:30 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
The only thing that I am not worried about is breaking down

Given how much you worry, abut seemingly everything and anything, I think that having a breakdown is probably THE largest looming possibility on your monkeysphere's horizon!!!!!

Valium! May be the solution!!!

CHILL OUT FFS your giving us your anxiety!

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there's a whole bunch of parking spaces there where you could chain it to the railing, like where that little BMW coupe thing is and the spaces adjacent.

And if anyone moans about a bike taking a car space, you're just one person with one vehicle using one space. Why do they care that you happened to come on the bike rather than in the car?

Or as it's winter ask the pub if you can wheel it into their pub garden, where you can keep an eye through the window? I'm sure it'll be fine* If you can't even ride to the pub for a sunday roast without fretting about it being nicked I'd seriously start to question is it worth having.

*as long as nobody nicks it.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre in a big city - especially Londonistan - no amount of security is guaranteed to make it safe.

if however you live in a small town or suburbs you should be ok.

Lucky enough to live in a place where i only leave the steering lock on :p

edit: fully agree with the rest - stop worrying about it !

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Barclays Bank opposite. Why not pop in and check out the CCTV angle. Leave your helmet on, they won't mind.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
hmmm may be worth asking the pub about the bucket of cement, I am a regular (again food only) so maybe they would be ok with it.

O hai barkeep may I just drop meh bucket of concrete over there and leave it here for when I need it next?

Not much chance, if any, TBH. What happens when you mysteriously fail to reappear at the pub and they've got a half tonne weight stuck in a bucket outside that needs a FLT or smashing to bits and a couple of trips to the dump to get rid of? They'd have to be soft in the head.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
There's a Barclays Bank opposite. Why not pop in and check out the CCTV angle. Leave your helmet on, they won't mind.

And then leave it parked outside their place, and when the manager emerges to have a go at you about your parking, wind him up and film the antics, then write to his boss and get him sacked.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overthinking.

Park up, disk lock. No one is stealing that there. if you are truly worried, park in the car park and back up against the metal pole/railing thing and chain it.

Personally, I'd park along side the pub, steering lock.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3