BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How safe is it to park a motorbike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is I have no point of reference beyond the police warnings etc that's why I am asking.
The usual place I will be leaving my bike will be the city I live in, Norwich. So I know steering lock is a no go by itself.

You guys have put my mind at ease a bit about the pub, it's not as quiet as the image shows though, often hard to get a space but I am starting to think, steering lock + disc alarm on front wheel + chain on back wheel may be enough even if I can not lock it to something.

The other question is the top box, my plan is to leave my helmet and sat available camera etc in that. It's lockable, locked to the bike but is that wise?

Remember my goal here is get advice from those that have the experience, these may seem silly questions to you, maybe I am being over cautious but honestly I just don't know so I am asking. Kind of thought that was the point of this section of the forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

The other question is the top box, my plan is to leave my helmet and sat available camera etc in that. It's lockable, locked to the bike but is that wise?

Most folk with a top box do, and I can't remember ever seeing a post where someone had their top box broken into and goods nicked. With that said, it's hardly the most secure thing in the world so I wouldn't leave anything of particular value in one, personally.

Whilst a lid doesn't necessarily have to be particularly valuable, it's extremely valuable when you come out of your venue at 11 at night on a Sunday and just want to get home, and you haven't got a lid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op

You live in Norfolk by the look of things

It will be one outside

My highly nickable gilera runner is left all over with no more tjemn a disc lock on it

Have mates over your way with scooters that leave tjhrem outside in gt Yarmouth with no probs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Op

You live in Norfolk by the look of things

It will be one outside

My highly nickable gilera runner is left all over with no more tjemn a disc lock on it

Have mates over your way with scooters that leave tjhrem outside in gt Yarmouth with no probs

With Great Yarmouth I am shocked they are not found up on bricks (assuming the bricks arnt nicked)

This is putting my mind a little more at ease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel a little bit anxious when I park up and leave the bike so I can sympathise. Sometimes it has to be done though. I used to have a DataTool alarm with a pager which worked over a short range (maybe a couple of hundred yards?) which I found reassuring. In the aforementioned noisy pub I'd still be alerted to the alarm going off. They don't make them anymore though. I wonder if an alarm disc lock and a baby monitor/walkie-talkie combo might work, both stashed under the seat.

You've prompted me to search again for text-alert tilt sensors but I still can't find one. I have a wildlife/security camera trap (Ltl Acorn 6310MGX) which sends a message when photo-triggered, is battery-powered and would easily fit under a bike seat, so it can't be that difficult.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Still can't understand the point of buying brand new motor vehicles, even at my age and stage of life when I could afford to do so. And it's beyond me why people do so when they clearly really can't afford it. Even more so in the OP's situation where any upside of being first owner appears to be more than outweighed by the worry of having their machine nicked.

Shhh! somebody has to buy 'em new Wink
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also worry about when your out at work, if your girlfriend is shagging another bloke as soon as you leave the house? Or if she uses your toothbrush to clean the shit stains from the toilet?

Or if your kids walk 50m away from the house that they are going to get abducted and abused? Or someone is going to poison your dog/cat/goldfish?

Agree with Borg and Paddy tbh!
Your treating your bike like a teenager who falls in love for the first time, and is creepy and obsessed with another person.

In an out of city area, especially if it's also away from council scum estates, high schools, and sites of non permanent solidly built dwellings, then there's pretty much nothing to worry about! It's a 2hour lunch ffs!

Just to re-assure your pretty little head, it's the following you need to be more worried and less complacent about.

1. Home parking, even in a nice warm locked garage.
2. Regular same parking places all day long, such as work or train station car parks.
3. If you ride in busy cities these days, I'd be far more worried about bike jacking or being assaulted by violent bike taking gangs.

And Tef is right, that not being worried about machine breakdowns to put all your worry capacity into theft is quite wrong and misguided. You are not immune to punctures, or breakdowns by having a shiny new bike.

As for the anxiety thing, well it does sound to me like your mental state could be improved by having a cheap old and walk awayable from bike that stops you stressing so much.

You could always have two cheap shitters or just cheap Chinese bikes, so that if one breaks down, won't start or gets damaged, you have a back up machine, and hopefully more piece of mind.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Do you also worry about when your out at work, if your girlfriend is shagging another bloke as soon as you leave the house? Or if she uses your toothbrush to clean the shit stains from the toilet?

Or if your kids walk 50m away from the house that they are going to get abducted and abused? Or someone is going to poison your dog/cat/goldfish?

Agree with Borg and Paddy tbh!
Your treating your bike like a teenager who falls in love for the first time, and is creepy and obsessed with another person.

In an out of city area, especially if it's also away from council scum estates, high schools, and sites of non permanent solidly built dwellings, then there's pretty much nothing to worry about! It's a 2hour lunch ffs!

Just to re-assure your pretty little head, it's the following you need to be more worried and less complacent about.

1. Home parking, even in a nice warm locked garage.
2. Regular same parking places all day long, such as work or train station car parks.
3. If you ride in busy cities these days, I'd be far more worried about bike jacking or being assaulted by violent bike taking gangs.

And Tef is right, that not being worried about machine breakdowns to put all your worry capacity into theft is quite wrong and misguided. You are not immune to punctures, or breakdowns by having a shiny new bike.

As for the anxiety thing, well it does sound to me like your mental state could be improved by having a cheap old and walk awayable from bike that stops you stressing so much.

You could always have two cheap shitters or just cheap Chinese bikes, so that if one breaks down, won't start or gets damaged, you have a back up machine, and hopefully more piece of mind.

Most have helped. But a few (very few) have taken it upon themselfs to really be very unwelcoming.

No one should ever have to get an old beater to avoid theft, this should never be something we should be ok with.

My mental state, I am asking for advice, this is an expensive outlay and i want to keep it safe. So i have come to this forum and onto the new biker section to ask from those that know.

Now in future instead of trying to be an arsehole perhaps just provide information.

I am happy for you and the others that choose to be gits that you know how it all works and it can happily look down at us new users but perhaps this forum section is not for you? I speak on many tech forums, I help out on programming issues, I help out on support for VR devices and unity coding, basically where my strengths lay and while i have read some questions that to me sound dumb I always treat them the same as any other user.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I still feel a little bit anxious when I park up and leave the bike so I can sympathise. Sometimes it has to be done though. I used to have a DataTool alarm with a pager which worked over a short range (maybe a couple of hundred yards?) which I found reassuring. In the aforementioned noisy pub I'd still be alerted to the alarm going off. They don't make them anymore though. I wonder if an alarm disc lock and a baby monitor/walkie-talkie combo might work, both stashed under the seat.

You've prompted me to search again for text-alert tilt sensors but I still can't find one. I have a wildlife/security camera trap (Ltl Acorn 6310MGX) which sends a message when photo-triggered, is battery-powered and would easily fit under a bike seat, so it can't be that difficult.

baby monitors seem extreme, but something to text me if the bike is messed with would help piece of mind though

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/400x/52134852.jpg

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Nope, just annoyed at some deciding to be more nasty/condescending than helpful. Sometimes they don't even realise they are doing it.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

Nope, just annoyed at some deciding to be more nasty/condescending than helpful. Sometimes they don't even realise they are doing it.

Well yeah, welcome to the Internet, we have the full gamut of idiots.
Your statement seems to suggest that one cannot be both condescending and helpful simultaneously, this is false.

You've had one of the warmer BCF receptions I've seen here, typically people so easily offended flounce within days, 9 times out of 10.

Jesus, just wait until Bodyguard starts yelling racial abuse about your mother, and Ste calls you a fucking piece of shit.
Fair warning, the community here isn't Technet or Mumsnet.
Until recently the forum mascot was a cat with a penis in its mouth, so yeah, not for the easily offended.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:43 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Your statement seems to suggest that one cannot be both condescending and helpful simultaneously, this is false.

You've had one of the warmer BCF receptions I've seen here, typically people so easily offended flounce within days, 9 times out of 10.

Jesus, just wait until Bodyguard starts yelling racial abuse about your mother, and Ste calls you a fucking piece of shit.
Until recently the forum mascot was a cat with a penis in its mouth, so yeah, not for the easily offended.

So all the tales of biker comrade are false? Or am disqualified as I am a scooter owner lol

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/vgUFOWBwBkziE/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:

So all the tales of biker comrade are false? Or am disqualified as I am a scooter owner lol

Plenty of camaraderie - you'll just need to put your mangina back in the drawer and put your spuds back on in its place, in order to be part of it.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDaveStream wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

This forum is similar to converting to Judaism where they reject you 3 times before you are finally allowed in. It's a good way to get rid of people who are in the SJW clique or are very easily offended. If you can laugh off a bit of a ribbing or don't get baited by negative responses designed to rile you up then you're good.

You have received a lot of good responses... plus a few negatives... just ignore those.

In response to your OP, I lived in London (Southfields) and left my bike in Victoria and got by with a disklock. Don't forget the disk lock is attached to the bike though as it's pretty embarrassing when you go to ride off and get catapulted over the handlebars.

Anxiety will fade in time. In reality, if someone wants your bike you won't be able to do much about it. Just check the videos on youtube where all the top end security chains get cropped in under 3mins.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:18 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Strokes OP's hair, sings "Soft Kitty"]

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
[Strokes OP's hair, sings "Soft Kitty"]

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/283/401/9ec.jpg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:47 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first post, barely a week ago, was asking about CBT and security, and was pretty neurotic. In the week since, you have posted 36 other messages, still fretting about everything and anything, from whether its legal to wear a web-cam on your helmet, to leaving a scooter at a pub while you have lunch!

Step back, take a GOOD long look at ALL the stuff you are fretting about. and TRY and get a bit of perspective on it all!!!

There is 'some' excuse provided by admission you are a software mushroom, likely unaccustomed to life in natural lighting, but still... in the real world there is a HUGE region of uncertainty.... in which you are trying to discover absolutes, that simply don't exist.

At some point, you have to just get on the ruddy bike and ride it, and be ready to take what comes.

Motorcycling is inherently a risky-business. So is life!

Biking is not as 'risky' as so many seem to suggest emotionally, either because of the potential red-mist 'thrill' they get from it, or the blood-red carnage they imagine from stories of high-speed crashes, but still... it IS risky.

But as the old saying, if you cant do the time, don't do the crime. The only way to avoid the potential risks is to just not take them. Otherwise its risks vs rewards. Which starts with actually knowing what the 'real' risks are, and putting them in proper context.

You, NEWB, ink barely dry on your DL196, are at most risk from yourself as anything right now. FACT. Take heed of it!

That band new pride and joy, most expensive purchase you have ever made, scootay, IS I am afraid to say, MOST likely to get scratched, scoffed or other-wise damaged or rendered useless BY YOU. Not by some-one else not doing what they should, or doing something they shouldn't. Not by a scrote chiseling the locks or heaving it in the back of a van. YOU are the most likely person to cause yourself calamity right now.

Whether that is fumbling the thing onto the stand, to riding into the back of a bus... most likely cause of damage to that machine, right here, right now, is simply your inexperience and pretty obvious significant lack of confidence and competence.

Hint, accidents happen when competence and confidence are inordinately out of balance.

And, I am afraid to tell you that for ALL your 'sensible' trying to do the right thing attitude, right here, right now, THAT is actually THE most dangerouse thing you have to deal with. Accept or reject that advice.. that is a fact.

Now, I don't much like stereo-types, but they can be helpful. In your head, you are doing a fantastic job of convincing yourself that you are doing 'everything right'.. you are applying 'caution', and you believe that that caution will avoid danger... and IF calamity strikes, you will site all that 'caution' and be convinced that you cannot be to blame, that you could't possibly have avoided the calamity... because YOU were being 'cautious'.

You are displaying all the traits of the 'Nervouse-Nancy' rider type. The 'calamity' must fall on the 'Revin-Kevin' rider type... and to your way of thinking ATM, probably, deservedly so.

Revin-Kevin, has a devil-may-care attitude, never looks before he leaps; rides recklessly into danger, probably seeking 'high-speed' thrills above all; doesn't bother to lock the bike up properly, why should he, its insured? Probably rides in jeans and an anorak, no 'proper' biking wear, he obviously doesn't care about even his own safety! So doesn't bother to change the oil or adjust the chain or anything, who cares! Sort it if it breaks... tut-tut-tut... he's an accident looking for a place to happen, isn't he?

NOW... I am sorry to say, BUT.... Revin Kevin, will ride into danger and probably never even know the risk they are taking until its too late.... and unfortunately will probably 'bounce'. They will usually do something 'daft' and usually in a single vehicle accident where they only have themselves to blame; they'll catch a dose of road-rash, skuff up the paint work and bend the bars. They'll hobble out the hedge, pick the bike up, and probably try riding it home with a buckled wheel! And people will likely say "Well we all knew he had it coming!" Because of the number of close calls he'd bragged about before hand.

BUT... Rev-Kev wont be majorly mangled. They'll live, and they'll probably ride again... maybe chalking it up to experience and being a little less exuberant next time round; confidence knocked back into balance with their competence.

Nervous Nancy? Does everything 'right' or tries to. They wont 'speed'. They will slow down, and probably rather a lot, when they spot a car nose in a side turn.. which is the 'classic'... "Oooh SMIDSY! Better Beware" over slowing for the perceived hazard, they actually make it a self fulfilling prophesy! Car in side turn doesn't expect oncoming traffic to slow down... so assumes they are slowing to let them out... Are they? Aren't they? Hesitation an confusion follow... and car, pulls out... WALLOP!!! One Nervous-Nancy, on the deck, leg broke, bike under car bumper.. "But I'm a cautious rider! I wan't Speeding!" As they are bundled in the meat wagon, and they continue protesting for weeks afterwards when relatives and friends and colleagues all say "I told you so! Bikes be Dangerous!"

The types of accident Nervous Nancies get themselves into are enormous, BUT they all stem from the same over caution and imbalance of confidence and competence... Big difference between them and Revin-Kevin, is that they seldom DO learn from the usually far more severe accident that tries to knock Confidence and Competence back into kilter.... this 'over thinking' thing, continues, and they STILL cant believe that they did anything 'wrong' so there's no mistake to learn from!

This is a very very very bad situation.... ESPECIALLY if you are on CBT, on L's convncing yourself that not going and doing lessons, not going getting a licence, ASAP is actually showing your ideas of how 'cautiouse' you are, not diving in the deep end, not wanting a big-bike, spurning the power and speed that big bikes have to offer.

NOW... to return to your little deliberations....

You are NOT doing yourself any favours. The more you are researching, is actually giving yourself more to fret about, and more entrenching yourself in a mind-set erring towards over confidence and over caution, and NOT actually tackling the matter of your competance any.

The things you are fretting about, are, also all the things you 'think' you can do 'something' to effect influence over; placebo's to 'take control'... and placebo's to either accepting that there's a heck of a lot you just CANT influence or control, and the ones where you might 'do something' are NOT necessarily the ones that will have 'most' impact.

BIKES GET NICKED

Its a simple fact. If you cant accept it, sell up and catch the bus. You WILL NOT stop some-one having away with your pride and joy if they really want it!

Best locks and ground anchors in the world can be defeated. No one takes any notice of alarms, and imoblisers mean little if they can chuck the whole bike in the back of a van and tackle it at ther leisure. Garages can be broken into. There is no amout of hard securty that will garantee a bike wont be stolen. And perversely, damage they can do in the trying, can be as much or more hasle than if they succeed!

But Still.. why bother even trying, when all they have to do is break into your house and steal the keys.. or just wait until you come out to ride away and put a knife to your through, or just smack you on the back of your head with a baseball bat when you stop at a set of traffic lights!

These risks exist! If you cant accept that, and you aren't prepared for them, sell up, get the bus!

Otherwise, do what you can 'reasonably'.

Its not reasonable to start demanding that pub-landlords start installing concreted in ground anchors! They'll just tell you to eat/drink elsewhere! (FFS, that's been suggested to me by enough publican's over the years, just walking in with a skid-lid in my mitt!).

It is reasonable to look for somewhere you can chain to a cemented in fence or lamp-post or such, but if you cant, you cant. Do your best... and if bike isn't there when you get back... take the hit! You ride bike, you accept the risks that come with it!

Doesn't really matter how much you paid for the thing; whether it was brand new, whether it was the most expensive thing you ever bought, or the cheapest... you still have a long walk or to call a taxi! And shit happens! Deal with it!

MEANWHILE.... in the ranking of risks! It still remains, FAR more likely, that your reason for having a long walk or a taxi-call WONT be that the bike's bee nicked.

Its much more likely that you will have dropped it off the stand and broken a lever. Or the tarmac beneath the stand was soft....

Crikey! I took a bike I had just finished restoring for its Moment-Of-Truth, got a clean bill of health on it, and gone to pick up O/H in town, parked up to wait for her at the pub, come out an hour later and found bike with a two hour old MOT it wouldn't at that moment be able to pass, with bent bars and broken levers, on its side in the car-park.... Did some-one decide that I was taking up too much parking space try and move it? Did some scroat try and nick it? Or was the tarmac just a bit soft in the sun? We may NEVER KNOW! And you know what? CCTV footage wouldn't fix it, even if there was any! Big sign on the lamp post "All vehicles left at owners risk" But still!

YOU are the biggest risk you face right now. A Tele-Tubby-Cam on your head, wont reduce those risks none! May make you feel better about taking them... but you are still taking them... so of all the things you might do, is a telly-tubby-cam, really the most useful or appropriate?

Is fretting over how 'best' to lock your scoot at a country pub you'll be at for what, 2hrs maybe every week or so, REALLY that big a risk as to be worth THIS much fretting about?

And even if it WAS nicked... whats the real, actual 'severity'? Long walk home, or a taxi-call.

Inconvenient, yes. Gut wrenchingly annoying, yes.

BUT, you should't be bleeding. You shouldn't be DEAD! Its NOT the end of the world, its JUST hassle...

How will you get to work tomorrow? (Same way you did before you bought scootay, probably!) How will you afford another scootay? How long will the insurance take to come through? Will they give you full 'value'? All hassle, all heartache, that you could do without, BUT its STILL not the end of the world.....

Back to that SMIDSY...

Much more likely than a theft.... Tele-Tuby-Cam? Err... yeah... I am not sure that would count for an awful lot, with either the police or the insurance... certainly wont stop you bleeding in the road.... but, of what it might do, 'Prove me right!'... odds is that it wont, even if any-one looks at it, and it will remain, in a 'balance of probability'.. where YOU even if you were 100% in the right... which I very much doubt you would be, but let that slide; you were on a motorcycle... something other road-users aren't accustomed to dealing with... and on L-Plates, which unequivocally put you in the 'Know-Nothing learner' category; add a short period of riding experience, on the 'balance of probability, the scales are loaded against you before you begin, with or without Telly-Tubby-Cam footage!!!

And you are STILL bleeding in the gutter....

THIS, here and now, is the sort of stuff to be 'fretting' about!

If you aren't fretting about THAT.. whether when you fall off (& it is more 'when' than 'if' right now!) when will any-one will find you; how much it will hurt; how hard will the nurse will scrub the wounds; will they bother to give you an X-Ray, or send you home with a broken foot? ... been there, done that.... I've seen drunks admit to stepping off the pavement in-front of a bus, treated with more sympathy than some-one admitting to something as 'stupid' as riding a motorbike! IF you aren't more worried about that, and how to avoid it... then WHY the heck are you fretting about country pub parking and the legalities of telly-tubby-cams!?!?

I will strongly suggest your 'why'.. you DONT think that you can do any more than you are about SMIDSY, you DO think you can do 'something' about pub-car-park theft.. so you are expending what worry-room you have in your head, to contemplate those things you merely THINK you can do 'something' about, rather than actually tackle the ones that you might, and just accept the ones you cant or can only do little about.

Ironically, you are inverting the priorities based NOT on how real the risks or dire the consequences may be, but based on what you 'feel' you can take charge of!

You are snatching at pennies and letting the pounds blow away on the breeze!

You, NEWB, no experience, no know-how. Experience... GO GET SOME! You don't have to ride into the city every day in rush hour! You just have to ride 'some-where', so go RIDE! That's what your L-Plates is for!

Stop thinking, get riding! Its THAT easy. Instant 'experience'

The know-how? Well, you can get it two ways. First by trial and error. Error on two wheels usually means falling off, and that hurts. Doesn't really 'teach' you anything, either, just lets you know quite severely, you did something 'wrong', and leaves you to work out 'what', and hopefully not do it again. Not a particularly cheap or efficient or even pleasant way to get know-how, to my mind but still. Other way is to go get lessons, and have some one who already has that know how, show-you-tell-you... tends to be rather less painful that, though may still be pretty expensive.

BUT, both 'problems', lack of know-how, and lack of experience ARE both something you can do something about.. very practically, and very easily. But, if you are NOT, or aren't doing all you can to sort them, you obviously aren't that concerned about them... so why worry MORE about anything else?

You are NOT displaying 'caution' or 'sensible'. You are displaying very severe facets of delusion, in what you are choosing to percieve as real risk, whilst aparently ignoring anything too big to comprehend or too hard to do anything about, and perversely, suggesting a much bigger danger to yourself and others around you in consequence.. the typical Nervouse-Nancy scenario, in which all you 'worry' and 'research' all your 'caution' and 'precaution' is likely to actually bring about the things you most fear, NOT avoid or minimise them.

Like I said in first reply to your first question DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.

If you MUST sweat, then stop grasping at penny anti problems, go grab the effing pound note ones by the horns!

Yeah, mean shouty man! How DARE we CARE!? Not my arse or pride and joy left hanging in the breeze is it? Advice is offered freely, and may be ignored or dismissed just as freely.. or you may heed it... because it's YOUR arse & pride and joy hanging in the breeze....

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:52 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Fuck Tef.... my mouse wheel is workin overtime from scrolling down..

Agreed though, 36 neurotic posts before CBT is kinda a lot.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Good read. Reply with quote

Well put Tef.... long one, even for you. We know OP's able to read, so maybe he'll take the free and sensible advice. Or, he can hide the scooter in his massive mangina.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Strokes harder, sings louder]

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:50 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Good read. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
maybe he'll take the free and sensible advice. Or, he can hide the scooter in his massive mangina.

It's a petty big one...........

It's got 16" wheels! Laughing

Trying desperately to resist an ex-wife quip.... but I can't... she'd probably manage enjoy it!

Actually... makes me wonder.... I was just too polite to ask.... I assumed some-one in a neighboring garden was using a strimmer..... but some-one did say that someone was stringing fishing line between the lamp-posts on her street, and ped-boi's were going missing......

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

I tried but couldn't get past half way... the general theme was stop being a fanny I think.

TheDaveStream
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

I tried but couldn't get past half way... the general theme was stop being a fanny I think.

Basically it amounted to saying I am dumb and unmanly to be asking advice on the things I know nothing off mixed in with how my caution and following of the rules will be what gets me involved in a nasty accident. (yes I know going too slow is as dangerous as speeding, but I go at a safe speed for the road and conditions, meh I do what I can to be safe and yes legal, if that makes me a pussy then so be it, kind of expect others on the road to be doing the same.)

Basically just being him just being an arse and liking the sound of his own voice.

Side note, I have posted asking advice I can not readily find, or when found is too contradictory (like seeing a black and white image of a pen and one post says "that pen is red" another says "that pen is green" if I were for some bizarre reason in need of the colour I would have to ask.

What he did say which is true, I am more of the geeky side. I am used to absolutes, I am used to being able to ask questions and get helpful replies. I am not really used to having some one call my manhood into question over a question or tell me I will get in a nasty accident because I follow the rules of the road (thanks for the confidence boost there tef)

In terms of offended, no I am not offended, I am annoyed and feel sorry for thinner skinned newbies that may of been berated into not seeking advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3