Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vision Goldwing K1600GT Voyager Trophy owners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oldbloke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Vision Goldwing K1600GT Voyager Trophy owners? Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum, so Hello and thanks in advance.

I've been having an argument with myself for the past couple of years regarding the Victory Vision Tour.

I don't need it, there's more practical machines available, and they're cheaper, but I still like it! As I hit 50 this year I feel like buying another bike although something will have to go!

Other considerations - Honda GL1800 Goldwing, BMW K1600GT, Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager, Triumph Trophy SE

Does anyone have any experience or opinions they could share?

Current bikes - Honda XL1000 Varadero, Kawasaki VN1500 Nomad, Honda FJS 400 Silverwing

Last edited by Oldbloke on 18:47 - 30 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:22 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person that ever had a victory on here had all manor of issue with the really crap finish and poor dealer support.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:35 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen that Victory Hammer in the fluxxing metal, I can confirm that it was in an absolutely shocking state after just one year on Scotch roads.

So I wouldn't plan to let any Victory get so much as a whiff of road salt, ever, and nor would I trust that 10 year parts supply promise from Polaris given the complete fob off that he received from Victory UK as well as the dealer.

Shame as he loved the bike, just not the ownership experience.

Oldbloke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:58 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, they're confirming the argument I've been having with myself.

Are there any thoughts on the other considerations?

The Trophy is the sensible choice, but what are the others like to own and use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW will be a different kettle of fish in terms of fit and finish. But I'm not sure I'd want to own one due to reliability issues seemingly across their entire range.

Based on hearsay rather than facts and figures, but my father's K1300gt pretty much backs it all up in terms of premature parts failures and annoying intermittent faults. He still relies on it day to day, so take from that what you will, but it seems to forever have a niggle here, or a dodgy wotsit there.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Trophy. The SE launch edition with every extra possible,

Good Points.

It's good build quality.

It's a very easy bike to ride quickly, even on windy A roads. For something that weighs about 260kg it handles really well. It has electronically adjustable suspension with a good few settings but I only ever change between fully loaded and single rider.

Wind protection and electric screen is superb (I have the taller touring screen but have been told the standard is good).

Tons of luggage space and easily removable panniers and top box.

Engine is good. Powerful and smooth. Not as sophisticated as my Goldwing 1800 engine was but no real complaints.

Shaft drive and SS wing arm.

It has all the extras you would expect. Heated grips and seats. Stereo, 3 power take offs (one in top box), Remote tyre pressure readout. All the normal electronics and computer crap you could ever want.

Which brings me nicely to bad points.

The computer/dashboard/electronics are as intuitive as a saturn five rocket. I still have to get the manual out to change the clock. Embarassed They look pretty old hat compared with new stuff as well. (might have been updated as mine is 2012)

The brakes are linked and computer assited somehow. I never liked linked brakes and these are out complicating a complicated BMW. The brain for that system, if it dies is over a grand and the pipework looks like a kitten has been playing with a ball of string.

The tyre pressure monitoring system - according to Triumph, when the batteries go you have to get new senders in each wheel at £200 plus wheel and tyre removal. (you don't, you can prize them open and fit new CR2032 batteries without desroying them if you are lucky.) Or you can just use a tyre pressure gauge. Rolling Eyes

So, would I reccomend it - Yes, with some caveats

It does everything I want as a tourer. It has all the toys I want. It handles well and is comfortable for a days riding without aches.

Would I have another, no. Simply beacause I'm a Goldwing man at heart have owned every single model since they were built so I'd pobably want another wing or the six cylinder BMW just because I haven't had one. In reality, as I am 60 now, I will keep this bike untill it's too big for me to handle and then retire from biking.

I don't regret buying it and it does everything I want but it doesn't have a soul.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are asking about the other bikes I will dredge up some memories about my 1800 Wing.

I bought an American import in yellow Wub

https://s5.postimg.org/ckqdv3mtj/1800_015.jpg

This was a 51 plate so I don't know what improvements have been made but here goes...

American imports don't have HISS, or at least they didn't then

I spent a small fortune on this bike. Unlike the Triumph that came with every conceivable extra, this came with bugger all.

I had to put speakers in the rear speaker pods (they came empty).

All the trim was extra, as was the heated grips, seats, power take offs. The thing is there is a whole market of tat to put on your bike but it costs. Oh, had to have the radio rechipped because America.

The handling, after the 1500 was a revelation and the brakes actally worked. Again linked brakes but most people seemed to like them on the Honda.

There wasn't a great deal in the way of electronic rider aids from whay I remember but that will obviously be completely different now. FFS, you can have a airbag if you want. Rolling Eyes

One thing I didn't like was that you couldn't remove your panniers and walk into the hotel with them like suitacases. I don't know if it is still the same but I had to use soft inner cases and the panniers wern't that roomy either.

The engine was super duper glorious. Smooth as silk.

I loved mine and sold it with the intention of buying a newer British model but ended up with a Busa. Shocked

I'd like another but they are disgustingly silly money compared with the Trophy. Not justifiable as a toy says my wife. Embarassed

Oldbloke
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:06 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Polar Bear for taking to the time to give such detailed feedback.

I've all but given up on sports bikes, I just can't get comfortable anymore and I feel that my days with larger bikes may be numbered, if I can enjoy them until I'm in my 60s I'll be happy. The little Silverwing does everything I need on a daily basis except satisfy the desire to ride a bike!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goldwing feels lower. I'm on the balls of both feet on the Trophy whereas I could get both feet flat down on the wing. Maybe I've shrunk. Laughing

The Goldwing has the reverse and that is an utter godsend. Once you've used it you'll wonder how you ever did without.

The Trophy is getting to be a bit of a pig for me to manhandle now so I actually plan how I'm going to park it so I don't have to move it by hand.

If I'm being honest I should go to a smaller lighter bike but when you are flying along A roads with Vivaldi blasting away and the 3 cylinder howl, bollocks to little bikes. Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As you are asking about the other bikes I will dredge up some memories about my 1800 Wing.

I had a feeling you would be along at some point and that you would sneakily favour the Wing.

I've had a 12 and a 15 and I've ridden all the others - once you've had one, nothing else really works.

Lots of people on here won't agree, but I'd put money on 99.9% of those people have never ridden one, or not a modern one at least.

The four cylinder Wings are a bit unwieldy, especially in full dresser form, but the 6 pot bikes are sublime- you can trickle them along, feet up, at below walking pace, then open the throttle and off they go, quick enough to surprise sportier bikes.

Once you'v got used to pull back, rubber mounted bars giving a slightly remote feel to the front end, you can swing them through bends with huge confidence.

They are big and heavy, but they carry that weight incredibly well; the only thing I would've liked on the 1500 was traction control - soaking wet surface + wall of torque = squirrely back end, if you're bit ham fisted away from the lights, which is not what you want with nearly 1000lbs of machine under you!

As for the others, I have no experience of the Triumph, but my pal the BMW mechanic looks after a few K1600s - when I asked him about the ownership experience, his words were "Fuck that!"

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

As for the others, I have no experience of the Triumph, but my pal the BMW mechanic looks after a few K1600s - when I asked him about the ownership experience, his words were "Fuck that!"

MCN was sharing a few horror stories with his K1300, it seems BMW's build quality is not great nowadays.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1