Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kriega carrying capacity.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Kriega carrying capacity. Reply with quote

Oxford tailpacks spannered it, again -- the second one.

Based on threads I've made before I'll need a US-20 but since they're £99 (more than I recall them last time looking, that all teach me) I wanted to ask what life span people have got with carrying 16 mm's around.

Usually take about 12-15 kg in chain (disc lock, short 13 mm and 2 meter 16 mm).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Kriega carrying capacity. Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I'll need a US-20 but since they're £99 (more than I recall them last time looking, that all teach me)

Yeah, Kriega went up significantly on 1 Jan. Their bags are the mutt's nuts for sure, but one of the reasons they are so expensive is the fact that they are really waterproof - you surely don't need that for a chain? I can't believe there isn't a more suitable solution

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Re: Kriega carrying capacity. Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
you surely don't need that for a chain? I can't believe there isn't a more suitable solution

It's more the weight of the chains I carry than just wanting Kriega for the sake of it. I've used Oxford tailbag's for a while now and have had two broken: they split at the zip between the base and bag causing much annoyance.

Oxford does the job but ultimately it's made for 5 kg of weight not 12-15 kg.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a few years back for my 1.5m 18mm.

What hasn't held up so well is me having the bag on concrete floors whilst putting the chain in and jigging it around. I ended up wearing through the bottom of the bag in some places.

I've sewn on some additional fabric to the bottom to give it an extra lease of life & thanks to that it's still going strong.

I think if I'd taken care to not scrape it around on concrete floors I wouldn't have had any issues. All stitching/zips/etc are all fine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, a bag within a bag would help.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 30 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few Kriega bags including a US20 that I use on the VFR. I personally wouldn't trust it entirely with the weight of an 18mm chain in it. I've had the straps come loose at speed before due to shifting load and I feel the shifting weight of a chain would encourage the straps to loosen unless they were more securely locked. That said, such locking devices can be purchased (not from Kriega) in the form of ratchets to go on the straps that would do the job to give peace of mind but would perhaps make the process of day to day use cumbersome.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small kriega once, very good option if you want to keep your sandwiches dry, but the fold down and strap idea is not the best IMHO.

I'd be looking at a cheaper option. For example, my tail bag can hold a basket of shopping, is waterproof and cost me £15. You could find a suitably sized tupperware type plastic box, or even a small storage box. Line it or pack it with some thick foam, you then have an even load that won't rattle about and stress the zips or fabric. A bit ghetto I know, but I'd not fork out £100 on something that might break in 6 months time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Top box? Reply with quote

For the kreiga money you could get a top box fitted. Far more practical and waterproof. Most come off and can be carried like a briefcase.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies.

Pop into J&S soon. After the advice and some thought probably end up getting anther Oxford. Bag I've got has now been discontinued and is poorly reviewed online, albeit briefly, so probably speaks for itself. See if the current offerings have a better connection zip.

Probably is plenty of cheaper options online but in a rush to get back on the road and prefer having a place to visit for when something goes wrong.

Cheers for advice on packing with foam or alike. Thumbs Up

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Aye, a bag within a bag would help.

A bag within and bag, within a bag... Shocked
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Top box? Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Most come off and can be carried like a briefcase.

Do they? Maybe the odd model can but certainly not most of them.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Top box? Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
Most come off and can be carried like a briefcase.

Do they? Maybe the odd model can but certainly not most of them.

Anything like a Givi /Kappa keylock/monolock ones can; and although you can then carry them in the same way as you would a briefcase, I'm not sure 'like a briefcase' is really accurate; it's more like 'like a bloody great topcase on its side..."

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 01 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the "WWTLTYB" thread I went with an Oxford x30 in the end for £89. Guy in the shop spending £900 on gear made me feel better.

Top boxes are humongous. I looked at some on the rack and wondered how many t-leafs one could hide inside before the balance of the bike became upset.

See how long this one holds up for. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Luggage Reply with quote

Yes some are huge,but OP is unzipping a bag off the bike. A neat box with some padding inside would be better than having to do this again when zips fail.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Luggage Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
A neat box with some padding inside would be better than having to do this again when zips fail.

Be cheaper but you'd have to factor in topbox's arms ability to withstand weight of 12-15 kg (based on a comment someone made a while ago I recall arms are the limiting factor in topbox useage) as well as the balance of the bike with a load of weight at the rear rather than central.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:16 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Cost over time Reply with quote

A top box first would not see you looking for a solution now.
Your zipped bag is not really central. If you rucksack 15k of chains....I'd find a better parking space.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Luggage Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
A neat box with some padding inside would be better than having to do this again when zips fail.

Be cheaper but you'd have to factor in topbox's arms ability to withstand weight of 12-15 kg (based on a comment someone made a while ago I recall arms are the limiting factor in topbox useage) as well as the balance of the bike with a load of weight at the rear rather than central.

I used to carry the almax in my topbox on my thundercat. Absolutely no issues. Only thing is that with the chain in the box and a girl on the back, even a slower bike like the thundercat can get happy with the front wheel from the lights!

If I wasn't on an R1 I'd get a top box for sure. Luckily these days I don't have to bother with chains and locks when leaving the bike at work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1