Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Punish drivers who go 1mph over speed limit - police chief

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Punish drivers who go 1mph over speed limit - police chief Reply with quote

Quote:
Punish drivers who go 1mph over speed limit, police chief says

A chief constable wants tougher laws on the UK's roads, adding drivers caught speeding should "not come whinging to us about it".

Drivers should be punished even if they only exceed the speed limit by 1mph, the policing chief for Britain's roads has reportedly said.

Currently, guidance says police forces should only issue penalties when motorists are 10% over a speed limit plus 2mph - for example, 35mph in a 30mph zone.

But chief constable Anthony Bangham, the National Police Chiefs' Council lead on road policing, is said to have called for an end to the 10% "buffer".

https://news.sky.com/story/punish-drivers-who-go-1mph-over-speed-limit-police-chief-says-11230191

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the role of chief Constable an Elected position. Thumbs Up

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't agree. But...

This is kind of central to the argument.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:02 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a spy-box in Anthony Bangham's car, and prosecute him every time he goes 1mph over the limit.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Put a spy-box in Anthony Bangham's car, and prosecute him every time he goes 1mph over the limit.

Why stop there? Fit all police vehicles. Evil or Very Mad

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: What a loon. Reply with quote

The 10% means we can safely hover at 30 on our speedo, knowing that if we hit a bump and inadvertently accelerate, we can drive without constantly watching the clock. Are they not getting the 'fine'ance from speed awareness courses? Is this his real gripe?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower thresholds can increase accidents, according to a recent study;

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/322001/low-speeding-tolerance-could-increase-crashes-study

Quote:
in a peer-reviewed experiment, psychologist and study author Vanessa Bowden varied the speed threshold at which a ticket would be given, setting it at 1kmh, 6kmh and 11kmh.

She found that when the threshold was set at 1km/h over the speed limit, participants missed two percent more targets in their peripheral vision - where road signs and hazards often are - and they also found the cognitive workload of driving to be higher.

"From a scientific perspective we can say it is a significant impairment, so it makes a noticeable difference," she said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rather than some motorists staring at their phone screens lets have all motorists staring at their speedo. Seems fair.

Yes, the limit should not be exceeded but unless you have cruise control it is hard to maintain a perfectly steady speed.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:10 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh in for 1 mph, in for 45 mph...

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Jezza Vine show earlier there was a discussion about this subject.A lady rang in to say that her 7 year old son had been knocked over outside of his school by a motorcyclist doing 70 mph.As a consequence of the child dying not long afterwards,the father then committed suicide,alledgedly because of the death of his son.The lady then went on to say that her other two sons also committed suicide,alledgedly because of the death of their brother and father.

Someone emailed the programme and said that with the atrocious standard of driving,why penalise drivers for one mile per hour over the limit when others are driving without insurance,MoT,VED or even a driving licence.With the reduction of road policing,how are they going to enforce this suggestion?

Always have a 'Plan B'

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
meh in for 1 mph, in for 45 mph...

That's a fully fledged Nobby the Bastard of a good point. Remove the discretion, and you remove the incentive to stay anywhere near the limit. Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

That's a fully fledged Nobby the Bastard of a good point. Remove the discretion, and you remove the incentive to stay anywhere near the limit. Thumbs Up

Gaze upon the magnificence of the force's finest traffic womble.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/1819863.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery

What, you don't think he's thought it all through? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
On the Jezza Vine show earlier there was a discussion about this subject.A lady rang in to say that her 7 year old son had been knocked over outside of his school by a motorcyclist doing 70 mph.As a consequence of the child dying not long afterwards,the father then committed suicide,alledgedly because of the death of his son.The lady then went on to say that her other two sons also committed suicide,alledgedly because of the death of their brother and father.

That show borders on the Jeremy Kyle show with it's moronic host and idiot callers.

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Someone emailed the programme and said that with the atrocious standard of driving,why penalise drivers for one mile per hour over the limit when others are driving without insurance,MoT,VED or even a driving licence.With the reduction of road policing,how are they going to enforce this suggestion?

Because, in the end, it's about easy money?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure all speedos are calibrated to be exact enough for this to be enforceable.
What happens if your speedo reads 30 spot on and you get pulled for doing 31?

It's even more likely to happen the faster you are going, unless your speedo is bob on.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current guideline's are there for very good reasons. It's not going to change just because of that one nonce.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That show borders on the Jeremy Kyle show with it's moronic host and idiot callers.

I agree.

There were 2 people who were there to give their opinions.The one on the end of the telephone line quoted all sorts of fantasticle figures,similar to that given out by that so-called charity 'BRAKE' (which I have never donated to).So many people have obviously died in road traffic accidents because of speed and not because of a defect in the vehicle,road surface/conditions etc.

Was it not Jezza Clarkson who said...quite rightly...that speed does not kill.It is more like the sudden abruptness that the body comes to a stop that does the damage.

Always have a 'Plan B'

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I'm not sure all speedos are calibrated to be exact enough for this to be enforceable.

It's even more likely to happen the faster you are going, unless your speedo is bob on.

Also things like tyre wear, tyre pressure (over/under inflated) and the load on the vehicle will all effect the reading on the speedo

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

This - but that said, in my experience most under read by about 10% anyway when compared to GPS speed.
Only thing I've ever driven in UK that was spot on had a tachograph speedo which has to be calibrated periodically
to keep it that way. The 3 cars I hired in the US while I was over there matched the GPS perfectly though.
Maybe the under-read margin is only put in for certain markets? Here, it's only when you start putting different sized wheels or
tyres from OEM on that you start getting a false reading speedo, but even that can often be corrected with diagnostic
software on modern cars. I've not really compared GPS to speedo on my bike, when I next ride it I'll have a butchers.

https://www.wheelcalc.com/

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Also things like tyre wear, tyre pressure (over/under inflated) and the load on the vehicle will all effect the reading on the speedo

Pretty sure it's an old haulier's trick to send a truck for tacho calibration on an old set of tyres. Then chuck a fresh set of Pirelli Diablos on it (or whatever the burly chaps use on these beastly things) and bosh - extra 10mph.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has just got to be a spoof or a hoax.

Bangham. Smile

Bang 'em up Bangham.

I second surveillancing TFPOS.

I'll wager a bet that he's a Bible Banging Bastirt too. Rolling Eyes

edit:

"I do not want the public to be surprised, I want them to be embarrassed when they get caught... They need to understand the law is set at the limit for a reason."

And by who's reason or is it just another of the rulez where reason is not a reasonable factor?

Arsehole.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunstrom banged the same drum for years in North Wales.

They don't have the manpower to dynamically enforce it and static sites are static.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Brunstrom banged the same drum for years in North Wales.

They don't have the manpower to dynamically enforce it and static sites are static.

Beware the coppers with onomatopoeic surnames.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:37 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

You lawsue the manufacturer.

Speedos can read over (10% + 4kph for cars, 10% + 8kph for bikes), but never under. Because of the vagaries mentioned above, they tend to read close to that 10% over. Test yours against a GPS or nag-sign.

The only vehicle I've ever had with a speedo that wasn't wildly over was my Lifan 250 which was very unexpectedly spot on at all speeds up to its 55mph top end.

On the other hand, my Enfield speedo gives a good indication of forward motion, and that's about all you can say for it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

This. I'm a suicide risk after listening for 5 minutes.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 31 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factor in the error margin worn tyres will add and it's a disaster that will never happen.

You'd have all of the UK driving around at 5mph under any posted limit - mind you, the way the roads are going, even 30mph is a rare treat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2