Buying a Car for a preggo missus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:11 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it your kid?

Asking for budget / NCAP considerations.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Agreed, the Skoda Yeti are great.

We've just p/xed a 2012 Yeti after having it for nearly 6 years from new - good car, roomy and whilst the boot is not the deepest, it'll take most stuff (we used it with full-size off-roady baby buggy thing) and all rear seats come out (independently) turning it into a van (the outer two rear seats also slide back and forth, increasing/decreasing legroom/boot room). Having a higher seating position makes wrestling toddlers into car seats easy on the back. The turning circle and wheel-at-each-corner manoeuvrability is fantastic too.

Comes with a selection of petrol engines, from 1.2 to 1.8 TSi which can also get the 4WD transmission - mine was unstoppable in recent snow on all-season tyres.

Other than that the Honda Civic (FK/FN) is vast inside and still looks like a spaceship.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Ignore all of the above.

I may be biased but the best car I've ever had is my Subaru Forester in terms of cost and practicality.

Definitely not sexy but........

It's 4wd perfect for your northern winters. Estate, built like a tank. Quite spritely, mines a diesel boxer engine thingy, does around 45 mpg (kills 1 polar bear every 1000 miles). Obviously there are petrol variant too and differing level of trim/gadgets.

Finally, and most importantly, you can get absolutely loads of stuff in it and your little snoosling will, mark my (and everyone else's) words, have loads of stuff. As he/she gets older you'll still have to move their stuff around and you'll be able to fit bikes and everything into a Forester.

You'll get one about 6 years old for your budget. They never breakdown, they go forever.

Bitch Evil or Very Mad

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:40 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Pjay wrote:

We've just p/xed a 2012 Yeti after having it for nearly 6 years from new - good car, roomy and whilst the boot is not the deepest, it'll take most stuff (we used it with full-size off-roady baby buggy thing) and all rear seats come out (independently) turning it into a van (the outer two rear seats also slide back and forth, increasing/decreasing legroom/boot room). Having a higher seating position makes wrestling toddlers into car seats easy on the back. The turning circle and wheel-at-each-corner manoeuvrability is fantastic too.

Comes with a selection of petrol engines, from 1.2 to 1.8 TSi which can also get the 4WD transmission - mine was unstoppable in recent snow on all-season tyres.

Other than that the Honda Civic (FK/FN) is vast inside and still looks like a spaceship.

Problem with the civic whilst it is vast inside is the short rear doors meaning access in and out with child seats etc more difficult. Source :- used to own one.

I’m hoping to end up with another Superb if the deals come good again because it’s properly massive. Not ‘big for a hatchback’ type big like the civic but actually blue whale massive. Bigger passenger space than a lot of Volvo estates and the boot will fit anything in it.

You can keep your forester and it’s bad MPG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Supra.

However on a serious note, if you can find an IS250 with low miles, buy it. They are lovely cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Ignore all of the above.

I may be biased but the best car I've ever had is my Subaru Forester in terms of cost and practicality.

Definitely not sexy but........

It's 4wd perfect for your northern winters. Estate, built like a tank. Quite spritely, mines a diesel boxer engine thingy, does around 45 mpg (kills 1 polar bear every 1000 miles). Obviously there are petrol variant too and differing level of trim/gadgets.

Finally, and most importantly, you can get absolutely loads of stuff in it and your little snoosling will, mark my (and everyone else's) words, have loads of stuff. As he/she gets older you'll still have to move their stuff around and you'll be able to fit bikes and everything into a Forester.

You'll get one about 6 years old for your budget. They never breakdown, they go forever.

I disagree, mum has one, 2L petrol, drinks fuel pretty quickly and has been in and out of the garage fairly routinely but not enough to make her part with it (she's awkward when it comes to car purchasing)

Having said that, it's not that difficult putting small child inside.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you've dodged the question about paternity, so I'll suggest your wife's kid doesn't deserve anything better than a Zafira. There's absolutely nothing premium or exciting about them, but you're buying a mummy bus, and that's exactly what they are. Loads to chose from at low prices, OK in the snow with wintron tyres, and some of them haven't caught fire, yet.

+1 to the Nissan Trashcan being laughably pokey in the back.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Also, Skoda yeti - proper spacker wagon looks, not /actually/ that big inside and unless you are getting the bigger capacity engines they are flat as a fart.

And, made my wife car sick with its wallowing handling while being driven normally.

Source : - had one as a company car.

My old man has zafiras, not wallowy Astra/insignia based depending on age. His seemed to have gone on forever.

Not as big as the large VAG saloons inside.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
My old man has zafiras, not wallowy Astra/insignia based depending on age. His seemed to have gone on forever.

They get a bit toasty Wink My dad has had loads of issues with his but it's the 2.2L model.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:55 - 02 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus the low prices. Check that they've had both recalls for not fixing / actually fixing the ignito-heater element and you're good. The 1.6 is sufficient for 20mph school runs and sitting stuck in traffic - welcome to the reality of parenthood.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:40 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Focus.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of coworkers have gone for the Ford C Max, sliding doors on the side are apparently great for babies/young children. The downside seems to be boot space and it just fits a buggy in but not a whole lot else.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a giggle reading these thanks. I'll try to reply on these points.

I think I am the dad. If it's not ginger, questions will be asked.

She's now accepting the useful-ness of the slidy doors of the c max, with the extra 2 seats in the back too. May try and get out to have a look at some.

It's strange. We've set a budget so if I show her an older one for say 3.5 or 4k, she says "we can afford a newer one".

She's slowly accepting she won't be racing anybody with this car, yeah she's a fan of traffic light GP in her ratty Celica...

We have a travel system pram thing. It's a silver cross thing that has a car seat that you can put into the frame and wheel it away. Pram is worth more than my car.

Will report back.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:23 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove my mate's 15 plate C-Max. It's a good car. I instantly felt at home with it, like I'd owned it for years. But that's a double-edged sword. I imagine that it would become very, very boring. It depends on what you value more: practicality or fun.

My own C-Max (2005, so no basis for comparison) is about as fun as watching an orphanage burn. But it's bloody cheap and fits my pushbikes in the back. For me, the practicality (and price) was more of a priority.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:48 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Civic V-Tec 1.8 Petrol. 50mpg bullet proof engines and reliability. massive inside and well specced but with smaller rear doors although they open out well, the boots huge and has a drop down flap to either split or make it bigger. I had one for 2 years and ratted it all over the continent towing a 100% weight caravan. I got rid of it p/x for almost the same as I paid for it and 8 years on it is still rattling around according to the dvla mot database on a huge mileage.

Downside is the rear visibility is non existent - need parking sensors.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Problem with the civic whilst it is vast inside is the short rear doors meaning access in and out with child seats etc more difficult. Source :- used to own one.

I’m hoping to end up with another Superb if the deals come good again because it’s properly massive. Not ‘big for a hatchback’ type big like the civic but actually blue whale massive. Bigger passenger space than a lot of Volvo estates and the boot will fit anything in it.

You can keep your forester and it’s bad MPG.

Totally standing by all of this.

I have just ordered a new Volvo S90 D4 R design - Lease deals on the Volvos are excellent right now - like for like with a differently but ultimately lower equivalent spec Superb SE Technology 7 speed DSG are actually /slightly/ cheaper but for a much more expensive car.

No Brainer, Order Volvo now for September!

Still barge sized car, not quite as big cabin space as the superb but then nothing short of a S Class merc really is - they are vast.

Boot size being a saloon not as accessible as hatch on superb but not small by any stretch of the imagination. but a definite step up in marque and quality for similar costs make it a no brainer.

Roll on september!

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:31 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I think a Volvo is a good call. An ex-employee of mine bought one for his daily commute into Birmingham and was turned around and planted into the concrete barrier at Hilton Park by a truck, the car was a write off but he got out with only a couple of bruses.

Whilst I did say Civic as an ex-owner I hadn't tried to put a child seat in so will bow to others knowledge on that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
TBH I think a Volvo is a good call. An ex-employee of mine bought one for his daily commute into Birmingham and was turned around and planted into the concrete barrier at Hilton Park by a truck, the car was a write off but he got out with only a couple of bruses.

Whilst I did say Civic as an ex-owner I hadn't tried to put a child seat in so will bow to others knowledge on that.

The Swedes are pathological about safety, mine has a 5 star NCAP rating when the car it was based on was 4 star. Also it has a better equipment level, heated seats on the standard trim level, which's a godsend on cold mornings before you can turn the heater on Smile

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The Swedes are pathological about safety, mine has a 5 star NCAP rating when the car it was based on was 4 star. Also it has a better equipment level, heated seats on the standard trim level, which's a godsend on cold mornings before you can turn the heater on Smile[/quote]

aye, they used to say "you never understand why a Swedish car costs so much until you crash one"

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand C-max.

I have a normal C-max, if you can't open the rear door far enough it's a pita trying to get the kid in a car seat. The slidey door on most grand C-max would be really handy. Bigger boot space for more shit too - you don't think you need it until you visit family for Xmas and the already full of baby junk car has heaps of toys crammed in.

Engine wise I have a 1.6 petrol but I wouldn't particularly recommend it. It does the job but it is a boring and unrefined engine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2 litre auto petrol c-max and actually like driving it. It's an older one though, 2008 so they have gone through a couple of facelifts since then. The 2 litre auto is a thirsty beast though. I gather it's built on the Focus chassis and it handles well for a people carrier but has a relatively small fuel tank, about 300 miles range.

A while ago I watched wifie struggling like mad to get our grandson and car seat fitted in the back of her Megane cabriolet. After about half an hour of swearing and fighting she had managed it so I asked her if it wouldn't have been easier to put the roof down first.

I didn't know she knew so many swear words. Laughing

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

A while ago I watched wifie struggling like mad to get our grandson and car seat fitted in the back of her Megane cabriolet. After about half an hour of swearing and fighting she had managed it so I asked her if it wouldn't have been easier to put the roof down first.

I did see a friend with a Megane cabriolet trying to climb over to get out the other side, I waited for her to get out before asking about the roof.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I did see a friend with a Megane cabriolet trying to climb over to get out the other side, I waited for her to get out before asking about the roof.

https://youtu.be/9TnGjq9mWSI?t=13s

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preggo woman from work who went on maternity leave before xmas has one of those Citroen Cactus things, it's high off the ground, comes in pretty colours and in the price range.

No idea what they're like though, I'd usually recommend to avoid french stuff / citroen but I learnt to drive in a ds3 with the rally version brakes which felt good.

While I can say the lexus' are strong cars mine is a very thirsty beast.

-------

Honestly I think you're putting too much thought and consideration into this, the majority of cars aren't as low as a Celica and will be fine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:

-------

Honestly I think you're putting too much thought and consideration into this, the majority of cars aren't as low as a Celica and will be fine.

Have you had a pregnant woman on your hands? Believe me, he's not putting too much thought into it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4