Buying a Car for a preggo missus

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Yep, having the same conversation with my preggo Mrs about the car - she is due to pop middle/end of May. Our conversation is between V90 - estate or S90 saloon. Estate is £20/month more than the saloon. Estate means easier loading in and out of the car and I asked her if that’s worth £20/month for the convenience. Could I get a straight answer.... Laughing bearing in mind I won’t be the one to have a problem because 6ft 5 and have stretch Armstrong arms to slide stuff/buggy (giant travel system) into the back of a saloon.

Just get the estate, going anywhere with a small child is like loading up to invade a small country, you can never have too much luggage space!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:
The 6k is a budget of what money we have in the bank after we clear the balance of the buy now pay later kitchen, buy a new bathroom and other shizz in the house.

Then I would buy a car that is a couple of years older and depreciated more.

To me there is nothing in between Leasing a new car on a good deal (this is important as I could have paid £438/PM for a middle of the range VW tiguan if I wasnt aware of much much better deals out there. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Fuck That!) and paying >£1000 on a 'banger' and using it until its economically not worth paying for a repair or even a number of serviceable items and starting again.

And on that basis why not spend £2500 or whatever on a slightly older car and then keep £3500 in the bank. - you cant loose £3500 in depreciation on a £2500 car!

Eh? Isn't that what our 40 page argument was about? Laughing You going on about depreciation and me saying you bought a car still depreciating heavily.

The 2ish grand mark seems to be the sweet spot with cars and bikes. Not so old they're f**ked (low mileage/owner vehicles), not so new you're going to lose a ton of money on them.

haroman666 wrote:
I've not read the thread to see what's already been suggested but...

My Grandparents have got a Vauxhall Meriva (Newer one) and it's basically a posturepedic vehicle for old and/or decrepit people.

Now I'm not implying your lady is old and decrepit, but the functionality may suit her pregnant-ness.

Upright seats that are literally at arse level when stood next to the car - no dropping into a low seat.
Super neutral and back friendly driving position.
Windows and mirrors suited to somebody who might not be able to twist to look round too easy.

Dunno about price or known issues though.

My dad and his partner said they'd never have another estate for this reason. Seats are important, I never appreciated how much so until I started having back problems, contributed to by doing lots of miles in a seat with no lumbar support Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:46 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Eh? Isn't that what our 40 page argument was about? Laughing You going on about depreciation and me saying you bought a car still depreciating heavily.

Don’t start that again!

Yes, I agree - that’s the whole point. Buy a nearly new/couple of years old car and loose a fortune on Depreciation, repairs, service, MOT and Consumables. Or just find a decent deal on a lease on a new car and pay the same or maybe even less for a new car with more spec.

Bad example really because executive saloon being known for awful depreciation. but my latest ‘purchase’ (read property of Santander) Volvo S90 - just shy of 40k new on the Volvo website - (in reality most people would probably pay 32/33k new if they just googled a little) and 1year old examples are selling in dealerships for 22/23k. That’s either 10k or 17k depreciation in a year depending on how much you are trying to prove your point. 2 year lease is circa £8k with a couple of options ticked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Don’t start that again!

I'm not Laughing but the new car argument was made by someone else in that topic, regarding a BMW M4 iirc which would indeed be horrendous depreciation wise.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4