Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Posting bike parts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Posting bike parts Reply with quote

Hello all. I've just got hold of some new parts that I'll be listing on ebay in due course. This will be after sorting them all out. However I was just wondering what is the best way to pack items like forks wheels and fairing pannels ?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:45 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a ludicrous amount of padding and parcel tape. Then cardboard, then more padding, then a box.

Don't leave any bits a courier could stick their fingers under/through to lift it because if they can, they will, tape that shit up. Anything that looks remotely "sharp" (ends of wheel spindle etc) cover over with something so they can't poke through th epackaging.

Take photos of the item from every angle and of you packing it. People are dicks. They will deliberately scratch/damage things somewhere it doesn't show too much then ask for money off. Especially things like painted plastics.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They will deliberately scratch/damage things somewhere it doesn't show too much then ask for money off. Especially things like painted plastics.

I've noticed sellers mark items as people return their (old) faulty part to them Confused

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you stinky and mc for the advice. Got fair bit to sell so hoping I can make it all worth the effort.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrap can be got cheap

I gave a modest amount to someone on here once, forget who only about 20 meters or so

But seriously, I bought rolls of it taller than me from an auction house for about £10 to £20 a roll. Yet, a titchy bit of it in a post office is a fiver.

If you got a fair bit of stuff to post, really is worth spending a wee while sourcing some cheap packing materials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self storage places usually sell big cardboard boxes, parcel tape and bubble wrap for much cheapness.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:04 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of places will give you boxes for free - anywhere selling parts (vehicle or other) typically gas a lot of boxes they will otherwise fill their bins up with.

A few layers of cardboard can work quite well.

For smaller things - a cheap shredder (linear not cross cut) and junk mail, catalogues etc makes very cheap packaging.
A bit annoying for the person on the other end as tends to be dusty.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:08 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Plenty of places will give you boxes for free - anywhere selling parts (vehicle or other) typically gas a lot of boxes they will otherwise fill their bins up with.

A few layers of cardboard can work quite well.

For smaller things - a cheap shredder (linear not cross cut) and junk mail, catalogues etc makes very cheap packaging.
A bit annoying for the person on the other end as tends to be dusty.

Very good advice "G". I find a good source of cardboard, boxes etc., your nearest supermarket - alongside the tills in our Tesco and Sainsbury's are many of these. The staff willingly give them away. Shredding also, agreed, is a great way to produce excellent packaging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
bubble wrap can be got cheap

I gave a modest amount to someone on here once, forget who only about 20 meters or so

But seriously, I bought rolls of it taller than me from an auction house for about £10 to £20 a roll. Yet, a titchy bit of it in a post office is a fiver.

If you got a fair bit of stuff to post, really is worth spending a wee while sourcing some cheap packing materials.

Was it Eric Buss you gave the wrap to by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAOZqxoyLMQ

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that I buy 90% of the crap that I buy online, most stuff I buy has packaging so I just keep it all for re use
next time I have a sell up. Beats paying for it twice.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying bubble wrap is so boring. Razz

If you get the one month free trial of Amazon Prime then you can get vast quantities of packaging just by buying things you were going to purchase anyway.

Then when you're nearing the end of the free month and you go to the page to cancel it, you get offered another month for free. Laughing

You'll very quickly have more boxes and packaging than you know what to do with. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ So right ^^^

Some of the packaging would cause the recycling fraternity and the greens to have a heart attack!!!

I love Amazon prime Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1