Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GS500 leaking fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: GS500 leaking fuel Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got a 2002 GS500 that's developed a nasty habit of letting fuel pile out of it.

In theory, the fuel tap is vacuum operated and shouldn't allow this to happen when it's in the 'On' position as there is now vacuum when the engine isn't running.

However, despite this, the left hand carb is just p***ing fuel everywhere.
I ended up taking the tank off and draining the entire thing into a jerry can as even the tank petcock wasn't working properly, it was still letting a consistent dribble of fuel out the bottom of it.

I've got new fuel hoses on order as the old ones have turned to cheese and snapped off at the hose clamps without much persuasion.

I know the carb needs fixing, but I want to get the bike into a state where I can actually ride it to a mechanic if that's what it needs. I'm hoping I can just unstick the valve once I can avoid being covered in petrol non-stop.

Is there much point trying to fix the existing petcock, there seems to be a fairly easy way to make it manual in the meantime too.

Secondly, should the tank petcock still dribble, or is it likely the seal is failing in that too?

Thirdly, if the float isn't working properly, what are my best options that aren't tearing down the carb just yet?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:54 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a sticky in this forum - GS500 fuel taps are fucking gash.

They all seem to break.

I believe you can get repair kits.

To fix the carb your have to tear it down. Either it just needs a clean/float height set or your need new float needles.

Depending on the mileage I'd be inclined to completely rebuild them.

A freshly rebuilt set of carbs in a high mileage bike makes a world of difference.

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:12 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

They all seem to break.

To fix the carb your have to tear it down. Either it just needs a clean/float height set or your need new float needles.

A freshly rebuilt set of carbs in a high mileage bike makes a world of difference.

The bike itself has only done 7500 miles since new, but it did over half that in it's first year and has just pottered around since. Local Suzuki place said I could be looking at £200 or so for the carbs to be stripped and cleaned.

I couldn't find a repair kit for my gear as the tap was changed as time went on. I'm under the impression there are other manual taps that fit it and it is possible to make it a manual tap by taking it apart and moving bits around.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: GS500 leaking fuel Reply with quote

FollowingGhosts wrote:
if the float isn't working properly, what are my best options that aren't tearing down the carb just yet?

You 'it it, wiv an 'ammer.

Preferably rubber, I've gone up to wooden, or use a wooden drift, or something else soft that won't stove in the float bowl, like our sentencing policy for crimes-against-bikers.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:46 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FollowingGhosts wrote:
chris-red wrote:

They all seem to break.

The bike itself has only done 7500 miles since new, but it did over half that in it's first year and has just pottered around since. Local Suzuki place said I could be looking at £200 or so for the carbs to be stripped and cleaned.

I couldn't find a repair kit for my gear as the tap was changed as time went on. I'm under the impression there are other manual taps that fit it and it is possible to make it a manual tap by taking it apart and moving bits around.

LOL don't take it to Suzuki. If you know which end of a spanner to hold there is no reason you can sort the carbs yourself. Even a notive wouldn't take more than 2-3 hours. Just work methodically and do one at a time that way if you can't work out where something goes take the other one apart and look.

I'm sure someone local wouldn't mind helping. Where are you based?

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:51 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, quick update:

I pulled the petcock off, stripped it down and it was filled with white crusty gunge and I could quite easily blow through it. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner, left it to dry and put it back together.

Now takes considerable effort to blow through, which makes me think it should be much better at stopping fuel from getting through.

Just to wait for the fuel lines to arrive now so I can sort out the float valve.

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part of cleaning the GS500 carbs is:

Getting the tank off
Getting the airbox back on

Everything else is easy as pie, assuming you have the correct screwdriver bits for the screws holding your float bowls on.

Your tank petcock should definitely be sealing when set 'off'. And the frame petcock should be blocked through when there is no vacuum, unless you've got it set to prime.

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update to this:

New tank petcock is on and sealing as it should
New frame petcock arrived today and is sealing as it should

New float gaskets for the carbs are on the way and hopefully arrive tomorrow. it seems that fiddling around with it has unstuck whatever had jammed up the sticking float as it's now sealing properly.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agreed but it is a 2002 bike and despite the low mileage petrol is a solvent and will eventually find it's way through worn or perished pipes. A new pet cock is needed and it MUST be the vacuum type. Once connected correctly and fresh petrol is feeding the carbs vac taps are reliable and better than manual IMHO. I would leave the carbs until you've sorted the tap, work your way through the problem.

Suzy pet cocks are no better or worse than Kawa's and Yam's

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:18 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, another update to this:

Put the carbs back together with new float gaskets, put the bike back together and it was pissing out fuel, however the new petcock is stopping that when it's not running.

So had the carbs off a second time, replaced the float needle on both of them and re-seated the new gaskets, hooked it up to the tank directly in the back yard and neither were leaking so I'm going to hazard to say it might be fixed. Both were holding fuel and refilling the bowls

Hopefully I'll be able to get it all back together in the morning and the bike running.

Cheers for all the input so far

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update: finally.

The weather being as it was put me off doing anything with the bike.

The new petcock is doing it's job, the fuel tank petcock has a very slight dribble when the bike is off, so will need replacing again, or fiddling with to fix it.

I've had it out for a couple of rides and it seems to pull well. There's a little hesitation but I'll take it out for a longer run later to see if that sorts it.

Thanks all for the help though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1