Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dealing with oil on tyres.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Dealing with oil on tyres. Reply with quote

Last week when accelerating hard after a roundabout my rear wheel lost traction. Fifty yards of anus cramping wriggling and sliding about ensued. I thought at first it was just too much throttle and damp tarmac but then at the next two roundabouts the bike felt unstable like the rear wheel was sliding. I stopped and checked suspecting a puncture and low tyre pressure but the tyre was fine. It was wet though and hard to tell if anything greasy or oily was on the tyres. Wheels solid no odd feel to suspension, swing arm true and no play when I took hold of the wheels and tugged to check play in the axles, chain not slack either. So I carefully went to a petrol station and jet washed and scrubbed the tyres with the deturgant the jet wash uses. The bike felt better after that but not great.
The next day im in the same area and notice massive trails of oil on the roads. I follow the trail and it leads to the house of a guy who has this old banger Ford XR3. Oil trail stops inna big puddle of the stuff then back out of his drive and off polluting even more of the area.

Question is, if you get oil on a tyre how difficult is it to properly clean it off? Are there any ways to get the tyre into good condition? It might not be oil though maybe something else is s wrong with the bike but as I said, everything seems mechanicly sound and the oily mess left by XR3 twonk makes me pretty confident ive got oily rubber.

Cheers

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop using cheap tires. Pilot road 4's are quite happy with a bit of oil.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I hadn't tightened the sump plug properly (after a hasty engine rebuild), and dumped most of the oil over the road and rear tyre... when I got it home I just washed it with washing up liquid and water and didn't worry about it after that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash off with detergent and water. If you're really paranoid, some brake cleaner on a rag will remove all traces.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could at a push use good old hand cleaner to degrease , and wash off with water

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Not sure if the photobucket links will work, but this was the oil on my back tyre..... does that count as a "bit of oil"?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/andy36586/Tyre_zpsedf95e24.jpg~original

and the (blurry) stretch of road I dumped the oil:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/andy36586/streak_zps6918b794.jpg~original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
You could at a push use good old hand cleaner to degrease , and wash off with water

That's a not bad idea. Worth an experimental go.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Not sure if the photobucket links will work, but this was the oil on my back tyre..... does that count as a "bit of oil"?

Blimey!

Now post some video of some drifting around a roundabout in the wet on that tyre.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Im on Pilot Road 3. Never kiked them compared with the roadsmarts on before.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Wash off with detergent and water. If you're really paranoid, some brake cleaner on a rag will remove all traces.

I did think of using some kind of degreaser but wary of really damaging the rubber compound.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used brake cleaner before, does the job, but I've heard others say don't use it because it will corrode the rubber. If you're unsure, just use soapy water. But I'm fine with brake cleaner as long as you wipe it all off properly.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the tyre a good wipe with white spirit and wash off immediately with hot soapy water and then with plain water.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I've used brake cleaner before, does the job, but I've heard others say don't use it because it will corrode the rubber. If you're unsure, just use soapy water. But I'm fine with brake cleaner as long as you wipe it all off properly.

Carb cleaner isn't good for rubber, Brake cleaner is okay.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:45 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a massive burnout will get rid of the oil from your back tyre. Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR shat an oil cooler line last week on me, ended up spraying oil on the front wheel which was hairy as fuck.

Anyhoo, I've found Muc-Off sprayed liberally and scrubbed over the tyre does a perfectly good job of degreasing.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:

It's fine - it's designed to be used around rubber seals if you think about it. Thumbs Up

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I'm fine with brake cleaner as long as you wipe it all off properly.
Thinking

You can't be serious, surely?
You want poor old Ribenapigeon to ride 600 fookin miles just to do your dirty work?

Lazy bugger.

Yes, yes, I know your name's not Shirley.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we were on our way home from the Assen World Superbikes when one of our crew pulled over to the hard shoulder.A bottle of spare engine oil in the tail unit had leaked and gone all over his back tyre.We had only been there a short time when Dutch plod pulled in behind us.Once they had ascertained that it was no big problem they produced a bag of cement dust and after wiping off the excess oil with some tissue the tyre was liberally dusted.This quickly soaked into the remains of the oil between the tread pattern and we were on our way Dance!

Always have a 'Plan B'

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be true, all bikers in China carry a bag of cement....just in case.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/08/23E05D1F00000578-0-image-m-8_1418064045197.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
A few years ago I hadn't tightened the sump plug properly (after a hasty engine rebuild), and dumped most of the oil over the road and rear tyre... when I got it home I just washed it with washing up liquid and water and didn't worry about it after that

Thinking Ranting about MOT testers when you have warped discs, slack chain, sticky throttle...
Thinking Forgets to tighten sump plug, leaks oil all over tyre.
Thinking Has blue anodised pegs on his ZX6R.

You're quite special really aren't you?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
andym wrote:

Thinking Ranting about MOT testers when you have warped discs, slack chain, sticky throttle...
Thinking Forgets to tighten sump plug, leaks oil all over tyre.
Thinking Has blue anodised pegs on his ZX6R.

You're quite special really aren't you?

Yes, yes I am

But the ZXR750(H1) had the blue anodised pegs fitted when I bought it from Paul. (despined_by_ex or whatever he's calling himself today)
The engine was removed, stripped and rebuilt in a few hours. I rebuilt my GPz750 over several months and it was only when I took it for an MOT I was told I'd forgot to put 2 engine mounting bolts back.... which for the half a tub of nuts and bolts I had left over, I thought was pretty good going for someone who had never done much work to a bike before that.
The discs on the ninja have never been warped, close to minimum yes, but never warped

HTH Thumbs Up

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:12 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF an M O T tester fails a machine, it's fair to say he should show you the fault

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
produced a bag of cement dust and after wiping off the excess oil with some tissue the tyre was liberally dusted.This quickly soaked into the remains of the oil between the tread pattern and we were on our way Dance!

I think cement has that stuff cat litter has thats super absorbant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
produced a bag of cement dust and after wiping off the excess oil with some tissue the tyre was liberally dusted.This quickly soaked into the remains of the oil between the tread pattern and we were on our way Dance!

I think cement has that stuff cat litter has thats super absorbant.

'Cement' (Portland wot Bob the Builder uses) is baked Limestone (Calcium Carbonate).

Cat Litter is Bentonite (Aluminium Clay).

Both will make a cement and both are absorbent. Cat Litter would be easier to sweep up though.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Im going to try mucoff first then try the brake cleaner option if the tyre still feels off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2