Drones tips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Drones tips Reply with quote

I need some info on Drones.

Ah' ken aw aboot Bag Pipes, it's the flying ones I am on about Rolling Eyes .

I bet it is another money pit like gowf and motorbikes. So before I lash out in one direction I would like some input from a 'trusted' source.

(I also thought to ask the Geeks at bcf.)

I seen a clip from my local area that was quite impressive as far as altitude, range, stability and the resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzFzFXfztM

The beast used was a DJI Phantom 3 (WETFTI)

I found some sold here as example:

https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/st/dji-phantom-3-standard-drones-and-parts

Any ideas?

Thanks,

MCN Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phantom3 is now rather old tech, it has good range and decent image quality (photo or video) but it's a noisy crude old thing compared to the current hot DJI models which are the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.
The Air has just been released and has better video than the Pro, however it's range is substantially less.
In practice this means you will struggle to go much beyond line of sight you should stick to anyway so may or may not be a problem.

It is a money pit and hard not to be tempted by the regular slightly better options.

You need at least one extra battery (they aren't cheap) and some sort of case.
If buying now I'd go with Mavic Air.
Something better will be along in the spring I expect.

There are other makers, none of them are better, some are OK.
Cheaper options are generally harder to fly and ultimately not good value longer term
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my P4, what ever you get, buy as many batteries as you can lol,

https://phantompilots.com/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:12 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell happened to using catapults to wheech the gear over the wall into the exercise yard?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need some catapult to get ya video camera a few hundred feet up to film lol

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What the hell happened to using catapults to wheech the gear over the wall into the exercise yard?

I award fool karma for your grammatically correct use of 'wheech' in an English language sentence.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The Phantom3 is now rather old tech, it has good range and decent image quality (photo or video) but it's a noisy crude old thing compared to the current hot DJI models which are the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.
The Air has just been released and has better video than the Pro, however it's range is substantially less.
In practice this means you will struggle to go much beyond line of sight you should stick to anyway so may or may not be a problem.

It is a money pit and hard not to be tempted by the regular slightly better options.

You need at least one extra battery (they aren't cheap) and some sort of case.
If buying now I'd go with Mavic Air.
Something better will be along in the spring I expect.

There are other makers, none of them are better, some are OK.
Cheaper options are generally harder to fly and ultimately not good value longer term

Mavic Air? (£796.00)

You old Scatter-Cash you. Smile

Thanks for your detailed info. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
MCN wrote:

Mavic Air? (£796.00)

Thanks for your detailed info. Thumbs Up

No it's not, it's "only £21.36 a month" (for the rest of your life)....
Seems to be how everyone buys stuff nowadays from cars to laser eye surgery.

Buy something you can hardly afford to pay for then hope to die before the final payment is made.

Wink Thumbs Up

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£700 is a lot to chuck at a potential hobby that might not even be fun.
My drone got dispatched today. I went for a second hand Fleabay job (JJRC H11C - catchy!) which should give me about 10 minutes flight time per battery (3 of them).
By then I should have a fair grasp on whether or not it's going to be an enjoyable hobby, before working my way up to gimbals, GPS and other such expensive gubbins.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you compare it with, you can soon spend that sort of money on serious camera (or biking) gear.
Buying a cheap one with no GPS is a good way to put yourself off "because it keeps crashing".
Zooming about with a poor quality camera or no camera will get boring very quick, unless you are thinking more racing drones.

To get decent video you need to be able to see what the camera sees live - this would have cost far more to do until recently, without all the other useful stuff like pinpoint accurate mapping and perfect stability if you let go the sticks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a parrot bebop drone with sky controller that has been gathering dust pretty well since I had it. I flew it a couple of times but got bored with it very quickly.

Perhaps I should get it out and indulge in a bit of voyeurism with it. Cool

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It depends what you compare it with, you can soon spend that sort of money on serious camera (or biking) gear.
Buying a cheap one with no GPS is a good way to put yourself off "because it keeps crashing".
Zooming about with a poor quality camera or no camera will get boring very quick, unless you are thinking more racing drones.

To get decent video you need to be able to see what the camera sees live - this would have cost far more to do until recently, without all the other useful stuff like pinpoint accurate mapping and perfect stability if you let go the sticks.

You can buy toy stuff for 60 quid that has GPS on, and even gimbal control, it is a toy though.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
£700 is a lot to chuck at a potential hobby that might not even be fun.
My drone got dispatched today. I went for a second hand Fleabay job (JJRC H11C - catchy!) which should give me about 10 minutes flight time per battery (3 of them).
By then I should have a fair grasp on whether or not it's going to be an enjoyable hobby, before working my way up to gimbals, GPS and other such expensive gubbins.

I did the same and got the syma x5-sc1 so I could play around get used to the controls again and see if it's something I'd like to invest more time and money in as it's been years since I've flown RC.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a cheap 3D printer too so you can make replacement rotor blades etc Smile

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Get a cheap 3D printer too so you can make replacement rotor blades etc Smile

For what they cost, its cheaper to buy them, unless you are planning on some major crashing lol

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was tongue in cheek Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I did the same and got the syma x5-sc1 so I could play around get used to the controls again and see if it's something I'd like to invest more time and money in as it's been years since I've flown RC.

I bought one of these ages ago. At first, I'd fly it up and down the back garden with odd uncontrolled trip over next door's fence if I rotated it by mistake and lost my control bearings.
I never flew it in any wide open spaces until a month or so ago when my mate got one and invited me to go for a bit of a spin near his house at a rather handy site.
Safe to say it has rekindled my interest.

The camera on it isn't worth using but I'm not really interested in aerial filming anyway.
I'm just enjoying the dog fights, can't see myself blowing hundreds on one, to me they're just toys.

I noticed comments were disabled for the YouTube vid, probably got loads of stick for flying over roads and houses and noncing at the kids playing in the snow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You touch on a good point, it's becoming barely acceptable to fly them near anything worthwhile, though Scotland has more places to choose.
- and timing is everything.

English Heritage and Natural England claim to have banned their use. They don't have any control over airspace, but they can (probably) stop you taking off while on their land.
Note this isn't just Stately homes but quite wide areas such as marshland or foreshore they might control.

So ownership can be frustrating if nowhere nearby is suitable.
It's like riding a bike, to maintain your fine coordination you need to keep using it fairly regularly.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 08 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You touch on a good point, it's becoming barely acceptable to fly them near anything worthwhile, though Scotland has more places to choose.
- and timing is everything.

English Heritage and Natural England claim to have banned their use. They don't have any control over airspace, but they can (probably) stop you taking off while on their land.
Note this isn't just Stately homes but quite wide areas such as marshland or foreshore they might control.

So ownership can be frustrating if nowhere nearby is suitable.
It's like riding a bike, to maintain your fine coordination you need to keep using it fairly regularly.

Ive started to take it a bit more serious, and found most places are fine if you ask before you go, and follow a few simple safety rules,

even got permission to fly close to a prison, we were warned if it ventured over the wall it would be shot down !

ws4936
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Mavic Air? (£796.00)

if you don't want to get the latest and greatest - there is aways the spark.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ws4936 wrote:
MCN wrote:

Mavic Air? (£796.00)

if you don't want to get the latest and greatest - there is aways the spark.

Better be quick, DJI have pulled the Spark,
spooky it was on last nights show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2wlCWm58rY

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want. Sad

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a P2 when they first came out with a go pro. It was good at the time but i held off upgrading as the tech is and still is moving too fast. Mine flew away but i managed to kill the motors as it would not respond, meant to be a common thing with the P2 series.

Ive now got a Inspire 2 / X5S Apple Pro Res setup, the software has improved vastly, i would not consider range to be a factor as your stuck to 500m VLOS and 400ft.

DJI have the monopoly, their stuff is good, their service is shocking and i mean shocking.

My advice would be to check out all the rules as it can be very limiting to where you can / should fly a lot of red tape.

30 meters away during take off
50 meters away during flight
150 meters away from congested area

Im across the minch from you in Ullapool

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1970/3587/files/equipment_2000x.progressive.jpg?v=1509221606
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1