Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

That time of year again....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: That time of year again.... Reply with quote

I'm tempted by yet another bike change.

Currently have a Deauville for commuting duty which is performing admirably.
I also have a ZX7R, it's my second one, I bought it primarily as I missed my old one which was a long term love affair! But I think nostalgia is better left alone, after riding the deauville in the week, the 7r is far from pleasurable unfortunately, comfort wise.

My sv1000s has already gone to my brother, so if I sell the 7r I'll have some shed space again.

I'm tempted by a z1000, I'm a short ass but I was able to tip toe a gen1, it felt good, so did a gen 4. Plus the gen 1 looks brilliant.

More pricy options are the new Street triple R low and the z900.

Any other options worth noting? I fancy a decent all-rounder basically, hence the z900 and the street. I've owned a 2013 street triple R, which was fantastic, hence considering the new version.

Tl:Dr what naked to replace my ZX7R?

Cheers
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:06 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the gsxs1000 Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'9 with short legs and i've just picked up a Z1000SX - getting it lowered a bit but in all other aspects it fits perfectly.

Also considered a Tiger and a Triple but this came up, sat on it, felt instantly comfortable.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go back into Bristol Kawasaki and have another poke around, see if I can get a test ride on a z900 and a gen 4 z1000. i did actually have a test ride on a z900 booked, but I bailed last minute due to indecision and slightly pushy salesman when I went in last time. Also will try and get a 765 test ride at Fowlers.

The gen 4 z1000, z900 and 765 are a lot of cash but if it would be a long term keeper (something that has been rare with me! Longest survivor has been my first zx7r, at 5 years ownership) then I may entertain it.

One worry about a big naked (i,e around 1000cc), is that it will have the same effect the 2005 zx10r I owned had on me, which was that I found it hard work rather than enjoyable to ride. I preferred taking the 7r out as I could actually rag it.

Thanks for the replies so far, the z1000sx had crossed my mind, but I think the naked z1000 would be preferred given a choice. I did go to Fowlers to look at the gsxs1000 but they didnt have any in stock, there was a faired model, but it was sold so I couldn't take a seat!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I test rode the 765 Street Triple R low this morning, I thought I would let you know my thoughts incase any of you were interested, I did approximately 30 miles on it and was out for around 45mins.

For reference I am 5ft 6, 11stone plus gear, with stumpy legs, probably 28" inside leg. I tip toe all my bikes, this one is similar except I can get the ball or so of my feet down on each side at the same time. So an improvement on everything I've ridden before in that aspect.

Ok so here goes:

+ It looks fantastic in the flesh (my opinion, yours may vary)
+ Tiny tiny bike (seat height aside), it felt like a toy compared to my current bikes. I forget how small my 2013 str 675 felt, but I swear this feels smaller. Should have grabbed a sit on a 675 when I was there to refresh my memory.
+ Very light
+ Comfy enough seat
+ Engine note when on the throttle sounds fantastic, not so great off the throttle, a decent exhaust would fix that.
+ Ride by wire felt surprisingly clean and smooth, I've only ever had throttle cables before and while I think I prefer the heavier feel of a typical throttle, this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me given the plus sides are traction control etc.
+ Fast enough for me, supposed to be 10% more powerful than the 675, but it's been 18 months since I sold mine and I couldn't say it felt that much different. Back to back may be a different story.
+ Managed to activate the traction control on a wet gravelly surface, no drama.
+ Superb brakes
+ Dash is great, best I've ever had the pleasure of using.
+ Crisp and clean gear shifts, very light clutch

- mirrors are awful, I couldn't see a thing despite my best efforts to adjust them.
- rock hard rear shock, I did have a glance and it appeared to be on a low preload setting already.
- indicator didn't feel right, would probably get used to it, it isn't your typical indicator switch with loads of feel.

So there we have it, the seat height being low was great, it was a very easy to ride bike. It felt very similar to the 675, just lighter and a bit more refined. I suppose that is a good thing considering how good the street triple 675 is.

I intend to get a test ride on a z900 next and see how that fares, proper throttle, similar seat height, more torque and a bit more power (though the triple didn't exactly feel lacking), 20kg extra weight, no fancy electronics aside abs.

I'll keep you posted
Cheers
Mike

Last edited by bacon on 20:08 - 07 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had a test ride on a z900 today so I'll try and compare it to the Street Triple R low model.

Seat height - Nice and low, not quite as low as the Street Triple R LRH, but still pretty damm good. The benefit of the z900 here is that it wouldn't feel like a gimped version, whereas the LRH Triumph with its different suspension would feel a bit of a compromise.

+ I think it looks great, equally as good as the Street, especially in Red, though the new bargains appear to be in Green, or Grey/green.
+ Comfort wise I felt the seating position was decent, the seat was on the hard side but not uncomfortable. Probably an even score here
+ Suspension felt slightly softer to me than the Triumph, I didn't exactly give either bike a really good seeing to in the bends, but this felt composed
+ Great throttle response and power delivery, very ver smooth, no fly by wire throttle so this felt more familiar to me
+ Brakes felt strong, though I think the Triumphs were slightly better
+ Very fast, felt quicker than the 765 due to the torque available from very low down in the rev range, power output isnt actually that much different
+ Exceptional gearbox and clutch, slightly better than the 765 in that regard
+ Short gearing, so you can still hammer through the first few gears before going silly fast. I would probably prefer to cane the 765 though
+ Useful mirrors

+/- Feels like a proper bike, much more substantial, I put it as a positive with the Triumph that it was small and felt like a toy, but at the other end of the spectrum this felt good for the opposite reasons.
+/- 20kg disadvantage when compared with the Triumph but at no point did it feel heavy

- Dash is a bit basic, a proper rev needle would have been better than the wierd lcd rev counter. Triumph wins by a mile here
- Exhaust didn't sound as good as the Triumph when opened up
- no aids aside ABS

So where am I in regards to what I prefer....I wanted to prefer the z900 (slightly cheaper, not a gimped version), but I think the 765 has that better balance of power for the road, it sounds better, more toys etc, so my instinct is the go with the Triumph...

Hmm, hard decision!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in case anyone cares I've decided on a bike and it's neither the Striple 765 or the z900....doh!

My old Audi A6 auto gearbox shat itself the other week, so I decided that a cheap couple k car and something cheaper would be better than spending £8k or so on either of my original options.

So I've gone and put a deposit down on a 2016 MT09, the model with TC...I've not ridden one before, but it's a good enough deal that I'll see how it goes over summer, I'll update with photos when I get it at the weekend. But it's a low miler and appears to be very clean!

Roll on the wheelies Smile

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I've owned a 2013 street triple R, which was fantastic, hence considering the new version.

Cheers

that it is Very Happy

I must say I've enjoyed your old stripler immensely through 2 winters now with regular ACF50's. It's an amazing piece of machinery and has done me well.

I thought I'd be rid of her now through boredom, but to be honest it's such a pleasurable ride and still puts a smile on face every time.

Also went and test rode the new 765RS and had much the same thoughts and opinions as you, everything just felt slightly more refined (except the mirrors Laughing ) but to be honest I was happy to get back on the old one, probably because of the exhaust though, got told off by rozzer the other day for the SC Project haha

I think this summer I'll be looking for a change though, my shortlist so far is

MT09 SP
Duke 790 (waiting for more details on R)
Hypermotard (I know I should know better)
765RS

Interesting pick on the MT09, definitely going to book a test ride on the SP now that it's warming up a bit.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the MT09 was never on my shortlist tbh, but it seems very good value and a fun ride. I imagine the SP model has most of the handling issues resolved.

I'll be giving feedback as soon as I've had a decent ride on it, I'm expecting pogo suspension and a rediculous engine, haha, but hopefully the suspension won't be too undersprung with me on it, being fairly light etc, it may still be under damped.

We will see, I'm hoping it lives up to the hype, that sort of super motard feel to it.

That SC project GPM2 is my favourite exhaust I've had on any bike!!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have a blast. Every single ride. Fun fun fun. Mine has no TC just ABS. Presumably you weren't able to ride it
because used? Check the recalls have been dealt with before you ride it away. Happy to join you for a blat someday if
you're a Bristol area member, you can check out my Akra Cool I've called mine a jet powered BMX before now. It's a bit of
a brute compared to the 675 Striple, I rode one of those before I ever got on the MT. What clinched it for me was that the
Triumph was TOO easy to ride fast, yet it never felt like it was powerful enough to just casually deposit me off of the back
of it. The first time I cracked open the throttle on the MT and Shocked Shocked Shocked my first thought was "this things gonna kill me..... Sold!"

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a private sale, but it's a couple of hours away at best, so I put a deposit down so that he removed his for sale ad. I'm going down Friday evening with a van.

But it's 18 months old, 5k on the clock and looks to be in rather good nick as you would expect. It's had its running in service and it's first year service. It's had the appropriate recalls such as the lower bar mount etc, what other recalls were there? It's also had an ECU flash to smooth out the throttle control.

Anything I've missed?

As for Bristol, yeh I live nearby in Clevedon, but commute to Emerson's Green so you may see a dull grey Dullville on the ring road Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
Anything I've missed?

Does it have a fucking sick exhaust, that is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not.... Will be keeping my eye out for something tasty

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Does it have a fucking sick exhaust, that is all.

QFT. Mine does. Razz A nice loud pipe really suits this bike, just watch that if you opt for used that the underslung Akra

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/akrapovic_yamaha_mt-09_14_s-y9r3-haft.jpg

hasn't been damaged having bottomed out on the base. Assuming new watch the bumps, Warning! This one is sold
as titanium (but is really just a Titanium wrapped silencer with S/S downpipes).

Of the three warranty friendly "Yamaha approved" Akra exhausts the flat tracker scrambler style one is the dearest at +/-1.2k
But it' s really made to suit the Sport Tracker variant like mine because numberboards.
https://yamabits.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/a/yamaha_90798-32405-00-high-mounted-exhaust-system.jpg

followed by the "Titanium" underslung one pictured first above at around £900 quid

and the cheapest (and loudest) of the three is the c/f can and stainless downpipes combo at approx £700.

But that one is labelled as not road legal, because no cat. All three will produce a healthy blue flame on overrun and according
to Yamaha, neither of the three require altering of the fuelling.

https://media.peterstevens.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/590x590/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/y/a/ya90798-324c1.jpg

Without my warranty to protect, I'd have spent a lot less but I bought my Spacker new from Fowlers and wanted to avoid
possible future warranty wriggle outs, I had them fit it too, I opted for the LOUD carbon fibre jobbie BTW.
Then took the baffle out to quieten the backfiring down a bit, it's boomier but less bangy if you catch my drift.

This should help you make sure it's all up to date recall wise.
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx

JHS racing do a full suspension front and rear upgrade for these all in and fitted for about 1100 quid but being honest
at my level of skill, the bike seems happy enough with the stock kit.

I'd give it a day or two before you start running round in A mode, it's pretty snatchy until you're used to the throttle.
Not because of fuelling but because of the sea of torque at your fingertips. Mines also had the reflash not that it
tames A mode much. Sod all wind protection, so anything north of 100 for a prolonged period will see you struggling
to keep your weight forwards and head down, a combination of bolt upright riding position and the lack of cover.
The best thing about this bike is how it pulls, and pulls and pulls regardless of current gear/revs.

I'll look forward to your review. Thumbs Up

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the sport tracker come with an Akra as standard? Found one on a spare repairs eBay ad. He wants £300 and claims it was on the bike as standard, and that it is a full system. Legit? Photo makes it hard to see if the headers are indeed Akra or not!

Last edited by bacon on 20:52 - 07 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, mine had the standard exhaust on it. I pillion various peeps a fair bit so as much as I wanted the high level exhaust I
thought the carbon fibre one suited the bike more and wouldn't burn the wifes butt. There's not a ton of room on the
back of the MT09 at the best of times. The sport tracker exhaust came with an adaptor so you can move the r/h
numberboard out a bit to accommodate the pipe behind it.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zMwPAIm_CZo/maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not sure how that will translate to an MT09 with the standard plastic side panels. It was 1300quid new when I was
on the hunt, I spent a bit more than half of that sum on my C/F system. All three have lovely welds btw. Thumbs Up The U-bend in my
pipe just before the silencer is a thing of beauty.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay number 282865508152

That's the one. Looks dirty but he says it's tidy enough. Can't tell if it's the stock headers though

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Street Rally, a brighter more modern looking special edition than mine which has more retro leanings.
It was styled by someone who designed training shoes in a previous life I reckon. That looks to be the underslung Akra,
it was a dealer freebie with the bike for short while to help shift units and it also looks like it's bottomed out at some point,
there should be a discernable angle on the front of the silencer and it looks dented to me. (see attachment) But you would have
to cut the original silencer off of the original headers as they do not separate by design, so in that it came out
of the dealer like that then I believe the bloke, nor can I see any reason or easy method of attaching the "Titanium"
backbox to the OEM steel headers without some skillful welding. So I'd expect the headers to be S/S as supplied to
be honest. An easy way to tell is if the silencer has MT09 printed on it next to the makers name, then it was a dealer
upgrade. A fully aftermarket, sold separately akra of this type won't have the MT09 detail.

The Akra headers are a VERY different design to the OEM ones

Handy front on pic of the standard exhaust headers on a Street Rally
https://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Yamaha-MT09-Street-Rally_MG_34491.jpg

https://www.bikesdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/yamaha-mt-09-street-rally-side-view.jpg

vs one with an Akra underslung (Baffle removed)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/3fYAAOSw6n5XrfTt/$_86.JPG

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/media/1143682/main.jpg?width=1280&height=960&mode=max

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha, Street rally, not sport tracker!

Cheers for the info, going by the shape of them they look like Akra headers, but the whole thing does look a bit ropey. I'll ask him about dents but tbh I'll keep looking

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after a very long 7hr round trip last night (including loading, payment etc) in what has to be the most uncomfortable van the hire company could find (Peugeot Boxer in case anyone else thinks it might be a good idea), I am now the proud owner of a 2016 MT09!

Haven't had chance to take my own photos yet but here are a few from the advert.

It was raining most of the day today but I took it out for a quick ~20 mile bimble or so this evening. I didn't ride it particularly hard but I can make comparisons with the z900 and 765 as I didn't ride those hard either!

But here we go, initial impressions, using roughly the same criteria as before:

Seat height - It is a very narrow bike, so while it's taller (815mm), when sat towards the tank and with the soft rear shock it sags nicely and I can get my tip toes down, plus possibly a little extra. So while it isn't as low as the z900 or the 765, its pretty decent. I won't be complaining. Oh I measured my inside leg the other day, 28.5" Laughing

+ Looks wise I think it looks better than both the striple and the z900.
+ I have read complaints about the stock seat but to me so far it seems really comfy, maybe my bony arse is on my side here.
+ very very light, compared to my 7r it must be at least 40kg lighter, maybe 50+ kg lighter than the deauville, I believe it is very similar to the 765 in weight. 191kg wet!
+ Brakes felt pretty damm good to me.
+ What a sweet engine, pulls very hard from very low down, it also sounds great. Big win here, my favourite of all 3, an akra would certainly liven it up even more!
+ Gearbox not quite as smooth as either 765 or the z900, but nothing wrong with it at all.
+ I can see out of the mirrors, so better than the 765.
+ Handling seems fine so far, much softer than the z and the striple, I've heard it's not meant to be great when you're pushing on, so I'll certainly be able to get back to you on that once I've had a bit more time on it.
+ Dash is decent, better than the z900, obviously not as good as the full tft on the 765.
+ I love the seating position and the wide bars

+/- Rear shock is pretty soft, so while it helps me touch the ground it does feel a little bouncy.
+/- The throttle gets a lot of bad press, my bike is supposed to have been reflashed (though I believe they have had a new map since 2015?), so perhaps it's been updated again since. I found that from a closed throttle to small throttle openings it is quite on/off. Compared to the 765 striple this isn't close to it's smoothness, and even further from the z900 which is even better than that.
I will probably get used to it, it isn't awful, but it's very noticeable to me at this early stage.

So, to summerise, I think it's fantastic Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to mine from a twin so it felt smoother and less snatchy to me. I may look at the JHS racing suspension
upgrade in a years time if I keep it, JHS is only a short ride from my house and I've found them nice people to
deal with in the past. I had them adjust my suspension to suit my weight etc and its noticeably better to ride.
There are drop links available if you want it lowered an inch or two.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT-09-MT09-Lowering-Kit-2014-2015-2016-Drop-Links-Linkage-Dogbones/231281900076?epid=1429789561&hash=item35d979ba2c:g:kDcAAOSwGzlTwopi

I think they look loads better with the black frame. A little screen will help a bit with wind. I've ridden mine with and without
the front numberboard and you can feel more wind without it. Are your wheels black?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be lowering it, not a fan of messing with geometry, but cheers for the link.

This was just a quick bimble, so nothing comprehensive, I think the throttle is something I'll get used to, it's not a deal breaker by any means. Just a little on/off at low throttle openings.

I'll set the front and rear to stock settings soon, after taking note of where they are currently set, then set the sag F+R and go from there. Yup the wheels are black (I think).

Bottom line though, this bike was a bargain and I am chuffed with it Cool

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely that!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of modds that need to be done to make the throttle response smoother ... adjustin the tps. Up tight and takin up any slack in th cable .. also filing down the lobe in the throttle twist grip .. and a kev mod .. electronic device which works on the closed loop circuit .. plugge in to the lambada sensor circuit...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2