Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My honda cg clutch is wobbling on the shaft

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

PerithTV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: My honda cg clutch is wobbling on the shaft Reply with quote

What happend was i was riding along on my honda cg 125 1996 and was in 4 gear doing 50mph when the engine lost all power i then pulled in the clutch dumped it. The bike started running agian but when i went above a certain rev point the bike would hit a redline (not the actual redline) and would actually start to lose power and would get very hot. i got the bike home just about. I thought it must be the clutch so i opened it up and the clutch wobbles on the shaft like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Xc5jMN_ws

I never opened the clutch up before but i doubt that much play in the clutch is normal. I'm waiting on the 4 point socket at the moment to remove the oil filter while i wait what do you think the problem is? I can't get to the clutch basket to check till the socket arrives so it would be good if i can get the right part as i get the socket. Also while im here i'm going to replace the plates, steels and springs.

thanks for reading !!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:56 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custard test time.

6 year old, French youtube video is 6 years old and French.

Please post a picture of your heat-seized CG125 with a pot of custard in the shot to prove you are a real person.

Given current evidence, I'd suggest it's been left lying in the road on its side with oil spilling everywhere.

PerithTV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:39 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would never believe me if i said it but in 2018 i don't actually own a camera

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: aldi Reply with quote

go to aldi and get the cheap go pro camera, you will need it !

a kid with no camera phone in this day and age !

I only have a normal phone, one that does not make the toast, but I'm over 60 ! :D

ps you know of cmsnl and don't forget a new gasket.

Think why it would be a bad idea to use gasket sealer in this application ?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I doubt it's a clutch problem in any case from what you describe. Sounds like a heat seizure. That will require a top-end strip down at a minimum to investigate. As a first step I'd have a look at the plug electrode, see if it looks scorched/white/nibbled.

The only time I've known a CG125 to heat seize is if it ran out of oil or has been fucked about with in a hipster fashion by removing the airbox and fitting a straight through pipe without setting it up to suit. I suppose an oil pump failure could also do it but this would be a very rare occurrance on a CG125.

Given you claim to not have a camera, it can't be hipster nonsense because how would you put pictures of it on instagram otherwise?

So, what was the oil like that came out and was there as much of it as there should be?

PerithTV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:54 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a camera on my phone however my dog is a right lad and thought it would be funny to chew my phone the cameras cracked and so is the screen!

One thing i did notice is that the oil pump was not seated properly. I'm gonna take off the cylinder head tonight to see what the barrel and piston are like brought a gasket kit as well as i know i'm gonna need it for the top end and the clutch cover. One of the things i'm thinking is maybe one of the rings has snapped and the other one just kept the compression high enough to keep it running. The bike will still start. however i cannot get it to idle no matter where i position the mixture screw in less i ramp up the idle to scary grunting levels.

plug also looks grey is but more towards the darker grey meaning it was running on the lean side a lot of carbon on the tip of the plug as well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PerithTV wrote:
I do have a camera on my phone however my dog is a right lad and thought it would be funny to chew my phone the cameras cracked and so is the screen!

One thing i did notice is that the oil pump was not seated properly. I'm gonna take off the cylinder head tonight to see what the barrel and piston are like brought a gasket kit as well as i know i'm gonna need it for the top end and the clutch cover. One of the things i'm thinking is maybe one of the rings has snapped and the other one just kept the compression high enough to keep it running. The bike will still start. however i cannot get it to idle no matter where i position the mixture screw in less i ramp up the idle to scary grunting levels.

plug also looks grey is but more towards the darker grey meaning it was running on the lean side a lot of carbon on the tip of the plug as well.

Really?

And no one else you know has a camera phone or any other sort. Are you a Billy No Mates?

PerithTV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dogs my mate

PerithTV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:39 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

went and got myself a iphone 5 sadly no custard. Also I found the problem a snapped valve spring. Don't know if anyone has ever had this issue on their cg. But if u ever have my symptoms i hope this helps now for some juicy pictures

https://i.imgur.com/V0z8rIs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Du71XSb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7E9WUHq.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an odd thing to happen.

Makes me wonder if it became coil bound. Tappet could have closed up. Have a good look round the valve seat for signs of scorching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1